Mini Qs ...Twinzaahh!

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Big Wet Monster, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Just sent my deposit in for a custom mini sim twinzer from B.Wynn of nj.

Pretty excited to see what comes of the order. First mini simmons for myself although am a fan of the float and glide from fishes. Getting a copy of Larry Mabile's ghostbuster @ 5'6''

First Q for the groupe... Anyone ride a twinzer mini simmons before? Anyone think it was too loose or lacked drive?

Is a 5'6'' x 22.5 x 2 7/8'' ok for me (195-200lbs @ 6')?

Thank you to the swellinfo community

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I had a Larry Mabile. He used to shape for G&S.
    Mine was a quad; loved it, but decided fish were not for me, so I sold it.

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I have a quad mini simmons and a twinnie mini simmons, no twinzers. I'm not always sure I know what people mean when they talk about "drive" Assuming you mean the pumping for speed, or coming out of a turn with speed going down the line, here's the thing...the board is 5'6" by 22.5" with a big square tail!...speed is never going to be an issue going down the line and these boards just aren't made for the kinds of high performance turns where you really load up the rails and fins and shoot out.

IDK about the size question...I'm 40 pounds lighter than you. It sound like about the same size as mini simmons that friends of mine who are your size are riding.

You're gonna love it....your from Maryland so I assume you surf Assateague now and then...Mini Simmons are just made for that wave.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    I ride quads have been messing with small trailers to loosen it up. When I do, I lose drive. It was a noticeable feeling when I wasnt beating sections I was before with a stiffer feel. So I went back to larger trailer fins for my quads.

I know I won't power surf this thing but I will try to get it on rail (or close to it) if possible and read that twinzers can feel too loose.

Looking forward to taking this out at assateague and a few spots in jersey. Thanks Mitch for the feedback.

5. El Stupido

El Stupido Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I have a 5'7" Nature Shapes that I typically ride with twin keels and a Middle Finger in the center box. It works well like that for me at 6' and 190/200. I have also ridden it as a quad and with 5 fins but prefer the keels.

6. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
  7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

8. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  9. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Can't wait to see how it turns out.

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I have a twin fin simi froma local shaper. The fins are glassed on and are "half moon" style.. works well going down the line but they lack bite in any steeper/ more critical drops and trying to turn the thing always results in a bogged out stall lol. Its good for trimming the top and nice lines... deff not doing any short board snaps/cutbacks on it. Its my "long board" for those days where your trying to make the most of what ya got. I would go with a fin that is more up to date- unless ya want that classic look, and it looks good, but you sacrifice function. I got mine 2nd hand (really 3rd hand) so I had no say in the matter. Too nice and the price was right, i had to get it!

Edit: To touch on the question, no it doesnt lack any drive, they are fast !

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    really good call...that board is gonna blow your mind in summer mush.

12. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Heard about the half moons hindering the maneuverability. I wanted something loose and different and went with a twinzer setup. Asked for a small channel between the canard front fin and the larger rear fin. Thanks dude!

13. sheetglass

sheetglass Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    I own a Brian Wynn Twinzer that found me via another member on this board. It's more of a rocket-fish shape with a more traditional bottom, but it is very fun! Solid craftsmanship, too.

14. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Brian shaped this for me. Seen a bunch of his boards and seen he has done a bunch of twinzers so felt he was well-qualified to take my money

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Freakin' sick, dude. So jealous...

16. jimmycrab

jimmycrab Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Did a custom Wynn twinzer Simms a few years back, replicated a mabile ghostbuster very similar to yours but without the channels. I did add a center fin plug for a nubster, which I haven't used yet. My go to board at AI under chest high. Great board for that wave. I'm 180pds, 5'10 and ride a 5'8.

17. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I've got a mini with glass on half moons with about the same proportions as yours. It's super fast, and a lot of fun down the line, but when I try to turn, it's like I'm doing an old school skateboard power slide... then I sink...
    Again, I'll never be a a pro, but that will keep me from being a whore, so I got that going for me... Looks like a fun stick!

18. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Can't wait to paddle this out at AI. Will post pics as the board gets dressed up.

19. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Looks nice. That won't work in smaller hollow waves though. That thing would float me perfectly.

20. Big Wet Monster

Feb 4, 2010
    Yeahhhh buddy. Here is how it came out.

image1 (4).jpg
    image3.JPG
    image4.jpg
    image2.jpg

Surfed OCNJ on Monday. Chest high, high tide. Some steep waves but generally nice walls. This thing flies (Bonzer bottom with shallow channel between canard and rear fin = LIFT OFF). I was beating sections I wouldn't be able to with my other boards. Didn't feel stiff at all. Looseness caught me off guard. Almost slipped out frontside a few times but after finding the sweet spot I could throw some solid turns. Not going to replace a LB but is going to be a great addition for the quiver. Brian was nice guy and was cool to see his shaping space.

Only con is that it turned out a bit heavier than I expected but I asked for 6oz bottom and 6+6 on top. The channels prob soaked up a fair amount of resin too.