6th attack today at KOA in Rodanthe - wtf??

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Wahoowa, Jun 27, 2015.

1. HARDCOREBOOGIEBOARDER-NJ

HARDCOREBOOGIEBOARDER-NJ Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Of course. Big eats little. Especially for bull sharks and tigers. Tiger sharks eat tires.
    Whites can be pickier because they like super rich in fat seals so sometimes they'll reject a human AFTER taking a bite out of him that is likely fatal. They've done studies on this with different animal carcasses seeing which on the white shark rejects. But you're already bitten in half by the time the white shark decides to reject your carcass so it's irrelevant.

This is another example of the propoganda machine at work. They want it to seem like a "mistake" so people don't look at the sharks as "bad". It's all manipulation. "Aww... it was just a mistake by the poor shark". LOL. It's a public relations campaign built on bull**** and lies. It's a stupid fish. It's motivation is meaningless. It's like a gold fish going for food at the top of the tank. It forgets it's entire life every 30 seconds. Give me a break with this nonsense.

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Golden opportunity for you, shart snoofer, you could make some real dinero here!

Cruise on down to the OBX with your Cap'n Quint tee & your 'Orca' ballcap on - - let the locals know that you're the ace from New England, front & center, ready to resolve their apex predator issues.

Your motto: 'Nobody need no steenkin' bigger boat - - shart snoofer is on it!'

3. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014

Barry, thats my favorite post you've ever made...

In San Diego area I stepped on fish twice in like thigh deep water. After that I got skeered and I would start paddling on my way out when the water hit my knees.

4. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Me too, more or less. Waist deep and I'm on the board, paddling - especially lately. Seems like most of these folks in OBX are hit while wading waist deep.

5. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Is it just me or does it seem like they go after swimmers more? I know this isn't true in Australia but it seems like on the east coast and in the gulf i always here about swimmers being attacked as opposed to surfers.

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    swimmers are in shallower water most attacks happen in a few feet to waist. we surf in deeper water. the sharks feed in the shallower water by the shore where the most bait fish are. the warm summer waters bring a lot of bait fish they try to escape the bigger fish that's why they are in such shallow water. also think about how many swimmers are on the beach then surfers... the ratio is crazy. so believe it or not a surfer during the summer time has better odds in winter they are the only ones in the water so they are the only odds. but how often do shark attacks happen in winter? minus florida that still has 78degree water in palm beach.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    ^^There aren't many swimmers in the water for the sharks to bite now, though. Most of them are staying out, so I guess that makes our chances worse now, right?

When I got out of the water on Sunday, the tourists on the beach were looking at me like I was retarded.

8. GODSxMOONBEAN

GODSxMOONBEAN Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Tuna is a totally different story though. Very unfair comparison. Have you even seen the blue fin tuna stocks?
    It's god damn ugly bro.every time I see those illegal nets in the Mediterranean I got heated. So sad.

9. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
  10. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    The local news says it was an attack by "marine life" at Okacroke.

11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I just heard from local fisherman outta Oregon Inlet that they are opening up shark fishing for first time in years. 31 per boat limit or something like that. Has anyone seen this? supposedly starting this month.

Said, its the worst he has seen. He had 6 Tuna on last week and only got three in the boat cause da grey suit stole their tuna man...crazy!!!

12. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I just heard from local fisherman outta Oregon Inlet that they are opening up shark fishing for first time in years. 31 per boat limit or something like that. Has anyone seen this? supposedly starting this month.

Said, its the worst he has seen. He had 6 Tuna on last week and only got three in the boat cause da grey suit stole their tuna man...crazy!!!

13. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Most people survive white shark attacks.

They don't get "bitten-in-half."

Some say these bites are "exploratory" in nature. As they could do more damage if they wanted to.

Jeez, surfing isn't wearing spandex and riding a bicycle in some race with the local authorities making everything safe for you.

That's part of what makes surfing special and unique - we leave the continent and venture out in the sea.

There's dangers in the ocean. Take-up rock climbing. No sharks on mountains. No tropical jellyfish. No Silver Strand Locals. Just don't fall off the rock you are climbing, but that's what harnesses are for.

Oh yeah, no harnesses in the ocean. Just floaties that you put on your upper arms. My pair is pink.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Dude, that's so hawt!

15. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    You'll kill and eat cows and pigs but putting up shark nets is unfair because its their environment....

16. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    fcking conservationists have made the coastlines unreasonably dangerous. No creature gets a pass. sharks should be hunted, with number limitations enforced. No reason to let the numbers grow out of control.
    Also you have to give the big sharks some credit where credit is due. they've survived every mass extinction event we know about. No way we could ever rid the ocean of them. But as usual people over do it in one direction or another.

17. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    You and that shark hunter dude need to apologize to the sharks NOW!

Oviously your anti-pelagic diatribes have them riled up mightily.

Suck it up and post an apology video to the sharks asap. Until then, there will be more blood on YOUR hands.

Have a safe 4th of July!

18. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I'm pretty sure I saw this shark about a month ago surfing Croatan. Thought it was a big ass dolphin, until its tail fin poked out of the water. Also, its dorsal and tail fin faded to white at the tips (leading me to think it was not a bull). Grey fins that faded to white at the tips, and at least 7 feet long. Once I realized what it was, I paddled in, didn't even wait for a wave.

Also, I was surfing 74th street the day the kayakers saw those bull sharks at 78. Lots of bait fish swimming around in the shorebreak... Sketches me out thinking about it...

19. Wahoowa

Wahoowa Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    So I'm going to Rodanthe Sunday for four days. Am I a wuss for not paddling out? I am torn between being bummed not doing what I love and fear of dismemberment by an apex predator. What does a wuss-boy do?