i am going to nyc (manhattan/midtown)

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by metard, Oct 27, 2015.

1. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Eh. Not as much as I should.

I was kinda of catering to the whole things to do with your family thing jawn.

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    When are you going?

3. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    NJNY, I doubt Metard will respond to my offer.

So....

You get to meet me at the Blarney Stone on 8th near 31st and you will buy me two beers.

Thanks.

4. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    its a felony in NYC to carry an unlicensed concealed weapon, and NY doesn't recognize out of state handgun licenses

5. BKSurfer

BKSurfer Active Member

Sep 13, 2010
    leave your guns at home yo. Try to swim across the river!

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i am aware of the laws regarding guns in New York and NYC.

Safe Act = lol

7. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i think i'm the only only person on here who doesn't do drugs.... so other than cold beers or stories of murdering hookers at truck stops i may not have much to offer you

8. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Nah, dude, just a beer or three.

Seldom and Yankee must be brave. Everyone else seems timid to see me in my glory. Oh, I'll be high. I never travel sober.

Well, either you, Metard, or NJNY......It has to be one of you. Oh shoot I should look up the pride of North Jersey - David William Dowd. I keep forgetting he lives in the city now.

Anyways, The Blarney Stone on 8th by 31st.

Look for the bleary-eyed ugly dude who does look younger than 43, or so I'm told. I got, like strawberry/blonde hair and I have no middle age fat on my bones.

I'll most likely be wearing some surf related clothing as I let security know that the reason I act strange is because I surf, which means I'm high. They know I'm not dangerous then.

" Hey look at that guy...he's acting funny...."

Then they see my O'NEILL hoodie and they go...

"Oh he's just a stoned surfer...."

9. huuor

huuor Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    I'm not far but not around this weekend otherwise I would meet you all at the Blarney Stone.
    Some nuggets of wisdom above: notably #1 wear a Mets hat/tee and you'll be golden (seriously). You will be able to high-five random strangers and connect with the locals - believe me, this will go a long way and you'll have more fun. Better still, get one off the street for your daughter - a memento of your trip and she'll be high-fiving random dudes (ok maybe not). #2 Avoid Elmo, Spiderman etc in and around Times Square - again, seriously, they're just trying to sting you $5+ for a pic. #3 Don't eat within a 3 block radius of Times Square. If you absolutely HAVE to, then the food in Hard Rock is at least sort-of value for money. #4 If you head downtown, then yes, WTC Memorial but if the weather is nice, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Seriously cool pictures - and hey as bridges go, it's a nice one.

10. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015
    Huuor not the weekend, Friday.

I'll be there between 1:00 and 1:30

Bring PCP

11. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Riley don't miss your train with all these shenanigans

12. Bigcaez

Bigcaez Member

Oct 13, 2015
    If you do go over the Brooklyn bridge, once you are oin the BK side, keep walking towards Juniors, have a meal and the best cheese cake you probably ever had!! Down further is the Barclay's center, worth checking out...

13. huuor

huuor Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2012
    No can do. Leaving Friday am.

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    When are you going? Also I always make sure the hotel is quality & quiet. It's easy to end up in a hotel on a street that's loud with traffic & all-night sirens. Even 30 floors up, the street noise can be loud - - check the hotel reviews on Trip Advisor.

Depending on weather, here's my 2 centavos. Used to live in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn as well as Kips Bay, Manhattan & also Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Worked in the WTC at COMEX, worked in the Empire State Bldg before that.

Grand Central Terminal - - just magnificent inside the main terminal concourse & worth a walk through & not far from your Broadway show.

American Museum of Natural History - - your kid & your wife & you will totally dig this place.

Hayden Planetarium - - very cool shows here that all of you will dig.

Central Park - - walk through the south end, it's cool to see one of the world's urban masterpieces.

Rockefeller Center - - if they have the xmas tree up & the ice skating rink open.

Greenwich Village - - the place to stroll, combined with...
    Hudson Street - - lots of restos, bars, funky shops and near the...
    High Line - - worth a walk on all or part.

9/11 Memorial - - all the way downtown & the crowds can be daunting but as TLo mentioned: powerful place.

AVOID: Times Square - - waste of time unless you enjoy being crushed by hordes of morons (props to Barry).
    AVOID: Midtown, for the most part, does suck; mostly the area near Penn Station, Macy's & Herald Square.
    AVOID: The plethora of places named Ray's Pizza.
    SKIP: McSorley's Tavern, often packed with bros & collegiates getting hammered on the house ale; go back there another time with the buoyz, and say yo to the Hells Angels down the street.

Bring: super comfy walking shoes/sneaks

EATS:
    2nd Ave Deli is the best pastrami & corned beef, still; Katz's is also delicious.
    Joe's Pizza on Carmine Street is one helluva good slice or pie.
    Lombardi's is also good but the turistas kill the vibe & create long waits = not worth it.

The Staten Island Ferry or The Circle Line are fun to see sights. A bit too chilly, though, this time of year.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I like the American Museum of Natural History.
    That is a go, especially for you daughter!!
    Great suggestion, yankee.

16. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Mulberry street is fun. Ferrara bakery is BOMB

17. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    lolz

I forgot a lot from history class, but Im guessing George Washington made 'British-Free Zones'? and that's how we won the revolution!

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    BTW, MIS likes to work the west side docks. Fleet Week! Oh buoy! Asswipe: you deserve it.

Not the place to go.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  19. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    CBGB's. Oh wait...different thread

20. Riley Martin

Jan 13, 2015