polyethylene vs polypropylene bodyboards

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by GODSxMOONBEAN, May 31, 2015.

1. GODSxMOONBEAN

GODSxMOONBEAN Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2014
  2. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I've seen broken stringers and creased boards, I've never seen a snapped PE core. Have you? I honestly don't think it's possible. Are you sure you're not thinking about the polystyrene cores on tourist boards?

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Good threadde buoys.

My only .02 is that a straight PE is only really needed for cold water...most of mine are PP 1-2 stringers..

But these blended/mesh cores seem (*)(*)

o barry

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yeah, but are they gluten-free??

5. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    know anything about TC boards and their EFC cores? The new T&C Bodyboad Elite model is another exciting addition to the high performance lines of T&C Bodyboards. This board has the new EFC core! EFC = EFC is simply polypro core at a 1.6pcf density surrounding a flex system. The flex can emulate any combo of PE that we wish to duplicate. So coupled with this 'skeleton' of stringer systems...PP at a lightweight is blown and molded around the skeleton system...without drilling into the cores like usually we have to do with 2.1pcf cores making them absolutely 'flex' less. We have classified EFC into different types. The TC Elites have an unnamed EFC Core type since they house 2x stringers that are tabular stringer [Grade A] with flex.

6. GODSxMOONBEAN

GODSxMOONBEAN Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Is 41.5 to small for a 185 pound, 5 foot, 10 inch male?

7. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Depends...should be just past your belly button, but could go a little higher for dk boards. I'm same height but heavier and most of mine are 42/42.5.

8. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    A lot of this is going to be personal preference. You have a board already, what do you like about it and what don't you like about it?

9. frost

frost Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    i prefer bigger boards myself,,,ive been able to paddle into more waves that i would have normally missed with the extra underneath me,even yesterday toward end of seession being a lil tired i caught a few late, just took one or two strokes to get into it and not miss it.... but was a try out in progress ive had 42.5 44 48 54 , the 42.5 was the fastest ive ever had but the one i ride now the 54 is a workhorse at catching waves

10. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    How about for a shourte female who is a pretty damn good cooke? She already has a wetsuite, BTW.

11. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Oh manne, that's actually hard advise to give...if she's shourte with the ability to cooke, she'll be able to familiarise herself with any size bourd and shred harder than all of us really.

12. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Thankes. That's what I was afeared of.

13. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
  14. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    This will work for ya bruh

Like SBX said it's a preference but personally I'd never ride a board that goes past me button

Anything past 43 and ya won't be able to crank those cool belly spinners to well

15. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    If they suck why did you click on here for?

Like, If there was some SUP thread I don't click on that because I have no interest. You'll also see I don't comment when y'all are waxing romantic aboot board shapes, designs...for real boards.

You know who sucks? You I bet.

Well, no one north of Long Island can surf anyways. Yeah we see some pics of dudes racing for the shoulder on big cane waves from S. NE...

But when have you seen a picture of anyone doing an air north of Long Island? A cutback even......

I've seen more pictures of bigfoot.

16. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Polypro is lighter, can be thinner, and has less flex. I like it better, but I never get colder than 60-ish degree water. Another vote for srlyn slick here. I wouldn't buy a dow core unless it was for a beginner.

You should be good for boards 41 to 43" If you ride mushburgers or fast waves and don't maneuver much, go bigger. If you're in steep square barrels, go smaller.

I just got a Mike Stewart Science to replace the one I leave on my secret island. Ebodyboarding still has some old models on sale. I'd go with that, if I were you. MS boards are incredible--super thin, responsive. Before I got one, I would've said it doesn't really matter, but I really feel like there's something about the Science boards that stands above everything else I've ridden. Here's my person list of preferences most to least:

Mike Stewart
    Toobs
    LMNOP
    Manta
    CustomX
    BZ

17. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    You know...

I don't know sh!t aboot this stuff.

Buying boards online is the best option these days because surf shops hate us.

Jawn, does Brave New World or any shops up north have any selection of sponges?

I like to see the board...feel the board....cup its testicles....

I know the board when I see it.......

Oh an old pal gave me a board the other year. I rode it for a year. 3 stringers(yuck) and too wide and too tall....

But man, once you get back on a right sized board.......it's like butter, baby.

18. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Yo Bump of Speed that's an interesting choice in boogie boarding companys

BZ hasn't made a board proper in a long time..no body likes a sell out

Science boards are legit I just never find one for a bargain..I'm frugal like that

New Jerseyian winter wave loves a PE mesh stringered combo..the only PMA custom I ever owned

19. JawnDoeski

Aug 11, 2014
    Nah dawg..none of the NJ shops got love for the boog no mo..I remember when dude at Surfs Unlimited used to have a bunch proper boards..I haven't bought a board from a shop in forever

20. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    That's why it's on the bottom. I've owned one, so I have to put them on there. Yes, they suck.

I got my last PP MS for about $160. When I boogered up in BOS, I did get a CustomX down single stringer for like $90 due to some crazy sale.

What's PMA?