Move to CA... Reasons not to?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rippinNtearin, May 18, 2015.

1. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Word.

Sharks too. Don't forget about the sharks. And Orcas. Big f'ng Orcas that'll bite your face off. ;)

2. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    "Oil seepage".

LA beaches are now inundated with oil from an "unknown source". All beaches closed and a health hazard until further notice. I can't wait to see the DNA codes and if its tied into the Santa Barbara spill. Co-incidence? Anyone want to place a bet? Barry? Dr. Kookmyer? Anyone?

3. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    A few tar balls never hurt anyone. Half my booties have a little old tar on them. Helps you stick to the board.

4. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Expensive - Unless you move to Indiana or Nebraska, cost of living is high.
    I was paying $2200/month for my apartment (ocean View) Starting Monday Im paying $775/Month and living 3 blocks inland... you can find affordable apartments if you look hard enough.

Earthquakes - Been in San Diego for 4 years and haven't felt a rumble

Sharks - Only saw one in La Jolla, didnt bother me any.

Santa Barb Oil Spill - Likely (and hopefully) wont see any of it south of Huntington

We got some solid swell for the next few days. Paddled out last night at the reefs and got some perfect tree footers with barely anyone out. It was a pretty popular spot too.

5. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Yeah, where is everybody? Surfed out?

6. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    You're young and live in a land of opportunity. If you want to go to Calif, go to Calif. Give it a shot. If you don't, you'll very likely regret it later.
    It's good to have a realistic plan. The grass isn't necessarily greener, and there may be challenges; but nothing ventured....

My 22 year old son, who was born in CA, wants to move back there upon graduating from college (ODU) next year. He knows some friends there. After seeing his ol' man take up surfing at 57, he wants to surf too.

Go for it, is what I say.

7. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    It's like that old myth, "the waves always look better down the beach a bit."

8. Masterjasson

Masterjasson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I recently turned down a job opportunity out there for the simple fact that I would be living to work rather than working to live. That, plus traffic, commute, cost of living, high population (People ruin everything), and some iffy flags that rose with the company I was interviewing with, I chose to stay on the east coast. Shoot man, 1.5 hours from the Outer-Banks, I make enough to keep my family comfortable and take a couple trips abroad every year. Yeah, The dead of winter and summer suck, flat spells suck. But, you just gotta weigh the options. In my case I'd be a fool to want anymore.

9. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    that **** always fks with me ,im like its firing down there even though i know its just the sand. distribution on the beach.

10. 75jbass

75jbass New Member

May 31, 2015
    I made the move from NY 7 years ago... I'd like to dispel some of the myths I've read in this post.

Expensive? Nothing is more expensive than NY. Find an apartment in NY for $1000 per month within walking distance to the beach.

Miss your friends and family? Your parents job is to prepare you to leave and find your own place in this world. Not try to keep you near them your whole life... Friends? Really? I come home sometimes and after a week of listening to their crap about the Yankees and Rangers and how nothing has changed in their lives I'm ready to vamos.

Crowded? Only when there's pumping swell. On most regular days there are so many spots you can always find uncrowded peaks I surf with less peeps than I ever did in NY.

I've never met anyone that came here and moved back to NY. They all say the same thing. They wished they moved here sooner.

But if you're looking for reasons not to go, you're probably not the type of person that can break the attachments of the east coast.... Anybody who knows what the eff they're talking about is never going to tell you to stay on the east coast. The waves suck there, we both know that. I surf every day I want to. I have to find reasons not to surf. California is better than the East coast in every way, period end of story. Let others in this thread stay there and eat cheesesteaks, man up and make a move before it's too late.

If surfing is your life there's one choice to make... The only reason you won't go is FEAR.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  11. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Why must you do this to my mind?

12. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    This is a damn solid first post. We wanna know more about you. A "Hello" thread is in order.

13. Masterjasson

Masterjasson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    ....and then there is a mountain of truth told in that as well. +1 on the thread. Although, NY is on the top of the list on places I'd personally never live.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  14. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    this is great and so spot-on, however I do have one issue with the "miss your friends and family" concept. For a lot of people, well me anyways, its not like "I can't live without mommy and daddy a phone call away" its more like "I want a double-income family..but don't want my kids raised by day-care workers"

15. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Hey, don't get wise aboot my cheesesteak comment.

Ahhh, you just couldn't handle New York........

And all y'all who move to California, you ain't local you just live there...now.

California isn't better than the east coast in every way. Yeah, we have water for one thing. We don't build houses on the sides of foothills either, and then watch them slide away.

Sans Manhattan, we aren't a fake, plastic society full of suburban tough guys who think they are rough because the East Coast's Tu Pac lived in Oakland for two years.

Wow, you surf the scarps of California by yourself. Congrats. There's a reason no else is out with you......

(LOUD APPLAUSE) Wow you are friggin el burro mas macho because you moved somewhere. Wow. I used to livemi9n Rabbit Valley and yeah, California's grandness is a Hollywood myth. The locals, the real native locals, can't stand the place anymore.....

Because of the transplants......brave transplants who make the courageous step to ride covered wagons past Seldom Seen and his Indian tribe to the promised land of deserts, ghettoes, the united colors of Beneton, and Suge Knight.

Certain California wineries are using sewer waste water for their vino.......

CALIFORNIA - HEY WE'RE PACKED, WE DON'T HAVE ANY WATER, SO GO HOME !!!

16. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007

Man, New York.

The drunk battle cry from New York is "You don't know me, I'm from New York!" This is often heard right before the new yorker is knocked out. What's with that Riley? I've never felt the need to rep my state before an altercation. During my limited time in Queens and Manhattan I felt like everyone was a bunch of sweethearts trying to keep all interpersonal contact to a minimum. Zero eye contact. Does that make sneak attacks easier?

Granted, I don't think I went to any of the seedy areas or maybe I did and didn't know it. Also, I've never seen a NYer say this in NY.

17. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Right, the New Yorker always gets knocked out, huh?

People announce their state because that means their state has a rep.

Like, any South Carolinian visiting New Jersey, would be ill-advised to claim their state because that state has NO rep.

Southerners are always trying to point out how they manhandle Yankees when they encounter them. I don't believe a word of it.

I lived all over, and the south, besides Overtown, ain't sh!t on the el burro mas macho scale. There ain't no Bridgeports in the south.

Like, the hoods in Chucktown are gay. And they answer to New York.

Right, good ol boys with the guns and macho sleeveless t-shirts.....

Yeah, but good ol boys shoot deer not people.

Anyways, Jersey and New Yorkers announce their origin so people know what they are dealing with.

Trust me, it ain't no rougher than the stretch between Philly to New York. So, we are considerate before Larry the Cable guy knocks us out.

The Queensbridge Projects are the go to spot in New York. I think. Queensboro....something like that. They are plenty intrapersonal there.

18. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    We have projects a couple of blocks from the beach, plenty of apartments under 1000 in there. The waiting list is long, though.

19. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    In my experience the NYer has been knocked out (am I sounding like DPSup?). I generally wasn't even involved so don't think I'm trying to earn iTough points either. There are plenty of tough people wearing all varieties of sleeve lengths. Some of the toughest people I know wear turtle necks and don't even roll the sleeve up.

I'll give you crazier but I won't say tougher.