How often do you need to surf?

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by sisurfdogg, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Me too, new board coming and hopefully the surf will be good enough to try it out.

there was a teeny bump a week or two ago that turned into a 4 foot clean session till dark... that was the last time I surfed and I've been craving more surf since the day after that session.

2. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Watching next week!

3. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    If I could surf decent waves every day I would, without a doubt. I've found that when we have a run of solid swell and I can surf for multiple days in a row, that I feel the need to spend less overall time in the water. Once I get my initial fill with a 4+ hour session or two, I am content to paddle out and surf for just an hour or so and catch a couple solid waves. However, that all goes out the window if it's pumping and clean. I will drop everything and surf until I am too exhausted to move. That pretty much never happens though in vee bee, so realistically if I can get waves once or twice a week I'm happy, especially with two small kids and a wife who's understanding of my passion is questionable at best. I find that the only times I go out when it's smaller than waist high are when we've had long flat spells, otherwise I will wait till it gets a little more size to it before I start burning comp time at work.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Who surfs?? Surfing is gay. Anybody can do it. Retarded.
    We just post.

5. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    I surf the interwebs, does that count?

6. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    3 days out of the water is too much for me. There is usually some kind of swell everyday in SD. Havent been in since Saturday. Very busy with a project at work. I think I'll hit it at first light tomorrow

7. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    It depends.

If I am used to surfing every day-one day off and Im weird.

If I am used to not surfing for awhile then-one day on and im stoked.

Its really all relative to recent habit and routine.

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You thilly b itch....

9. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013

When it goes flat for a couple months I'm still happy. Every day is a gift. But...once I get a
    taste of surf I want more! Until my body says enough.

My buddy showed me some pics he took at the Juno Pier of folks getting barreled in perfect overhead waves the other week. He only had 20 minutes, so he made the most of it, and made a few peoples day when he sent them photos of themselves getting pitted.

He didn't have time himself to paddle out, but still felt and spread the stoke. I probably would have just looked at it and gotten mad I wasn't out there surfing.

10. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I too hate when there are waves and you get hemmed up and miss it. Also, when you get yourself all worked up...you know, plan a day off, do all the off sand reconne, prep, plan...it's going to be good....hurry hurry hurry and it does not end up being fun....hard to stay positive when that happens. Fickle East Coast keeps you on your toes and hungry....I'm constantly hungry to surf!

11. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I try to surf twice a week. The heart is willing and hungry for more, but it tends to blow out my shoulders, so that's not good.

12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
  13. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised

[video=youtube;bBRFYNI420M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBRFYNI420M[/video]

14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    At least twice a week. I surf year-round and usually go more than that but have gone as long as 3 weeks without surfing (last winter) due to family responsibilities.
    After having raised four children, we are now having to care for our aging and disabled parents. In some ways that can be a bigger challenge. But that's life. Sometimes I feel that longer life expediencies aren't necessarily a good thing.

15. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Why would you want to categorize your surfing life into a consistent pattern? Literally the only thing you do for enjoyment should be done as needed and not put on a time-table. Putting an empirical value to it kind of defeats the purpose imo. Living day-by-day is the key to a healthy stoke and appreciation of surfing.

16. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Oooooooooh Barry!

17. mattinvb

Sep 9, 2014
    Dos, I feel your pain on that. just watched my parents take care of my maternal grandparents (both died this summer at 93 years old each- married 68 years). The emotional toll that I watched it take on them was difficult to observe, especially when I wasn't able to offer much help because of my own family obligations. The only advice I can offer is to keep taking care of yourself. Take time to do things for you, and don't feel guilty about it. Otherwise you can run the risk of burning yourself out.

18. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I need to surf at least once a week. Mo often is mo betta. If I go much more than a week without some wave surf riding I become surly. In the Bahamian shadow we take whatever we can get. Summer is particularly brutal. However, with some propre upcoast driving, I managed to go no longer than a two week stretch this summer without riding a wave of some sort. I'm not terribly picky though. As long as it's a wave with enough energy to propel me towards the shoare for a few seconds I'm good. I take what I can get and am grateful for all of it.

19. heyzeus

heyzeus Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I like to surf at least 2-3x a week if possible. I surfed everyday, sometimes twice a day, during the 2-3 week run of Juaqin and the swell(s) leading up to it. That was great, having 2.5 weeks of decent-really good waves. Then until yesterday, I hadn't surfed in about two weeks since it had been flat, then swell but totally blown out 25 MPH N winds. It was still choppy yesterday but not as bad, but I had a really **** session, so I'm not sure it really "fixed" anything. And I wanted to go this morning but it doesn't get light out until 7:30 now...Looks like Sunday and Monday it should be alright and I can get some.

20. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks, Matt. The burnout aspect I'm becoming well too familiar with. In this respect, surfing and running are needed activities which aid me in maintaining a certain level of sanity. Fortunately I work at Dam Neck, so squeezing in a one hour sesh before or after work or during lunch time is not too difficult.