Seaglass Hunting

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by MrMacdugal, Jan 9, 2015.

1. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
  2. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Would still be cool to see I guess.

The real fun of beachcombing is the discovery though. We used to get a lot of sea glass here. Sand renourishment aboot 10-12 years ago put the brakes on that. Most of that sand is gone now so maybe the glass will come back. If you learn up a bit on it, you can determine the age and/or origin of some of your glass by color, manufacturing techniques and the way they've been altered by exposure.

We do find plenty of other stuff. Several pairs of Oakley shades. Snorkles, masks and fins. GoPro cam. Fishing gear. My wife does a great job of spotting cash in the seaweed all the time as well. No square grouper though (yet). Put in some time and tune yourself in. Amazing what is to be found.

3. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I'm watching the cams at my break as they do a replenishment as I post this. After the replinshments we find a lot of different ish, sometimes big shark's teeth... Stuff dredged off the bottom and brought to shore.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Syringes as well?? Oh, wait--you are not in New Joisey....

5. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Every time I go to the beach I bring my empty crazy horse bottles and smash them over people's heads. Now my beach (yes I own it) is covered in sea glass. The glass is a little sharp, which makes it worth more.

6. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    A couple years back they did a maintenance dredge of the inlet channel here. The result was all kinds of crazy stuff on the beach. Not what was pumped but what got stirred up and drifted south. Among other things a half dozen Makapuu fins though no matched pair, golf balls out the whazoo and shiploads of aluminum cans in various states of decomposition.

7. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    eff the seaglass. i'm gonna get me some of that whale sh!t gold! (aka ambergris)
    ambergris_1b.jpg

8. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    I need that. Now.

9. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    The last piece went in today. I still have a couple of days left of enhancing and grouting, but I wanted to share with my SI homies.
    image.jpg
    After viewing post I realize it's a sh!tty picture. I'll repost later.

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's fkn sick Archy.

11. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
  12. SloFlo

SloFlo Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    This is looking truly nice! Will there be lights behind it? I think it would have popped even more, if their stone had been ivory, beige, brown, or a mix of all, though. Too bad you are not in Florida...have had a horrible time with two contractors at FL residence...floor to ceiling marble...plumber nicked the shower pan while re-piping the entire house; so, he brought someone in to remove bottom tiles and first row, replaced the pan and those extremely difficult to find pieces (Argentina/mine close...) and re-grouted it, for all of the grout to simply vanish along the first row. I do not know much about it, but I am guessing that he did not properly mix the grout...all a nightmare. Now, I have to find someone else to do it. I would love to see a photo of that job, once you are finished with it, please. I do love sea glass. It looks like ripples of water, relaxing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  13. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
  14. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Classic tard