Initial Stance

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by JohnnyCornstarch, Mar 1, 2016.

1. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    I've been surfing consistently for 3 years now, but one thing I've struggled to this day with is proper foot placement every time. Sure, getting up on the board is easy, but I'd say about 40% of the time my back foot and front foot end up being too far forward.

It seems like I thrust myself too far forward from time to time and end up in a barrel-stance rather than one where my back foot is on the back bump of the traction pad.

Btw, there is literally no worse feeling than getting a perfectly good wave and not having good footing.

I was considering a front traction pad but to prevent me from lunging too far forward but not sure how much that'd help, thoughts?

2. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    I love my front foot trac pad!
    Go to Northshoreinc.com you can get Square foot sheets with 3M adhesive for $8.5/SqFt

I do notice, when I'm not wearing booties, It's way harder to shuffle your feet around.

3. ScobeyviIIe

Nov 3, 2015
  4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Just be mindful of it every time you go to pop up, takes practice and repetition, I sometimes end up too far forward as well but when I focus on it I'm able to correct it. Your body will go where your mind goes. Maybe a wider stance to begin with might help? Maybe your just putting your feet too close together. Don't go all sinkbug on us though!

5. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Actually had to work on foot placement when I went from twins to thrusters. I found the traction pad (on the back) to be helpful. I actually looked back to be sure my foot was far enough back on take offs for awhile and eventually I didn't have to think about it. I know it can be weird but your feet aren't nailed down so you can adjust on the go unless it's totally bombing. Also have put a small piece of duct tape as a target. Goode luck.

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    short answer: scooch back 4-6 inches when you paddle for waves

long answer: after riding a 6-6 thruster most of my life I tried some different boards. a fish, a hybrid, a fun shape, a trash can lid, and a long board. most all of those have a wide point ahead of center or so much volume you can lay where ever you want to paddle. when i got back on the thruster i had to remember to put my knees right on the up kick of the tail pad. any farther forward and i would have fvcky foot placement like you are talking about.

also, fwiw my back foot (as well as most ppl on short boards) moves around quit abit. moves forward to pump, and back for turns. more so on frontside.

7. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    do you have any skin on your titties? or are you always in a wetsuit?

8. ScobeyviIIe

Nov 3, 2015
    Always in a 3/2 and booties for the mornings. San Diego aint warm!

9. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    well ok.....

will you show me yur titties tho?

10. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    An Indo Board in the longboard model will help you move your feet while surfing. The shortboard model gives you a nice stance.

11. ScobeyviIIe

Nov 3, 2015
    ( .) (. )

12. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    ^THIS
    You will find that as you progress in your surfing that your feet will move all over the board depending on what you do, and just like a pop up it will eventually happen without you thinking about it. I pop up a little forward of my tail pad all the time and just shift back on my board without ever thinking about it.

13. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There is a worse feeling. Standing into a perfectly good wave and your leash is wrapped around both your feet.

I going to guess the 40% of the time you are putting your feet to far up has to do with where you are on the wave when you drop in. If you are doing right most of the time concentrate on why. If you make an effort to put you back foot in the right spot your front foot has to follow right. you may blow a few more waves at first but it will just become natural after a bit.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    Didn't think of that at all but good call. I'm in a wetsuit one month out of the year...

15. JohnnyCornstarch

Feb 24, 2015
    I think patience and actually thinking about what you're doing is the next level of surfing, at least for me. Being comfortable to the point where you can make those minute adjustments in-the-moment.

16. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014

17. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I think we have all been in this situation, regardless of the years we have been surfing. The more you surf, the better you will feel about moving around on your board after you stand up. Have you popped up and had your feet too close? That one is fun and then you think wtf was that. HA HA HA HA

18. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Ever had the leash wrap your front foot as you try to stand up? HA HA HA HA That one is fun

19. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Once put my best foot forward where the wax had rubbed off and went into as close as a split as I'll ever do.

20. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ever drop in on someone that surfs better than you and then watch him throw your sh!t in the water?