Beginner advice to carve instead of skipping sideways.

Discussion in 'Global Bodyboarding Talk' started by BigSherm, Dec 10, 2015.

1. BigSherm

BigSherm Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2015
    What's happening everyone?

To introduce myself, I'm Scott. Call me Sherm if you like.
    I'm 47, an air ambulance helicopter pilot and army vet.
    I live in Ventura county, California, and my 14 year old daughter and I have been surfing every chance we get unless it's totally flat, beginning in the spring.

With the first overhead conditions of the year being bigger than what I can currently do on my surfboard, and since I really wanted to get out in the bigger waves, I started bodyboarding a week ago.

I had a blast bodyboarding in the bigger swell, and paddled into the biggest waves I've been in. That's what I love the most!

I'm 6'3" 220 lbs, riding a 44" Custom X Evo double stringer, and I use Hydro fins on my feet.

I'm having difficulty carving a bottom turn or going down the line of the wave. Instead, I end up sliding sideways and skipping forward out in front of the wave.

When trying to turn, I keep my inside hand on the inside corner of the nose and pull up with the outside hand about halfway down the rail like I'm supposed to. I move forward on my board and get good speed down the face after catching the wave, but the best turning I've done results in me skipping and sliding sideways while maybe going 45 degrees in the direction I'm trying for, rather than being able to track parallel with the wave.

Would you guys think I should try placing more of my weight on the inside rail, dragging my fins harder to keep me going in the direction I'm pointed, or something else?

Dragging my fins to keep my feet behind me seems to slow me down.

Any thoughts and tips from when you started bodyboarding would be appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time!
    -Sherm

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. crindlefish

crindlefish Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2015
    A proppre intro tread would help

3. crindlefish

Apr 23, 2015
    Really shift all your weight to the turn side rail though

4. BigSherm

Dec 10, 2015
    Hey crindlefish-

Thanks for your guidance.
    I edited my original post to include an introduction.

Thanks for the advice, too.
    Do you think it's important to drag the tips of your fins for direction control, or will digging your inside rail in keep you tracking ahead without that?
    Also, when turning, would you say your inside hip is even with the edge of your board, while your inside shoulder is hanging past the inside edge of your board?

Thanks again!
    Sherm

5. Barry bottomfeeder

Barry bottomfeeder Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Hey sherm. Welcome. I dont have any advice for bbing. Just keep doing what your doing show respect to others in the line up and keep enjoying any waves as much as possible. Theres been a trend lately of posting pics of your girlfriend or wife. It seems to help get you past the intro process a little quicker

6. Ronnie Mund

Ronnie Mund Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Pull the cyclic into the wave face while bottoming the collective. Add pedal as appropriate and don't forget to fxxx some whores.
    Dew.

7. BigSherm

Dec 10, 2015
    Hahahaha, Ronnie, always! Scouts out and AirCav!!!

And 5446-
    Here's my b*tch nearly naked on the beach!

image.jpg

-Sherm

8. Nickerino

Nickerino Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Really make sure your getting leverage off your board using the forearm thats holding the nose. The more you pull your rail into the wave the harder you turn, you may be moving your body sideways and not pulling your rail up enough to match it.......combined with being too low to the board going, going sideways is definitely possible. Its good to watch pros and look at their posture / rail movement.

9. BigSherm

Dec 10, 2015
    That sounds like good info, Nick, thanks.
    I believe I probably haven't been digging my inside rail in enough to get a good carve.

Looking at photos of others carving, I think my inside shoulder needs to go further toward the turn.

How important do you think it is to drag the toes of your fins to keep tracking ahead?

Thanks again,
    Sherm

10. The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII

The Incorrigible Steel Burrito VII Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    sweet intro welcome to the team. pics of your daughter or wife or girlfriend is obligatory hazing. and of course, kill yourself at your earliest convenience.

save a few bucks and come here for medical advice before going to the er. simod667 can accept Anthem and Aetna, but due to a backlash of fourum conservatives we are no longer accepting medicare or medicaid...

11. Barry bottomfeeder

Barry bottomfeeder Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Not as cute as the others. But rumor has it once u go black.

12. BigSherm

Dec 10, 2015
    She's cuter than some!

Seriously, though, do you guys find dragging of the fins is necessary to keep tracking ahead?

-Sherm

13. crindlefish

Apr 23, 2015
    I do find dragging the inside fin (whichever side your turning, if its a bottom turn then whichever leg is closest to the wave) does help. Do so proportionately, don't dig in deep if the wave is weak/small, dig in deeper as it gains power, etc. Dig in as hard or as soft as you feel helps best, just take more waves to figure that out. The only way to find it out is to try it repeatedly.

14. BigSherm

Dec 10, 2015
    That's the answer I need, thanks, Crindlefish!

Not to beat a dead horse, but would you say when turning hard, your body's center of gravity is pretty much over your inside rail?

Thanks again!
    Sherm

15. JawnDoeski

JawnDoeski Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2014
    You need a good scoop

Keep your legs spread and pull them together as you slide or glide down the face..oh and don't slide up on the board yet

As you get to the bottom use your elbow and the hand on the nose to flex the board as you pull on the rail and put yo wait on your inside hip dawg

101 Scooping

You owe me tree fiddy..I'll PM you the address which you can mail the payment

16. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Welcomme big Perm, I mean big Sherm! I don't boogie board, but your 2nd intro threade was on point, good job! Do you sand reconne before you go out? Your b_tch is hot, thanks for sharing!

17. funkyspec

funkyspec Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Trimming vs. Carving turns

[video=youtube;8B7kpAliIB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7kpAliIB4[/video]

18. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    get a surfboard

19. BigSherm

Dec 10, 2015
    metard-

I have a few surfboards already.
    Thanks!

JohnDoeski-

With all this info, I have no more excuses and better be slicing and carving all over the wave face when I get back to the beach in a few days!

Thanks for the help!

ZeroEvol-

I believe you're asking if I check for rocks, and the water depth before I head out?
    Yes I do!

FunkySpec-

Thanks for that video.

I like the SurfSimply guys! They have a great podcast every couple weeks, too.

Thanks again!
    -Sherm

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  20. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Nope, asking if you check for holes in the sand along the shoreline so you don't fall in one and drown