attacked

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by GnarActually, Jul 16, 2009.

1. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    today, i was giving a surf lesson, and i was standing in about stomach high water. all of the sudden something hit my left calf, hard. i then immediatly asked the kid to whom i was giving a lesson if he kicked me, since that it felt like someone kicked me, but he said no. then again the thing rammed into the same spot it did earlier. i now have a bruise and weird lines on my calf. i'm pretty sure its not a skate because the "attack, or run-in" seemed to hard and powerful. i think it was either a rather large fish, or maybe a sand shark. any suggestions? their were a lot of dolphins out, haha but im pretty sure i would know it was one.

2. GreatWhiteShark

GreatWhiteShark Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    it was my cousin Phil. sorry.

3. mikedub

mikedub Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Montauk Monster

4. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    can you please post a picture of your cousin as there was a little shark swimming in the lineup down south.

5. GreatWhiteShark

GreatWhiteShark Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Ol' Phil never finishes the job. ...real lazy

6. Northbeach

Northbeach Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Was this around DE / OCMD? The reason why I ask was because a couple days ago the gaurds called everyone out from about 4th st to main street in Bethany after an apparent dorsal fin sighting that looked like a sandskate. There was an article about it in the Costal Point and some people thought it was some kind of ray... either way, scary I'm sure but glad that a bruise is all you got.

7. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    their pulling people out for SKATES now??!!! good lord.

8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Sounds like a load of Bull Shark to me.

9. Driftingalong

Driftingalong Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Hey man, whatever you're into...

10. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Drifting Along - Too funny! Way to be "on it!"

11. bolo

bolo Member

Mar 16, 2009
    what is a sandskate? sorry!

12. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Bahahahhaha!

13. Electricbanana69

Electricbanana69 Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    fish

About a month ago, the dolphins were extremely close to shore, like even closer than the line up. Anyway, when they're feeding sometimes the fish swim in towards shore to escape, so it was probably just a good size fish. I remember they were attacking everyone that day. My friend even had a big ass fish plop up on his longboard.

14. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I've surfed near dolphins a lot, and If it was a dolphin that rammed you, you'd know, so I'm going to go with a fairly large fish

15. wavehunter

wavehunter Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Speaking of fish and such in the lineup, one time I was (ashamedly) surfing north side IRI on a good day and I was the furthest person north. The water, about the size of a football field was bubbling and the bubbles were heading toward me so I got a little scared and jumped out. I realized it was a huge school of blue fish and I tried to yell to the guys that were further south to get out and one guy, when the bubbling got to him just started screaming, OH GOD, WTF!!! I'M BEING BIT! Crazy stuff. When he got out his foot was all bloody. Most likely not blues you're talking about but it just reminded me of the time that happened.

16. oracles89

oracles89 New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Same type thing happened to me too. I was just swimming and something hit my leg. Figured it was a sand-shark too, lost in all the sea-weed. Not very big.

17. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    If you've ever caught a blue and released it from the hook, you'd see that they have some pretty nasty looking teeth! (and they do bite fingers and toes) that would account for the boiling waer, the bump, the dolphin feeding, and the bites! Just part of mother nature's food web! (just watch out for giant squid! - some wild stuff going on in San Diego)

18. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    i am way more worried about a bluefish getting interested in my watch or wedding ring than i am a shark. they attack anything shiny. they are like salt water piranhas. when i was a kid we would go to the outer banks and see the 'bluefish blitz'--where they swim right up onto the beach. those sharp little teeth look like they can take a nice hunk of meat out with one bite. ouch.

19. RedStripe75

RedStripe75 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Quote:

i have been rammed a couple times by something big

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driftingalong View Post
    Hey man, whatever you're into...

Well played, sir!

20. 1.stoked.drew

1.stoked.drew Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008