side bites or no side bites that is my question

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by robernt3, May 26, 2009.

1. robernt3

robernt3 Member

May 31, 2008
    Hey guys,

I'm new to surfing, in my second year. I've been looking at some mini longboards for the summer time surf. I'm looking at a 6'8'' walden with a three fin set up with side bites, and another board i forget the name but its got a single fin only. the guy at the surf shop seemed like a really cool guy, and told me that the walden obviously has more versatility in that you can take the side bites off. but my question is what do the side bites do for you? as a beginner is it better to have them or just do the single fin. or does it even matter? both are priced about the same
    i appologize if this was a dumb question, but your advice and comments are appreciated

2. robernt3

robernt3 Member

May 31, 2008
    the other board is a harbour

3. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    sidebites can serve a couple of purposes:

1. with a medium sized center fin (6"-7") the sidebites help bite into the face of a steep wave to make the drop without spinning out. i like small sidebites (3.5") for this setup. this makes for a board that has pretty much neutral handling--it turns when you make it do so and tracks when you give it no input.

2. i really like using larger sidebites (4.5") with a small center fin (4.5") to make my speed log into a true thruster. makes steep drops no problem and when standing on the tail of the board, i can do tighter turns--really good for getting the heck out of dodge on a big closeout.

3. or you can use no sidebites at all with a larger center fin (7.5" or larger) for a groovy '70's feel--longer more drawn out turns, steady tracking and a bit more speed down the line. i ride a 7-8 retro shortboard a lot, and i pretty much keep it a single fin--it's just groovy.

messing around with fins is a lot of fun, and it is easy to get real nerdy about it. don't be afraid to experiment. you may find that your board has a lot of different personalities, and with some trial and error you can dial it in for each of the different personalities that the ocean presents to you. if you are just learning, start off with the single fin set up--slightly faster paddling and more stability as you get used to popping up to your feet.

have fun

4. 1.stoked.drew

1.stoked.drew Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    with the 6'8" walden, i would take the side bites off everything smaller that chest high. the side bites make it dig more when turning and i kinda like that board with a single fin... it makes it loose and real skatey

5. Salty J

Salty J Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Good God man, tiny side bites are for people who can't turn. A 6' 8"????? Seriously? get some damn G-3's or G-5 side bites on there stat and remove that silly logish center fin or whatever the hell is on there and demand a solid thruster setup! A Single fin! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Single fins are for 10' boards. If you don't want to learn how to turn ok, but even if you have a 9' HP longboard (the hp is for high performance) seriously use a small center fin between 6-7" and throw on FCS G-3 side bites! Making confident solid turns is what surfing is all about. Otherwise your smoking hash and slip-sliding around on a plank of wood....... not bad sometimes I suppose;)

6. Salty J

Jun 13, 2008
    To complicated? Just put three fins of equal size on that 6'8" and tell the Walden salesman that the idea of a mini-longboard is stupid and contradictory in every way and that a thruster set up will do just fine on it and thats what you want.:D enjoy!

7. dirtythirty34

dirtythirty34 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    yup

hey salty j,
    just a heads up, waldens use o'fishl side fin boxes so fcs is out of the question. also, mini longboard is the term to use for the walden cd's, i have talked to steve walden personally on this issue. but then again you apparently know it all:rolleyes:

8. Salty J

Jun 13, 2008
    O'fishl, killer. So does that mean he can't put the thruster set-up he should rightfully have on that turd of a board? Nice name drop. Next time you talk to Steve tell him Salty said wasup.

9. dirtythirty34

dirtythirty34 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Walden makes great boards, if you have ever ridden one you will understand.

10. 1.stoked.drew

Aug 24, 2008
    34- my 6'8" superwide has fcs side bites

saltyj- single fins are not only for 10' logs. it is a bit retro, but single fin eggs surf exceptionally well. and in my estimation the walden superwide is a new tweek on that style of board, the 2 +1 gives it versatility

11. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Those boards are all mass-produced in China these days are they not?

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Is Walden still honestly using O'Fishl fin boxes (with the sily Z-Clips) in a 2+1 board? Thats strange...there have been advances since 1997!

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  13. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    wow.

yes, single fins are "retro", but this day in age they serve no purpose in the water, unless gliding along a very small, slow reef break in socal, or under an old, long log.

Not to bring up the thurster issue that has been tossed around for years, but other than a thurster, even on a fish, I onlg dig the quad setups.

You can play around with a thurster setup and get all kinds of cool performances. Larger middle fin, even on my 5'10 is fun. You can put little tiny ones all around and do tails slides all summer.

If you are learning, you want a thurster setup. seriously. You can play around with "retro" ideas once you can actually surf.

14. Salty J

Jun 13, 2008
    Now imagine if they had three fins.

15. 1.stoked.drew

Aug 24, 2008

i never said i didn't like the 2+1 set up. i was just advocating idea of using the single fin. different conditions, different options.