No barrels in afterlife?

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by Bruce Springsuite, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Bruce Springsuite

Bruce Springsuite Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Lol well I cant surf right now because I just had the meniscus surgery. So I guess I have been thinking about stuff more.

2. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    I had never thought about it like that.

3. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    What convinced you that Christianity is real? I feel like most people often have a hidden agenda which is why I struggle with fully believing in religion. Especially when creating a religion provides so much power and control (which people have always done). I always over analyze and question things people tell me which makes it harder. I definitely believe there is a creator/God though. I just don't know that anyone could really know which one it is.

4. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Barry,
    Your Jesuit education is showing...
    HOWEVER... I, nor Saint Tom ever once mentioned Christ or any other deity, or religion for that matter, in the "first mover" argument. I was also implying the movement of waves with the idea of barrels.

Please don't tell me how you trolled me...

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    GCC, you can believe in God or a creator without believing in religion. Religion is man made, and is nothing more than a social club for like minded people to support each others beliefs and feel good about them. If lots of folks believe the same thing as you, and you surround yourself with those people, then it makes your beliefs seem legit. Safety in numbers right?

I'm not a bible thumper but I have read it cover to cover and in it, it suggests religion is actually bad, and that you should just have a relationship w/Jesus / God. You don't need to go to a Church or some building to worship your creator. Me personally? I was baptized in my early 20's (i'm 34 now), tried doing the Church thing, didn't feel like I belonged there, and I questioned some of what the bible says, which is unpopular with "those people".

These days, I paddle out and do my thinking and have my time with God in the ocean, which has done a lot more for me than anything else. You don't need someone to preach to you, or tell you how to live, you just need to appreciate this world and who created it, (yes there is a creator, something doesn't come from nothing) and try to be the best you you can be and be kind and loving to others.

By doing that I believe you'll end up in a good place in the "after life", whatever that may be. Some call it heaven, some don't. The name of where we're going, is irrelevant.

6. jettyflea

jettyflea Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Interesting thread. As you get older and more people around you die, you tend to think about what happens after you die. I always question why God would do certain things. Christians say it's God's plan or man created these bad things but you wonder why God still let's it happen. I do believe there is a higher power but more through the universe itself. The more you read about science and matter, it makes you wonder about energy and where our energy in matter goes after we "die". I like to think are matter travels and compresses itself again.

It probably sounds like I"m off my rocker but this is coming from someone who has never tried DMT and always thought this way before ever hearing about these people experimenting with DMT. What scientists are discovering in the universe with time alone, energy and matter is mind blowing and makes more sense than a God floating in the sky to myself. Maybe this is what religion is talking about instead of what most people assume to be God.

The thing that has always stood out for me, is ourselves. Our heart beats and our brain sends "electricity" to control our body, thoughts, everything yet we aren't machines plugged into the wall or operate on batteries. We just consist of energy that enables this to happen.

Surfing is definitely sprirtual to me, maybe because so much of the ocean (energy, tides) are linked to the universe.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    This scene from Men in Black always manages to put things in perspective for me. We're really small. We don't even know how small we really are.

[video=youtube;OKnpPCQyUec]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKnpPCQyUec[/video]

8. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    No barrells fo' you!

9. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    I can't argue with that.

Bottom line is most peoples faith is due to cultural influences. If you live where most people are of a certain faith chances are you will be of the same faith.

10. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Damn barry just got smited!!!

11. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    So You are saying Saint Tom is still in existence? What's the matter?

12. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    DP, please tell me that when you realized it, you went into someones room in the middle of the night, hammer in hand, and said, I reckon I want to be baptized. That would make my day.

[​IMG]

sloucho, I remember the last time I played with my GI Joe's. After a bout of midnight skating in 7th, got a little high, and out of nostalgia broke them out and had one final battle.

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    slingblademmmhmmm.jpg

14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
  15. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    GCC,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to your question to one of my posts. I was "out of commission" for a bit. The full detailed answer would be too long and personal in this venue (maybe a PM). However, I can share some aspects of my journey that maybe relevant to your concerns.
    - I did grow up exposed to Christianity as a youth, however, did not adopt/follow any religion (i.e., go to church, etc) when I started college and on was my own.
    - In my 20's, Lived by the basic philosophy, "work hard, play hard", "eat, drink and be merry, for life is short", and "generally treat others as you'd want to be treated, i.e., be cool"
    - I generally thought religion was not important, a crutch, and unnecessary (at times even stupid), yet I did not seemed to care what anyone else did, meaning "to each his own with such shizzle" and "whatever floats their boat."
    - In my 30's, not really seeking, but certainly in the back of my mind had questions/consciousness as to the "meaning and purpose of life." At this point through a "random encounter", not in a church, no emotionally manipulation or other trappings, but from a total stranger (I was actually just getting a cup of coffee -- that's how off the wall it was) shared the simplicity of the "good news" and a relationship with God through Christ (not religion), to which I responded by believing the basic premise of what was shared with me, however, not knowing much about the bid picture, theology, etc.
    - At this point something changed in me, a spiritual awakening per se, and I began to pursue (figure out) what the heck happened. Was it real, was it true, did it make sense. I began to explore, read many things.. bible and other books, historical, etc., and things began to make sense, and I began to understand that the character of God revealed in Christ was extraordinary and at this point undeniable. Thus a relationship with this creator God through Christ became irreversibly compelling, to which I continue to maintain and pursue.
    - I will say (and have said before) that it is unfortunate when religion clouds, confuses and even repels people from a relationship with their creator, especially given the abuses of power, corruption, control, agenda that, as you correctly say "people have always done." Thus, I can understand the apprehension and disdain many have toward anything that sniffs of God, Jesus, or Church. I have seen and experienced abuses first hand, but fortunately I realize that God remains true in spite of those who misrepresent, and have also be blessed to experience people with a genuine love of God.

So, I would say, keep an open mind and "test all things, but hold tightly to the things that are good". And "stay thirsty my friend", and may you be given the drink that eternally satisfies.

BTW, I hope your recovery continues to go well.

16. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    far out, dude

17. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Well said.

18. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I wish all Christians were this Christian.