Let's Talk Politics

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Scobeyville, Aug 20, 2015.

1. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    you really think trump going to win barry ?????

o barry

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Probably, but not based on talent or experience. The electorate is so pissed off at the politicians that they will vote the idiot in. It happened before- Obama, which as we all know, has been a disaster. The Dems have a soon to be convicted felon, an 80 year old communist, and a buffoon of a VP for candidates. So yeah, my outlook seems for 4 years of comedic relief with Trump.

3. sailquik

sailquik Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2012
    1) I see you googled "Jesuit high school in Puerto Rico"
    2) I'm almost fifty. Unless you're seventy or above, I didn't graduate "decades" after you.
    3) I'm an agnostic that tries to look beyond religion and politics.
    4) Is that what all religious people do? Fly planes into buildings? Man, I must have missed that one on my first reading of the Bible. (For God so loved the world, that he gave instructions to fly into buildings. Barry 3:16)
    5) An "idiot bordering on imbecility"? Yeah, I can spot one of those too!

4. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

[​IMG]

5. sailquik

Nov 23, 2012
    You're not going to piss me off LE...takes quite a bit of effort for that. I agree that most if not every religious institution (of every creed and every denomination) is worth being wary of. My issue was with a comment that implied that the current Pope is a child molester.

The problem with modern political discourse is that everyone vilifies the other side and that is unacceptable. It is why Obama is called a Kenyan, why Trump is ahead in the polls and why gridlock will not end any time soon. The masses feed off this crap, we have no attention span and don't take the time to investigate if what we are being spoon fed is the truth. We need to learn that everyone's point of view (save for extreme cases like Hitler and ISIS) has some merit and we need to find common ground instead of picking up our toys and refusing to play like the schoolyard bully.

As for the Pope, I don't think that his existence exonerates the Catholic Church from stuff it has done over the millennia or, more to the point, stuff that priests have done recently, but you cannot paint specific people with the broad stoke of their religious or political group or we will always be at each other's throats. I think the guy is trying to move his particular group forward and out of the middle ages and that needs to be done slowly and cautiously in order for it to be accepted by the group as a whole.

Are there a bunch of douche canoes in the Catholic Church? Sure. But I don't think at this moment in time he is one of them. Maybe after he's been in his position for a few years he will become one of them, but I don't think he is right now.

The thing I like about him is that he is preaching tolerance (forgiveness) - even of those who disagree with his and the church's beliefs, instead of condemning those who disagree. Trump wouldjust call anyone who disagrees with him "STUPID" and move on.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  6. sailquik

Nov 23, 2012
    I surfed today with (just) three other guys in chest to shoulder high clean waves.

Took my longboard out for the first time in two years because I had to paddle three quarters of a mile to get there. Took me twenty minutes over and twenty back.

It made me tolerant.

7. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Mercury's in retrograde and we got surf!

8. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I like your style.

Even the Muslim religion is not technically for flying planes into buildings. Extremists in all religions **** things up and interpret things as they see fit.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

To answer your points
    1) You equally could have googled Jesuit school in PR; you prove nothing
    2) Our ages are irrelevance--you still bear no evidence of attending SI,
    3) agnostics are persons incapable of making a decision one way or another--very weak position.
    4) No, but religious persons have caused much more harm than good--your catholic church being a distinct leader in that department.
    5) Any pope that wants to meddle and influence another countries politics, is an idiot; those that follow him or like that approach are equally idiots. That rings true especially if the country the pope hails from has been economically wiped out by their economic position (Argentina).

As for your liking this pope especially because he preaches "forgiveness"....what pope has not done so?? That means you have liked every pope, as any good catholic is required (infallibility). It is a basic tenet of catholicism, a tenet they repeatedly broke themselves (Inquisition, etc). Had they had airplanes, I no doubt they would have flown them into buildings as well.
    Never forget this:
    Science files people to the moon,
    Religion flies people into buildings.

Now, ramble on, sparky, and go sing: "Leon de mi Escudo, marcial y rampante". Personally, I will pass on that, despite the fact that the school did have a good education program at the time I was there.

10. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    O'Barry.... This is undoubtedly the most thoughtful post you have graced us with.

I feel intellectually stunted by your negative posts, which on a daily basis insult people's intelligence without ever contributing substantive dialogue. The usual reliance on your primary vocabulary of 'idiot' and 'moron' is lacking here and I greatly appreciate that. That fact that you additionally found the literary courage to leave the term 'Obama' out of your post reflects greatly upon your maturity.

As far as the Pope and Argentina go, you should read up on the Washington consensus and the NML capital case. While it's obvious that they made poor economic policy decisions, you could also argue that the failure of these policies was ensured by the Washington Consensus (IMF etc.), and further worsened by the decisions of the New York court, which protected vulture investors who bought Argentina's debt at pennies on the dollar, hoping to profit off of Western ensured failure.

I agree with you about the negative impact of religion overall, but since religion isn't disappearing anytime soon, you might as well appreciate steps in a positive direction.

Undoubtedly, the church's anti-contraception and anti-abortion policies will continue to wreak havoc on worldwide rates of poverty, crime, and HIV transmission. Nonetheless, this Pope is reducing the institutionalized homophobic hatred that plagues Russian, African, and Latin American societies. That's still something.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yeah, but I come to the site for fun, insults (back & forth), and wasting my time--that explains the "moron" thing (in which, btw, I have always included myself). I don't normally come to this place for intellectual development. Fun. I have no problem with the negative banter.
    Now, as for Argentina, blaming Wall Street, The Washington Consensus (IMF) and the New York Court is kind of silly; their problems go wayyy back to Peron, etc. Argentina has yet to recover from years of long gone dictatorship, military juntas, etc, and every attempt has met with failure, because of the failure of their government, and the lack of will of the Argentine society. They have the resources, but no leadership, no societal will to put an end to the immense corruption within the country. Watch--I bet another dictatorship is just around the corner, and they will recede back into the depths of financial despair once again. No matter what any pope, mullah, of reverend wants the USA to do, its not the way we should go. It is what the pope suggested, which I find idiotic. HE many be a nice guy, that he is, but stay out of our economy. BTW, Obama used him for political gain!!

12. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    all those juntas and coups were a courtesy of Langley to maintain Latin America as a vassal state to the USA

I need cheap bannanas and ipe wood Nigga!

13. sailquik

Nov 23, 2012
    You know Barry, I was wrong about you and I have to give credit where credit is due. At first I thought you were just adept at googling stuff, but now I realize you're good with Wikipedia, too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colegio_San_Ignacio_de_Loyola_(San_Juan)#School_Anthem

You did achieve one mildly annoying result: I hadn't heard that song in over thirty years and now its been stuck in my head all day.

As to your other comments:

Agnostics are people willing to listen to more than one side of an issue until the evidence is overwhelming for a statement of something as a fact. Clearly I'm not an agnostic on the laws of gravity or evolution, but on the existence of an almighty "force", I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to make a final determination. I do not portend to know the secrets of life, the universe and everything.

Many people have caused harm utilizing different excuses. I used to think like you - that if religion wasn't around, we wouldn't be killing each other. Age has taught me that people will always find something to divide themselves over. If it isn't religion, it will be the color of their skin, their sexual orientation, their nationality or ethnicity, their politics, you name it.

A theory I've heard is that we put ourselves in groups because that is how we are programmed by evolution: When we were cavemen, our tribe consisted of our immediate kin. Our brains were wired to connect with those seven or eight individuals. Now that we live in huge mixed societies, our brains adjust by creating seven or eight groups that we identify with. So, for example, my "tribe" might be married white males who surf and like Sci-Fi, while yours might be angry bigoted trolls who have a hard-on for Donald Trump.

Saying that we should judge this particular Pope based on what Catholicism was doing centuries ago is akin to sayin we should judge Angela Merkel on what Germany was doing in 1942. Papal infallibility is something else you are confused on: The Church teaches that the Pope is infallible when he speaks ex-cathedra on matters of doctrine. He can say he believes Global Warming is real, but because that is not a matter of doctrine, it does not mean he could not be wrong. Now if he says the Virgin Mary was an actual "Virgin", then that is where he is supposed to be infallible. Mind you, I'm not saying he is infallible or that church doctrine is right or wrong, I'm just correcting your assumption that if the Pope says the quarter pounder is the tastiest burger, Catholics are supposed to forgo Wendy's.

Your cute comment about science and planes: You are starting to bore me. Really. Science is great. It gives me Rick and Morty on the magic glass box that sits in my living room. But science can just as easily be turned into religion as anything else, with perhaps even more danger because of the assumption that it is provably correct. Just one example of this danger is Social Darwinism, which argues that the smart will accumulate wealth and power while the weak will be forever left to be subservient to the rich and powerful. I could keep going and mention eugenics and how some people have tried to use evolution to excuse slavery, but I won't. Because I just did.

14. sailquik

Nov 23, 2012
    That's great. You just admitted to being a Troll.

Which I wouldn't mind so much if you were a *real* Troll. The kind that will take a contrary position just to get a response. The needy, "I want attention" troll. The kind that surfs 23 footers and drives a Camaro. Those Trolls are fun.

But you are worse because you always take the same reactionary dinosaur stance. Which means you aren't doing it for attention. Instead, the racist, rigid, name calling persona online is what you're really thinking IRL, but you just wouldn't say it to someone's face. We just happened to get a glimpse of him online because he feels safe behind a keyboard. In that sense, you are probably worse than Wayne and Roy - at least those two guys are genuine online and off.

I will say something in your defense: You picked the perfect handle. Around here, Barracudas are poisonous and nobody likes them.

15. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
  16. robber

robber Member

Jul 31, 2011
    there's a branch of philosophy called accelerationism (nick land is the guy i know who's down for this) which advocates for an increase in global capitalism, consumerism, military industrial complex, etc. because it will bring about the end of society faster and then we can start over post-apocalypse. bet he'd vote for trump.

17. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Make it stop, keep it up!

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Look, if you don't like, don't reply. Who cares?? I certainly don't!! I am not even reading your posts.
    The first two are enough to make any reasonable human vomit.
    Sayonara.

19. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    This is hilarious!

20. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I guess its politic related lol,but I started watching the series "narcos" on Netflix.great show btw,but it shows u the mayhem politics create.foreign affairs shouldn't matter to us unless they prove a threat to our country.like this show is based on Pablo escobar,and the dea is going apeshyt trying to bust him..then he mentions or one of his people said "America consumed idk like 3 billion tons of coke last year"...

so point being,how do u fight something that America wants lol?imagine they outlawed tobacco and alcohol.i garentee it would be the 1930s all over again,drive by shootings,fire bombings,cops getting killed,innocent people getting killed,illegal bars.imagine u come home from a hard days work and crack a beer open,and the feds bust through ur door,shoot ur dog 10 times infront of ur children,throw u to the ground with a gun to the back of your head.thats basically the war on drugs

.idk America seems to love drugs.and not to mention coca plants,and poppy opium do not grow anywhere close to America.the opium comes from Afghanistan (I wonder how)wink wink,coke comes from south America,where we have plenty of military bases.and If u ever watched border wars on nat geo and see how sophisticated they are with guarding the border,i don't see any possible way for drugs to get into this country