Fear of surf after having kids

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by jettyflea, Feb 20, 2016.

1. jettyflea

jettyflea Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Ok. Let the bashing begin. I've been out in heavy surf and somedays I handle the head high and above days fine. I took a beating a few weeks ago during that big swell and a decent hold down into a jetty. I attempted to go out today which was bigger than expected but still only chest high with maybe some random shoulder high sets.

I know the hold down the other week can attribute to my fear but I paddled out today (which wasn't big) and the fear came back. I felt the current taking me and I"m also out of shape after having kids. I did the walk of shame and was actually defeated and didn't attempt to paddle back out. I noticed this happens every now and then since I had my kids. It has never happened before I had kids.

Does anyone else get this and how do you get it out of your head? I also found out I have exercise induced asthma which doesn't help either now. That causes me to cough during surfing and after for hours.

2. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    pu$$y....just to get that out of the way

3. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Robert Taft Rumfoord Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Listen dude.....

Are you a chick...the after giving birth thing.........? I can't talk aboot that

But if you are a dude.......

It's all in the mental. It's your mind that is doing that to you.

A grinding 6 foot + day on the east side really is tame.

Listen, I'm not being cocky. I've suffered from the same thing. I've had this thing where I was thinking, " Well, I've done drugs, I drink too much and I smoke cigs....."

I'm not cardio-good. But I always paddle out into anything, well I did.

But it really all is the mental...unless you are like 300 pounds....and if you are I mean no disrespect.

On the next sizeable day watch a wave break.

And watch and see how quick it dissipates. It's not long.

Take walks and hold your breath while walking.

But nothing will "cure" you as actual experience in the bigger waves.

I don't know aboot the jetty crash unless you don't get the ways of the drift. That comes with experience too.

4. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Jetty flea:
    I totally get this. The past six months asthma has been kicking my butt. It's barely controlled with all kinds of inhalers and Meds. Since then, I just don't dare go into a bigger wave because I don't think I could survive a three wave hold down, maybe not even a one wave hold down.

So I do the shameful thing of just surfing whitewater on those bigger days. At least am getting wet and having fun.

You gotta just let it go and do what you can do.

The kid thing-- that's normal too. If you feel like you're doing something risky, then of course you're gonna be thinking about your responsibility as s father. For myself, My husband and I stopped doing risky stuff until the kids were grown. It's only right. It's part of being a man, and not a guy who never leaves his adolescence.

5. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    Umm, surfing head high days isn't risky behavior.

The three women on here.....I don't know......man. Maybe I'm gay.

Of course they are all people who don't really surf. Obvious by their posts. They are like me at 9-years-old riding white water at Zuma Beach.

What the hell would having a kid have to do with riding five foot waves?

It's not a death sentence.

Man, do you people understand that you wouldn't survive in the surf world twenty years ago.

Doug$ and Darrin Kelly would have hassled the shat out of y'all at the Pier.

Citta would have dropped in on you at 25th ST.

And none of you would be able to handle the isolation and ruggedness of the OBX.......

And yeah, those wetsuites weren't as good for you Peter Pan types up north.......

This place and the state of surfing fuking sickens me these days. It's just crazy. No one pays any dues anymore. They expect to be accepted for riding whitewater straight to the beach......like they are part of the "tribe"

Jesus freakin Christ, sorry Wayne.......

6. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    Of course I'll be the bad guy here.....

But look at Betty's "advice" which is nothing but BS....

And look at my advice.......

And the new generation keeps sinking lower.

A three wave hold down?

In Florida?

Say what?

Man, fuk all these newcomers. F all of you. You ruined the surf world. I'm sick of it.

No wonder I'm losing interest.

7. crindlefish

crindlefish Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Hey Betty, out of curiosity where on the east coast are you getting a three wave hold down?

8. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012

Bro, you're cut off!

J/k.

True about back in the day. But, you should not lose interest b/c of others. Think about Brock Little back in the day. And hell yea 30 years ago obx was pretty core.

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Betty, I think it's smart that you know your limits

10. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    They didn't even have cable to watch Cantore and Keenely on The Weather Channel !!!

Say what you will aboot me, but I've been around the block. I've suffered my dues in Seaside and shat.

And the waves were so much better back then.....

11. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    Hey Jay D I know you agree with what I'm saying....

I know that....

But...I'm aboot to crack my 17th shot of the day........

And yeah I'll feel bad aboot snarking Betty....

But......

Dude, these types would have been KILLED back in the day........

And like it or not we all lose something by it.

Of course my WHO KILLED BROCK thing was ignored......

But, this is what killed Brock.....................

I believe that.

12. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    OP...I have 3 kids...been washed into the jetty more times than I like to admit. I personally don't sweat it and make good decision when in the water...do I get a bit of anxiety when a raging current on a big day is pushing EM towed a jetty...sure but who doesn't. But I know my water skills and abilities and trust myself. Its really a head game and I agree with Betty. Know your limits and feel comfortable about that... plenty of guys with a bit anxiety and medical issues only going out on smaller days and I do t think you should worry about it. Enjoy the surf you feel most comfortable with...better to k ow how much you can handle rather Han put yourself and others in danger trying to help/rescue you...

13. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    you need a hug

14. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I surfed a big storm swell that I had no business being in. It might be small too you, but it was a 6' wave which is too big for my skills. So, I took the first wave of three, slipped off the board, got pushed down, then pushed down again by the second, and again by the third. Yes, it can happen in Florida.

15. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    Hey I know we didn't get along all the time but I respected you as a surfer.....

I always thought you were competent.

You get washed into jetties all the time?

In Ocean City?

16. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    Ahh maybe novices should refrain from "giving advice" ?

Just a suggestion....That's what this boils down to.

I mean, I don't know shat aboot many things, like rock climbing. But I don't offer advice to people aboot such things.

And if anyone wants to verify my credentials, I implore any of you to spend a week or two following me around.

Man, I used to be sponsored by Rip Curl, BZ and mothertrucking Wave Jammer.

I DID ESA CONTESTS !!!!

18th and final. I've been drinking since 10:30 this morning. But I paced myself.

Yo, Jay D meet me at Cedars tomorrow.

17. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    I don't know if youse talking to mees, but I wanted to hug you a few months ago in New York.

Hey, I was going down an elevator at Penn station then and someone coming up gave me a look....was that you? I had my traveling, I'm a surfer gear on so I could smuggle truffles from Stamford, CT.

Truffles are fuking awesome.

My dog can find them too. He's like, " Ahhh ruff I'll get y'all truffles yep.....woof, yep take me in the woods."

18. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Nah man...wrong place wrong time...a number of times. Once at LBI once during a hurricane swell...trashed my board after wiping out and pushing me into the rocks in cedars, another in belmar area a Day after a Nor Easter took off in front of jetty...went over the falls...right into the rocks...bounced around a bit and pushed out and over it....another in Monmouth county...ah well...it happens...

19. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    Yeah, I got you.

I hit the rocks in Cedars once myself. On a Cane swell too. North Jetty Cape May, you know before hitting the Hudson area......

And once at Holyjoke, I paddled out in the middle of the field because it was crowded as shat.....and almost hit the jetty south of Holyjoke......but then drifted and rode shat all the way down Leeward way.

GOD I MISS THE OLD DAYS !!!

Love ya Truth, whether you realize it or not.....

20. Robert Taft Rumfoord

Dec 7, 2015
    JAY D !!

Or Truth...well, more Jay D because.........he probably has weed.

Meet me at Cedars tomorrow.