polyethylene vs polypropylene bodyboards

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by GODSxMOONBEAN, May 31, 2015.

1. GODSxMOONBEAN

GODSxMOONBEAN Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2014
    currently riding the famous mach 7. it rides pretty decent and there is no creases thus fare but I'm a little worried about its core. The mach 7 has a polyethylene core, which from what I've heard is not a great core material. anyways, what I'm trying to ask is that is it worth getting a new board with a polypropylene core instead? Will I notice a difference when riding? Is polypropylene better and if so how? Any feed back is appreciated.

2. southjerseysurfer

southjerseysurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2014

3. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    First depends on type of waves you will be riding...there are advantages and disadvantages to both

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

The advantages are that they both suck;
    the disadvantages are that they both suck.
    You choose.....

5. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    ah boy,

Polypro is definitely better. (overall performance wise)
    Polyeth is definitely worse. (overall performance wise)
    What you really need to be worried about is the slick/stringers/core combination.

Mach 7 isn't the best choice of "Pro" boards you could buy

It has a crappy slick, some models dont even have stringers (but others have a single stringer), Its got PE core, which Isn't great... I suppose it would be good for a beginner starter board.

Polypro is something you need to keep in mind, but its not just the core. Its slick, stringers and core.

if you really want to get into bodyboarding, my board suggestions are below.

I would go with either one of these two boards. These are the best boards for the money. I personally own the second board listed below and put it through many rough beatings and it's still one of the best boards I've ever seen. The reason it's great is because of the staggered stringers that it has. The stringers run slanted across the board instead of straight up and down it.

http://www.ebodyboarding.com/boards...6-2013-insidious-idol-43-bodyboard-18197.html

http://www.ebodyboarding.com/boards...n-signature-da-hammah-44-bodyboard-20314.html

Good luck, I hope I helped.

P.S... O barry.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  6. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Ay PP will be to stiff to get a balls deep scoop when the waters below 60ish

For North Eastern water temps like we got Id go with something blended dawg

NRG EFC all them fancy technologies

Or the PE mesh double stringer is another great option

Get your scoop on dawg

7. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Hawk heart I'm sorry but you have no clue what your talking boutz

If you drop more then 180 get a PMA custom

8. pussy

pussy Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Hawkheart's response is cool. How green are these materials we are talking about here?

9. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Green don't matter imp when ur about to drop on a steep heavy one and need something under you that you can depend on...

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Kermit the frog is green......

11. pussy

pussy Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Look all I'm asking for is if we are all on a similar plain when we are talking about something that is eco-friendly. And that's it. I don't need much, flippers, a speedo, and a swim cap and I am a happy camper.

12. GODSxMOONBEAN

Jun 30, 2014
    thank you for the insight

13. GODSxMOONBEAN

Jun 30, 2014
    I will have to check some of those boards with blended cores

14. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
  15. Iggy

Iggy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    PP is better for warm water. PE should work well in Rhode Island. I would contact Jay at ebodyboarding.com who can definitely help you out. You can also get a PMA custom through ebodyboarding.com. That's what I did.

16. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    polyethylene weighs a ton, its cheap, and is not durable at all in comparison to PP.. taking a big air drop in any temp water PE will snap like a twig. you can defend polyethylene all you want but only beginners should have a PE core due to its affordability.

as for stiffness below 60... i didnt really think of that, you're right about that one. but I would still go with PP durability and performance wise

edit: for shorebreak/beachbreaks/heavy stuff polypro will probably hold up a lot better... mushy stuff/nothing too heavy... PE is probably a better choice if water is below 60 degrees.. also I didn't realize you were in RI, moonbean, it probably getz pretty cold up there.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  17. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    You reaaaally want to go for Surlyn slick...

I had an HDPE slick board and the second day I had it I took it out it had a bunch of scratches on it, started peeling, and just didn't perform well... My Surlyn boards are a lot better and that's something you should keep in mind.

18. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Nah I wasn't saying your wrong about PE...when you throw mesh layers and stringers in the mix it ain't so bad
    Oh and your board choices are far too large...I'm 6ft aboutz 185 and ride a 41.5

The blended cores such as NRG and EFC are mixtures of low density PP...lower density in the rails a little higher in the center...you gets the durability of PP and the flex of PE all in one dawg

These boards won't turn you into rippa numba one two or three but they will improve the skills you already have

Errr body get yo scoop on

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  19. GODSxMOONBEAN

Jun 30, 2014
    Definetly got some tough decisions comin up about what core I want. Those blended cores are perfect but a little pricey (at least the ones I saw). How about arcel boards? I've been seeing them recently.