heated suites

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by LazyE, Jan 5, 2016.

1. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I don't think I ever owned a suite that went on smoothly.like my hyperflex 4/3 I'm currently using,literally takes me a good 15 minutes to get my legs in and up to my waist.i changed at the beach on the coldest day of the year,so I been changing at home and just drive out.i definitely ordered the wrong size,i got a medium,i should've got a medium tall or a large.there is no play whatsoever in this suite,its super duper duper tight

2. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    So what is the concensus on the heatedsuite??

I always wondered.... Looks like you could score one a bit cheaper now adays..

Where are all the swellinfo heatedsuite advisors??

3. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I have had the Quiksilver vest for 3 years. At that time it was around 175-200 bucks. Its is just a thicker rashguard vest with 2 heating pads on your lower back. The battery is in a side pocket located around the lower front part of your ribcage. It is about the size of two 9 volt batteries stacked on each other. At first I thought it might be in the way or be irritating, but it is not noticeable.

The first time I used it, I found it to be somewhat warmer, battery life seemed good and I was fairly happy to have it. It was a bit of a distraction sometimes because you can inadvertently change from high to low heat, or turn it off by mistake. I wore it frequently that winter, no problems.

The Next winter, I took it out and no workie. The battery had stopped functioning properly. I contacted the warranty dept and they asked me a couple of questions and prmptly shipped me a new vest and battery. I had recieved this as a gift, had no receipt etc so I thought that was pretty cool.

This year, the replacement failed as well, something in the actual vest. Did the same thing re warranty, and got another new one no questions asked. Now the price is much lower on these, and there seems to be no difference or improvement in the battery or vest.

Bottom line, after going through a fairly cold winter with it, and a couple of normal winters, you can get away with a so so 4/3 all year with the vest. Your core will stay toasty in a 5/4 and this seems to keep the blood flow to hand/feet going better so overall you are warmer. Not a game changer though, it is about the same as wearing an extra mm of rubber, or higher quality boots/gloves. I would spend the $ on a bettter suit or better gear rather than this vest. The best quality was the customer service when it broke.

4. BillySunday

BillySunday Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I highly recommend the Quicksilver heated vest. Did get poor reviews but that was mostly from first model which did have some issues. I think they are on version 3 I've had latest one for 2 years and works great. Best part Quicksilver discontinuing can get for around $90 on eBay and secondary market or $100 on Quik site.

5. sandyhooksurfer

sandyhooksurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I've had the Thermaloution heated shirt for about 3 years works great , 3 temps. settings , although I usually use the low setting ...on those winter days when the wind is honkin and the air and water are cold ,I turn it on and instant heat even before I hit the surf , keeps this old bugger in the game while most of my contemporarys are debating about how frickin cold it is . Yeah it maybe an unnessary luxury but it works great !

6. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I have had both the quiksilver and the thermalution. I got no fat and I get really cold. I get cold in Costa Rica in the summer . . . So when I surf RI in the winter I get colddddddd. THermalution was way warmer than quiksilver. But both thermalution dies just AFTER warranty expired. They shorted out. BUt with them I was wearing 4/3 Isurus all winter. I am back to the quiksilver, it is not as warm, but it lasts longer. The battery placement gives me bruises on my ribs, but it's better than shivering.

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks for the advise fellows

I was / am considering buying one... I sold an old wetsuite and got some extra cash.

I still don't know if I'm a gonna get one. Wearing a 4/3 all winter sounds nice...

8. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Sounds like you need to eat more food, just an observation Agabinet keed.

9. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    $105 on Amazon in most sizes.

10. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Yep, that is the straight up deal. 4/3 and a vest is way more fun than a 5/4 or more. Everybody handles cold differently.

11. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Nah, I need a new thermostat!

12. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    what a bout jizz? the thicker coat seems to add more insulation.

13. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Speaking of ease to get into a suit. Have you ever tried the bag trick? You take a plastic walmart bag or any plastic grocery bag and put it on your foot, then put your foot through the wetsuit leg. It slides in like butter, then you just pull the bag off your foot and on to the next leg or hand. My friend told me about this years ago and I couldn't believe how easy the suit went on. Try an arm in your living room just for fun. It's amazing.