First board you ever bought?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by LazyE, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Mine was a bright orange used 6'8" natural art sgl. fin. Paid 80 bucks for it the thing was built like a tank.. Surfed all one summer on it. Ended up selling it and going to a 5'8" twin NA. Wish I had kept it.

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    6'0" Hotline squashtail thruster

3. bbop1322

bbop1322 Active Member

Feb 27, 2013
    8'7" Blue Fun board off of Craigslist for $220

4. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    6'2 Pearson Arrow.

It was way too thin and it sucked. Sold it ASAP.

5. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
  6. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Bummer.

The guy I bought mine from told me it was a good starter board and in a season or so I would want something else. He was right .I think it was a good first board. I still can remember the stoke when I got to were I could go down the line and turn a little. Worked my butt off to get a NA twin and a wetsuite the next year.

7. NJ glide

NJ glide Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    first board was a hand me down 6' 8" town and country, first bought was a perfection from garden city sc.

8. dalecooter

dalecooter Member

Jul 31, 2013
    6'2" g wilson fish it's now part of a wall in the children's wing of a hospital in new hanover county

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    6'8" was my first board. I saw it in Vitamin Sea surf shop KDH but my Mom would not get it for me (since I had only ridden a few waves on my cousin's friend's board). She said, I just bought you a new "Morey Boogie" (remember the ones all orange and white) last year lol! Anyway, mom surprised me with it the next week ($75...which was a lot for her to spend on me back then).

It was a CB board (that's all I remember). I have no idea who or where it was shaped because at the time there were only a few local shops. I told my friends it was a "California Board"...CB because it was cool.

Anyone know of a shaper/brand CB from over 30 years ago? It was short lived and eventually saved up enough to buy 5'6" Swallow/Twin from WRV

10. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    cool.

11. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Double up

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
  13. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    70s single fin "Challenger" I bought at a pawn shop for $100. Board was about 7 ft long, which was a longboard to me because I was only about 5 ft/100 lbs.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I saved up enough money at my 1st job to buy a 6'4" BAT from Suncoast Surfshop on Treasure Island, FL. Wrong shape for a beginner, I'd love to surf that thing now but it's completely waterlogged from the many holes I put in it trying to shot the Anna Maria Island Pier way back when.

I did my first ding repair on it and continued to "surf" with it for a couple years till I came to the realization that the board just wasn't cutting it.

It barely caught waves after that but when it did it rode like a total dog. I still have it in my closet at home collecting dust, I think about doing something with it at some point, never wanted to let it go since it's my first board.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    6'0 In the eye, I was 12. it was a fatty 80's style thruster and easy to stand up, hard to duck dive.

100 bux at SS in OC

16. Z

Z Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2012
    9'0 Walden Magic Model (used) to hang with my daughter who wanted to take up surfing and I got her a new 6'10" Hot Buttered at the same time I bought mine..
    She has kind of gotten out of trying to surf and I am by myself now.. I guess I cramped her style?? :(

17. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I traded a couch for a 5'2" twin fin from Don of Hawaii. I'm 6'5" 215. My next board was a Secret Spot 7'2". I bought behind Capt Franks in OB of NC for 35 bucks.

18. The Lonesome Tractor

The Lonesome Tractor Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    6'2 Kinetic from Gary in Myrtle Beach, SC

19. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Pssst. Need a board dude?

My last twin in the 80s was a 5'6" fox. That thing was shaped to spear snakes with.

20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008