Boycott WSL - Fix Pro Surfing

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by PhiloSurfer, Sep 17, 2015.

1. PhiloSurfer

PhiloSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    SIGN THIS PETITION to BOYCOTT THE WSL

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/boycott-world-surf-league-wsl

Kelly's criminal score of 4.17 has already been talked to death, not to mention the SeaBass fiasco.

Only $$$ will make the WSL change anything. Accordingly, I'm going to boycott all WSL event and WSL sponsor merchandise & services. Maybe if Hurley (Nike) and others begin to worry about losing customers, they might exert enough pressure on the WSL to make some real change.

Please sign the Boycott!

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I saw that move by Slater, had me wondering if it was even real.

3. PhiloSurfer

Dec 19, 2010
    I thought that this might elicit an entertaining range of responses!

Thanks Barry, for getting the ball rolling. Your service is much appreciated.

4. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    what exactly do you want to change?

5. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
  6. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    My work computer blocked me from site... Whiskey Miltia also blocked. wouldn't let me see your board either... Only a matter of time before all my posts will be from home in a redacted stupor...

7. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Man, I've been boycotting the WSL.

"professional surfing ruined surfing"

S/S

8. PhiloSurfer

Dec 19, 2010
    There are many things that could use changing, but let's start with the simple principle of rewarding the thing that most of us find most engaging about world-class surfing... the MAGIC! The scoring system should reward magic moments like Slater (although I agree that it was not a perfect 10) rather than rewarding SAFE SURFING (i.e. 7 carbon-copy backside hacks in a row for a 9+ score).

Some of you are probably not too young to remember that safe surfing, a little sympathy, and crap judging is how OCCY won his only world title (during Kelly's hiatus)... Backside vert hacks X 15 per wave. It was terrible then and remains so.

As surfers, we know that those inverted backside hacks are DIFFICULT, but it doesn't make them magical or inspiring! For that, we look to waves like Slater's 4.17 (ugh!) which clearly INSPIRE & FASCINATE both surfers and non-surfers.

That, my friend, is the basic change that I want to see. Score the Magic... or do away with Pro surfing completely.

9. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    It won't make any diff. The surfing "lifestyle" is being pushed\marketed\advertised so hard these days.

There's a guy at my work who wears Quicksilver, Rip Curl, Hurley, etc. shirts every day. I mean M-F, every day, for as long as he's worked here. I finally asked him one day if he surfs. He looked at me like I was from another planet.

"Uh, no, uh I snowboard, well I used to."

Another guy that works in my group was always trying to chat me up about surfing, talking about taking lessons, etc. Fat bastard can barely get out of his chair. Wanted to "hook up sometime and go surfing". Told him sure, as long as he's willing to paddle out at sunrise on a chilly gray winter morning. Hasn't bothered me since. I still like to show him pictures of sharks though, and let him know whenever someone gets munched.

WSL doesn't give a crap about opinions of guys like us, they're after Mr. Hurley shirt wearer and the wannabes. It will get worse before it gets better. But the clowns won't stick around. First time they take one on the head and dam near end up drowning the NSP will go up on craigslist.

10. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    TL, that's not new. been that way since Gidget..Biggest thing I would change is rewards for big, more critical waves. Also, add points for multiple maneuvers on the wave. Pump pump pump to air reverse is like the old pump pump pump to floater.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I would penalize for airs. For every air done, you are eliminated out of an upcoming contest. Three in a row--you are taken out back and shot dead.

12. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Agree pump. Seems like lately though the marketing has really ramped up. Fugging Pizza Hut ads.

On a side note, I caught the replay of Fiji last week where Owen nailed the two 10's. Love his style, he surfs like a damn viking (if vikings surfed).

13. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I caught it too. Seriously could those waves be surfed any better? If he had a 9.6 on the first and a 10 on the second. Then the last wave was underscored. He should have got the first 11.

14. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I dont really care.

15. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    It is getting ridiculous with the farking posing here and I'm guessing elsewhere as well. All the marketing is paying off I suppose.My wife who does not surf or care one ioda aboot surfing pointed out a dude last we and said I bet he can't surf. Cracked me up. Dude had a 12' board in the shiny new board bag, a yetticooler and all the matching surf accessories you could imagine. Never even saw the board but I'm positive it was brand new custom top o the line. I've always hated the idea of contest for this reason. I admit I'll watch if it's on but it can only harm surfing in the end. I guess I'm just a selfish old b*stid.

16. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    here's how you change it: stop watching

anything else is you trying force your (moronic) opinion on others

did slater get robbed? yes
    is the whole thing a giant corpo that trashes the environment and caters to morons? yes

Barry, thanks for helping me build my vocab. I feel good saying moron, I get more comfy with the term every day

17. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    I agree. The extremely exciting maneuvers are what keep me watching. I think Kelly's air/fail was worthy of a higher score since he did get a few more turns and although it wasn't clean landing...he was still surfing. I would give it a 6.5ish.

That being said, I am utterly tired of reverses and 360 airs. **** gets old reaaaaal quick. Especially when the same air is being pulled twice on one wave. Enough with that. I wanna see someone pull a fs 180 while going backside on a wave. Turn the other way, ya dig.

18. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    just the way it is and will always be with "judged" sports. There's always going to be some bias and corruption among judges.

getting to the point where I'm going to boycott anything involving Channel Islands...about 75% of the people at my local are now surfing on a CI board.

19. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I find I really only watch wsl when it gets hairball -big Chopes or pipe. I could give two sh!ts about watching some brazilian boosting an air after pumping down the line on a mediocre wave. As far as the commodification of surfing and selling the lifestyle, yeah its annoying, but at the same time cold water and sizable surf tend to thin the ones out that are in it because of the image. As much as I hate cold water, i find that winters bring a certain calm to the lineup, adn the people that are out are there because they're dedicated - not because they want to look or feel cool