Shoulder Probs

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by JohnnyCornstarch, Sep 20, 2015.

1. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Had a fun session yesterday up in NSB, lost of fun 3-4-5' peaks. It's definitley been a while since I've paddled that much and my right shoulder took notice. Now I can barely lift it above my head and I fear I might've tweaked/torn something since it's pretty sharp. Anyone else have this happen after a long session?

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Have you been tossing other surfers belongings into the water???

3. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Start icing it 15-20 minutes several times a day and start taking Advil. See if it's getting better after a few days. If it is, it might be inflammation of small tears that your body can heal. If not, guess it's time to see your doc.

And yes, I had it and it repaired itself.

4. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Lifting your shoulder above your head is fairly difficult in general :) but yeah I thought this was a #pitted thread coming in.

5. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Tendinitis...rest, ice, compression, elevation...if not more mobile in a few days-week check webmd ;)

6. BradPitted

BradPitted Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2015
    we could make this a bradpitted thread if you'd like.

so with shoulder problems.... the only way you have shoulder problems when you surf is if you're not the guy out on the shoulder.

7. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    +1...sounds like it. Have it in one of my shoulders...treat it right now...or pay the price later LINK

8. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    Is it better to stretch it out and stay loose or leave it alone for a couple days?

9. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    contact @bradpitted he knows all about kookin it up and shoulders ;)

10. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    did that to my shoulder in 2006 and couldn't surf for almost a year because of the pain. Somehow, it miraculously went away on it's own (no drugs or doctors) and I'm pretty much back to 100%...but, now, I'm a little more thoughtful of the way I paddle and more selective in my wave choice (less shoulder-hopping, more jacked up take-offs)

11. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Let pain be your guide, I was able to swim backstroke but not crawl. Did the backstroke as it kept other non injured shoulder muscles strong. If it is painful, don't do it.

12. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Listen to Betty, she's smart and experienced with health stuff. I'm the poster dude for shoulder issues. Let it rest for a week or until it's not painful to lift it. If it doesn't go away, see a doc, could be a rotator cuff. I've torn my labrum and dislocated both shoulders multiple times and have avoided surgery and am able to still surf. I'm a little nervous of going back out in anything over 8 feet right now because the power of the wave can pull my shoulder right back out again, but little by little it is getting better.

Once the pain subsides and you can lift your arm above your shoulder start stretching it and doing light weight or no weight workouts. Next start paddling your board in small to no waves and work your way back up as it improves and your confidence in it is restored. Swimming laps in a pool, alternating freestyle, butterfly and back stroke with very controlled and non explosive force should help too.

It's actually made me a more efficient paddler because it forced me to focus on good technique.

13. TropicStormTrash

TropicStormTrash Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I recently posted a thread similar to this. I had a long session a couple months ago and thought I injured my shoulder as well. I had really bad pain and numbness and tingling in my arms. I also couldn't lift my arm above my head. I went to see an orthopedic and was worried about my rotator cuff. Turns out the problem wasn't in my shoulder. I actually had inflammation and irritation in my C6 vertebrae in my neck most likely due to a long day of paddling with my head and neck up. The irritation pinched nerves that locked my right shoulder up and caused pain. I did a couple weeks of PT to strengthen my neck and all is good now. Not diagnosing, just saying the problem is not necessarily your shoulder but could be in the neck. My advice, go see an orthopedic so you can get an Xray and MRI to find out what it actually is.

14. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    That makes a lot of sense actually, I work a desk job and have been experiencing some numbness in my hands recently...And I have terrible posture when sitting. FML I'm freaking 21, 6"0 165, I shouldn't have to deal with this sh!t yet!

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^ sounds highly possible as well

16. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Numbness in your hands could be so many different things. Go see your PCP to start with.

17. Radderbsurfin

Radderbsurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I put your symptoms into webmed.com, I'm pretty sure you have aids :/

18. ZachB

ZachB New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    +1 Go talk to your Doc! I tore my labrum over a year ago, rested it for weeks till it felt a little better....surfed, and it was back to square one. Tried resting it over and over but every little thing seemed to hurt. Doc kept telling me to eat the ibuprofen and ice it....told Doc the pain wasn't anything normal...finally got the arthrogram (which sucks) then surgery 3 months later. I'm a little over 7 months post-op and I'm not where I was before the injury but I'm way better off now. Check out slaptear.com, alot of shoulder info there. Surgery is a last resort, resting/icing sucks but it's way better than surgery rehab I promise.

19. BradPitted

BradPitted Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2015
    You should give yourself a stranger. I bet a lot of the people on this sight have to do this.

20. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    would've been faster w/ ...sick avatar btw, whats it mean?

can't tell if zen or pretty twisted...

+1 webmd's symptom search engine goes to "you're dying" result by default

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015