Turtle Take-off

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by sisurfdogg, Sep 28, 2015.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    This happened to me last week on weak waist to chest high clean lined up swell:

I was paddling out on my longboard, tired from a long session of long rides, and a wave broke in front of me and it was a little bigger and hollower than most that day, so I turned turtle.
    I got lazy and didn't hold the nose down and the wave lifted the board. I held on and it stood up on end, then shot towards shore. Still holding on, I jumped on it and rode the wave. Lucky the wave was not bigger of more powerful, it would have caused the board to pearl, maybe snap. If the wave was smaller or weaker, it would not have gotten me and the board to do the pole vault like takeoff. I'm calling it the Turtle Takeoff. Has anyone else done this or seen this?

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Let me get this straight, you paddled towards wave, rolled over (turtle), you are under water facing up with board on top of you and the wave grabbed you and flipped you end to end forward, then you popped up and rode it?

3. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Yes. By accident, then instinct took over.

4. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Even if it was by accident, that's badass! LOL. Now, the more important question, could you do it again? I have never seen or heard of that

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    How the... What the... Are you sure!?

6. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I only rode it for a bit, headed straight towards shore, too surprised to really do a controlled turn into the face. Next time I'll get it functional, or snap the board.

7. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    That is wild, man

8. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i had tht happen before its scary as ****. it happens when the nose isnt down enough.

9. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    The very first time I tried to turtle, I was just learning the art of longboarding after SBing since teens. It got bigger while I was out, and I had to turtle, and I had the board flat, and the wave landed on it and it almost broke my nose. I was seeing stars. I laugh now. It wasn't too funny then, laying there on my back dazed with my board on top of me.

10. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Good stuff sisurfdogg!

I once tried to paddle out (with a big board) over a wave that broke faster and higher than I anticipated (miscalculation/bad positioning on my part) the wave started to knock me backwards so I quickly spun around and was able to "body board" down the face (mostly in whitewater) and then was able to pop up. This was on a somewhat bigger day and it was disorganized inside, and the paddle out channel was shifty at best or more likely nonexistent.

Not quite a turtle takeoff but it was totally unexpected and unplanned, as are a good number of my wave riding experiences. But this. is one of the reasons we dig this activity-- the randomness.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

That maneuver is a new one on me.
    Copyright it!!!!

12. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    I wish I could've seen that! A front flip takeoff. Next time it gets big and closed out at my lunch spot, I'm gonna try it!

13. mrz1

mrz1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Never seen that, but I hope to

14. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    If that happened to me you could call it the Turdle Takeoff casue I would have sh!t my trunks.

15. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Where were you along the board (longitudinally) closer to the nose, tail, or centered?

No matter, it is an awesome story. One of those things that happens when you've been surfing for many years, and instincts kick in.

16. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    kelly? is that you?

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

What?? That is very homo-erotic of you.
    Please go away.....

18. heyzeus

heyzeus Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Sounds wild.

Paddling out on a big(ger) board that's not really duckdiveable on a bigger days gives me anxiety. Nothing like going over the falls backwards and upside down, then getting pinned to the bottom and it's only the paddle out. On the plus side, when/if that happens, it's easy to reason that it was the worst wipeout you're gonna have that day, so you might as well just charge.

19. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I like Turtles.

Happy belated surfdogg of si!:cool:

20. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013

I've given this some thought, in case I want to try it again on porpoise. Probably
    centered, definitely not near the nose or it couldn't happen. I think farther back helps.