Move to CA... Reasons not to?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rippinNtearin, May 18, 2015.

1. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
  2. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I rarely ride anything larger than a 6'10" on IOP. The size on Folly is almost always very similar to the size on IOP.

3. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    How many times in your life have you seen a great white? Honestly. And I don't mean during shark week on Discovery Channel. I just don't get why people want to exterminate a species simply out of fear. Especially when there is a 1:100000000 chance you will ever see this animal.

4. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I would not come down there Clementine. I'd end up beating you to death with a 4 iron and have to go to jail for murder.

Plus I have told you a half dozen times I do not surf waves under stomach high and Frost seems to want to run the event in knee high surf.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    SH and cep...Oh Boy...

[video=youtube;ODtVrAeJ5GE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODtVrAeJ5GE[/video]

6. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Actually....

Yes real boards that are long and glassed that you can stand on weigh more than the boogie board...

However, ducking is more efficient with the real board.

Say what? You might say.

Yep. You can drop that sucka further under especially with the ability to push the tail down with a real surfer's foots. The balls of the foots.

Hey, I didn't know foots had balls.

Everything aboot sponging is more difficult except dropping-in. That's why mostly everyone surfs.

7. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Let me clear this all up:

Paddling is the most efficient way to move a sponge threw or through the flats.

Swim fins exist to compensate for lack of board length. Ok, imagine where a boogie boarders' feet are when paddling for a wave. So yeah that's where swim fins prove their worth.

Swim fins are just a luxury any other time. Paddling a boogie board is quicker than just kicking out(when paddling out). Yeah it's totally cool having fins and leisurely kicking against the drift.

As to what board is easier to paddle....

Dudes, it's the same thing. You learn where the spot is where your board's nose is just above water and you paddle. Same friggin theory for both boards. Sponges are more uncomfortable due to size. Real boards paddle quicker.

And all of this bailing of the boards and stuff....

That's the same thing too. Only difference is potential injury from real boards.

Ummm, potential cuts and gashes doesn't equate MORE TALENT.

And if boogies are only just aboot kicking in a wave and going....

Well surfing's all paddling, standing, and then going.....

Waves, conditions, surf breaks don't become more or less dangerous due to your equipment. Yeah the threat of getting slapped by a hard board lies exclusively with the "board," not a talent level. Waves don't care what you ride. They just want to hurt you. Just because your board can cut you doesn't make it a unique talent. It just means your board may be dangerous. But that's the same with Puerto Ricans, too.

A 4 foot Bayhead monster, is a four foot Bayhead monster, no matter what equipment you have. Just because your board has points and razors don't mean nothing. Puerto Ricans on Riker's Island also have points and razors. Some of them keep them in their mouth, razors that is. And speaking of prisons....

Since they get cut and stuff, are they more talented than boogie boarders?

8. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    we can wait til a tropical swell comes and run it in overhead closeouts...

9. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Wow this a long and winding tread.

We seem to have a shortage of Hindus in Charleston or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. No shortage of fine wahines and alcohol though.

I gotta knock out work today and fri. as I got a free place to stay at FB this weekend. Looks pretty flat but it'll be a zoo on da beach and I won't have to get in traffic!

10. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    There are no close outs you just need to surf faster! lol

I'm down with it.

11. boogitym

boogitym Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    So to answer your question... No there is no good reason to move to cali unless you like weather weed waves and women.... Then there is blacks

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012

13. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    well it all depends on the boards sizes and thickness IMO,..my 7' 10 NSp i paddled i felt like i was on a motorboat i really felt like i coulda went across the harbor and back...last week on my bodyboard i felt like i was going nowhere fast..i was slowly drifitng,drifitng away wave after wave,wave after wave..:)))...in essence isnt a surfboard at its heart a bodyboard only thinner and glassed on top? the basic bboard is foam..the basic surfboard is foam with glass..so now we have cleared that the shape of surfboard lends itself to cut through a wave better than the shape of a bodyboard paddling out..imo....a surfboard tends to be longer in length thus providing more foam,.most bodyboards are avg 45 in compared to say a funboard at 7 ft..so thats 3 extra feet of foam...

14. HARDCOREBOOGIEBOARDER-NJ

HARDCOREBOOGIEBOARDER-NJ Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I was thinking of putting razor blades and and knives sticking out the bottom of my boogie board all over the place so I can show how "talented" I am. I think this will also protect me from sharks. People will also not drop in on me if they see sharpened knives sticking out of my bottom skin. I think I will flash my bladed board at matunuck next time so I won't get run out of the water like last time! No one will dare drop in on me!

BUT....The question is...SHOULD I STILL WAX MY BOARD? :confused:

15. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    i wax mine..on steeper drops feels a lot better being one with the board than sliding around

16. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    This thread has become quote the doozy.

17. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    SH, you need to chill aboot the sharks. There's no sharks in Rhode Island. They ain't swimming up in that bay. Maybe one might say hello South Coast, but your too close to their spiritual east coast home - Cape Cod. Hey, I don't blame them. That place has a sharky feel to it. You'll be ok, dude.

And yes wax your boogie board. Wax the mid section and your nose/rail areas. Always use Zog's Sex Wax. Keep it real. Bubblegum is also acceptable, if you can find it.

But for some reason real surfers think that the potential hazards their boards present make them El Burro Mas Macho. And the really confused think their boards make a particular wave more hairy. The wave is the wave. It doesn't become heavier because of a certain style of board. The wave is the wave.

Man, I'm all confused right now.....

18. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    The "Hey Should I Move to California" is always a popular one on here. And it goes to reinforce that California is still The Apex Predator of the surf world.

19. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Truer words have never been spoken!

20. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007

No you wouldn't. Look at you.

image.jpg

meet me at my break Kung fu boy.