Best Water Filter

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by seldom seen, Mar 3, 2016.

1. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I currently drink tap water...chilled tap water to be exact, with ice. Do you guys even Brita? If so, filter on the tap or do you use one of the pitchers?

Any other options than Brita? Homemade filters with charcoal?

I'll be setting up several rain catches in my yard this year...for plants not for me unless it's a crisis situation, in which case I'd boil.

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have a Brita pitcher but haven't changed the filter in forever, thanks for the reminder. I mostly drink bottled water though.

3. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    My beach water tastes like b!tch water. I bought a whole house Filtrete filter system at wally world for 20 bucks on clearance. I'm gonna use my amazin' engineerin' skills and attempt to hook it up to just the kitchen faucet. I would have no idea how to hook it up to the condo water line...

4. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Brita Filters "expire" way too fast, so does the competition. Just drink the tap, no worries. Just ask Flint.

5. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    At the very least your tap water has fluoride in it, might have ammonia as well. Take a small amount of water and boil it dry in a nonstick pan to see if any white residue is left behind. If so then you are ingesting some fun loving chemicals.

6. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Flouride in the tap water?! Hell yeah, I can give up brushing my teeth!

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    That's not all that's in tap water. Don't drink that crap lol

8. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    BWHAHAHA I have a Brita Advanced faucet filter

9. Sniffer

Sep 20, 2010
    The tap water is the least of our worries. Whats in our food is out of control. 90% of our food is banned in 160 other countries…nuff said.

10. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I need one of those. There are some really expensive water filtration systems out there, i'm just not going to pay out the ass for one. Brita makes it affordable, it's not 100% the best option, but it's better than tap.

11. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    ammonia won't be left behind as a solid if you boil tap water homeboy, ammonia would volatize but you could have chloramine (harmless)

any residual white stuff would be salts (calcium, magnesium, sodium chloride) needed micronutrients or again harmless compounds.

check your municipalities web page for the testing results to see if they have violated any of the federal drinking water standards. if they have violations they have to post it in the news paper.

the only things I would get uptight about are thm's (trihalomethanes) from over chlorination or maybe chromium in the Cr+6 (hex) variety.

I never graduated high school so I really don't know jack. I just cook at waffle house.

12. Sniffer

Sep 20, 2010
    I mentioned Fluoride as the main concern.

13. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    I only fvck with bottled water.

14. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014

you really don't need to worry about fluoride or fluorosis. i'm not trying to tell you what to do but if you are concerned with that then you wasting your time.

15. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

Wow good reply! we must work in similar fields or something. I work at the McDonalds on the boardwalk in Belmar.

Im not too concerned with the drinking water- although we have a frig with a built in filter so it tastes good.

back in my old surf shack I used to use one of the pitcher type britta things, but it had a tap on the front so you didn't need to take it out to pour. the water there would occasionally taste like a pool- I guess when they would treat the water they put too much chlorine in or something. idk. I remember testing it with a pool test kit and it had just as much as a pool should have...

16. Sniffer

Sep 20, 2010
    It all depends on your outlook on why the govt is having us ingest chemicals. Is there an ultimate game plan to weaken us on purpose…maybe. Is it just a way for chemical manufactures to make billions of dollars? Either way its not for the good of people like you and I Metard.

17. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    If you have a asphalt shingle roof, do not under any circumstance drink the water or water plants that you may eat with the water from rain barrels. Very high levels of carcinogens and heavy metals leach into water when it touches asphalt shingles. Just trying to keep you safe buddy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  18. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I appreciate the heads up on that dawg, good looks:cool:

19. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    HEY YOUS GUYS!!!

did you ever see that surf film where they collect rain water from a tarp to drink?

seldome- if you need to drink the rain water, just put a tarp on your ruff.

I think the surf movie was called "second thoughts" - its actually one of my favorites. the full length film is on youtube for free..

20. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Your post made me think, and then do a little research.
    This site:http://www.thecenterforrainwaterharvesting.org/ has some good info on all roof types, and claims that the stones on the asphalt shingles actually help trap heavy metals. Again this is just some quick research and more food or "drink" for thought.
    I didn't do any research on the site itself. Maybe it's owned by the, "Asphalt Roofing Conglomeration of Monsanto.":cool: