Car Problems

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by LazyE, Oct 30, 2015.

1. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Damn, my 2005 Ford Escape is slowly dying and draining my funds. I come seeking wisdom on which vehicle/brand you guys prefer and have found reliable. I like the size of the escape but the wife is all aboot smaller SUV types. There are four of us so we need some space for junk. I'm on the frugal side so I don't want to get crazy on the price and I prefer buying a used vehicle if possible. I keep cars untill the wheels come off and am more interested in function than style. I am thankful for the wisdom ya'll will share.

2. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Honda CRV. Quality all around, and I was surprised at the space inside. Recently got an '11 and I love it. s**t for power though... Pulled out a couple times forgetting how slow the pick up was. Pissed off more than one driver.

3. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I bought a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer sportback in 2011 with 69 miles on it. Pretty cheap, $17k

Other than the oil change and tires & haven't had to spend any money on the car. Currently at 71K mile and my brakes have about 25% left so I need to change those soon.

I would recommend this car to anyone. Good gas mileage, gets up and goes when you need to. + You can fit 3 people and 5 shortboards comfortably.

4. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I have had 9 or 10 cars in the 24 years I have been driving and my wife has had 5 or 6 herself. The best car we have found is the Mercedes ML 350. Incredible safety and awesome reliability. Can fit all the gear we need for a family of 3 and should work for 4. You can find them used at pretty good prices I think. We had a 2007 back in 08 and after trading it in on her last Honda Accord in 2010 we bought her a 2015 ML this April. It drives like a dream.

5. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Do you want a car that's the size/shape of an SUV or a truck that's an SUV? I.e what are you using it for. Ex. Toyota Highlanders are built on a car frame. 4runners are built off the Tacoma.

6. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I'm personally a Toyota advocate. Love '12 FJ. It's my baby. Simple and robust, and since me and my much hotter counterpart don't have kids yet - it's the perfect size. Then again, I'm the only one driving. Tons of space. Reliable. And none of the crap you don't need. No heated seats? That's fine, I put in a remote start into it... So in winter I'm still in the crapper when I start it from my phone app and come out to a warmed up vehicle. Suck my balls.

I've had a nissan, a Mazda, 2 lexuses, and now my truck. Next truck is probably gonna be a Tacoma pick up, TRD package, with a full crew cab, just in case.
    Hope this helps!

7. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Look at 3rd or 4th generation 4runners. reliable, plentiful and pretty cheap.

8. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    COMPLETELY AGREE.

Buy a honda or toyota, or have fun fixing whatever other crap you buy. Surprised the ford has lasted as long as it did.

you have been warned

9. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Work's off the chain today! Thanx for the input.Yeh Head High I'm losing faith in Ford. I've got an older ford F150 truck that is in good condition so really need more of a family car/SUV type vehicle. Wife doesn't like to drive bigger vehicles. I told her it had to be big enough to get my GK bass rig in the back.lol. Gotta run. Peace.

10. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    hahaha

11. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I had a Cherokee which I loved.

I now have a Volkswagon its a great car but I would not buy again. Too many headaches.

12. SJKC

SJKC Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I've had Toyota's in the family for years. I don't think we've ever gotten less than 12 years out of one. Another idea is to check out Buick/Oldsmobile/Lincoln dealers and try to pick up an older car with incredibly low mileage that spent most of it's existence in some old guy's garage. These cars will be 10 years old with 30,000 miles sometimes. All the expensive parts are still in good shape.

13. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Here's an idea no one has mentioned: Toyota Sienna. You can find them with relatively low miles for great deals. They are super reliable and have a lot of space. A huge bonus is the seats pop right out to turn it into a mini cargo van. I scored one in amazing condition for 3200 with 140,000 miles on it. Drove it from S carolina to Southern Oaxaca and back last summer without a speck of a problem.

Also just scored an 83 Toyota SR5 pickup with with the infamous 22R with 83,000 miles on it for peanuts and painted it with rollers in my garage. Came out amazing. Sun roof winged windows tiny frame and great gas mileage........ what an awesome little surf mobile

14. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Hell yeah LazyE, gotta have room for the rig. I make sure my amp and guitar(s) can fit in whatever vehicle I drive. Boards can go on roofs but not guitars.

15. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Yup, the Sienna is a great van with fantastic reliability for a low price. How else can you explain buying a Toyota for under $5000 that isn't clapped-out with over 300,000 miles? People drive the living piss out of these things.

So...Toyota or Honda, for sheer reliability and value. However, I'd like to throw another one in the ring...Subaru. Out in these parts, they outnumber Toyota's and Honda's for a reason. They are built just as well, are just as reliable, and usually have 4-wheel drive to handle our conditions. They're built like tanks, drive like a dream and hold their value very well.

Lastly: You would be amazed at how little money you could spend on an 8-10 year old BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar or Land Rover with under 100,000 miles. I like nice cars, and have had excellent experiences with a Rover and 2 Bimmers...all bought with under 100K miles, totaling less than $20K. They've all been great cars with very few problems.

Of course, I do 90% of the repairs and maintenance myself.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I have a Subaru Outback; second one. Extremely reliable, relatively good mileage, boards fit well inside or on top, and comfy with great ergonomics. My first Outback lasted me 10 years; I have had this second one going on 3 years. Stereo system puts out a good sound as well. My next car?? Another Subaru. Their all wheel drive is really great here in New Hampshire snow--beats 4 wheel drive anytime

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2015
  17. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    ukelele surf, did you write something? All I saw was your avatar..

Oh, used Camrys are plentiful, lots of room in the trunk, rear seats fold down, great on gas and run forever.

18. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Totaled my 2005 Chevy equinox a few months back. Put the money right back into a 2012. I really like the car and Chevys run great. No racks on this one but boards up to 9 ft and of coarse the short boards fit inside. Miss the moon roof though.

19. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You're a lesbian?

20. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Yotas are bulletproof