LB NJ guy almost died

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by chazsurf, Jul 24, 2009.

1. chazsurf

chazsurf Member

Jul 24, 2009
    today i was surfing in long branch and a surfer hit a bodyboarder and the guy split his head in half the guy got really ****ed up. i was wondering if anyone heard about this or wat happened?

2. LVl<E

LVl<E Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    no one wants your bull**** threads chazz!! no haha i was there with you that was horrible and they didnt get the ambuance outta there for like 10 mins especially when the kid had like head trama and he shoulda been outtaa there in like 3 mins. the guy that hit hims a local too. always there. really good. knows what hes doing. wasnt his fault at all

3. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    thats horrible. how did the surfer hit him? Was the bodyboarder in the impact zone? Surfer hit him with the nose or the fins of hist board? Its almost amazing this crap doesn't happen more often with how crowded it gets in the summer time.

4. chazsurf

chazsurf Member

Jul 24, 2009
    he hit him with the nose and skegs but the nose did the damage and the surfer is a local and real good the wasnt his fault but the body boarder did no wat he was doin and was in the impact zone

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    a bodyboarder did die in newport, ca a few days ago. He pulled into a huge beach break monster barrel at the wedge when this jumbo south swell hit, he got sucked over a 15 foot shore break falls and smashed into sand. Its on surfline.com. RIP. Thats why stand up surfers dont surf the wedge. Its a man made death trap. This is why man made reefs and sandbars are dangerous. unnatural.

6. rodndtube

rodndtube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2006
    Believe it was a bodysurfer. It is rather insane that shortboarders and at least one SUP'er was out there. Not insane, stupid, to put others in harm's way.

7. DaveyB

DaveyB Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2008
    the wedge dude was smashed into the rocks, heard about it on the news. hope the kid that got hit by the surfer is ok.

8. surfnasty22

surfnasty22 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2007
    hey what beach where you at this morning? i was at Pav Ave and i saw this guy who slammed the side of his head on a surfboard he was caught by someone else though, i wasnt completely sure if he was okay or not.

9. STASI

STASI Active Member

May 22, 2006
    I just read a guy died in OCMD while surfing. On delsurf.com. Look before you go.

10. LVl<E

LVl<E Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    right infront of sirena at pier village. no secret spot or anything. the surfer was talking to me before we both for in the water. it was only his first wave. thats such a buzz kill though for him

11. surfnasty22

surfnasty22 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2007
    no **** man, i paddled out around 6am there then walked down to pav ave around 8. was the bodyboarder over weight? and what time?

12. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    the guy who died at the wedge was name Monte Kevin Valantin he was smashed into the rocks after sets of 20ft kept coming.

13. mtnsurf

mtnsurf Member

Apr 15, 2008
    bummed to hear about this...that whole pier village area is such a zoo. yeah, that spot can get decent, but i don't understand why anyone would want to surf there in the middle of all that madness...

14. LVl<E

LVl<E Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    well i dont drive yet and none of my friends do either were all like 16 and so getting to otehr breaks is difficult sometimes. and trains from little silver drops us like 2 blocks from beach there so we jsut walk right down. guy who got hit was after i got off work so around like 3

15. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    can someone post a link to the story in OC MD about the death?

16. NJBB

NJBB Member

Oct 12, 2007
  17. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    [​IMG]

SURFER REMOVED FROM OCEAN IN CARDIAC ARREST

Before the Ocean City Beach Patrol reported for duty Friday morning, surfers pulled a fellow surfer from the ocean near the Hilton Suites on 33rd Street. Several lifeguards were already on the beach and assisted with treatment when it was reported around 7:40 a.m. "We had staff getting reading for our early morning Junior Beach Patrol program," says Kristin Joson, OCBP spokeswoman. "Two of our Crew Chiefs were able to respond on quad [ATV]."

The surfer was in cardiac arrest and they performed CPR while waiting for EMS. He was taken to Atlantic General Hospital in grave condition.

Photo by Kristin Joson, OCBP Web Editor/Public Relations Coordinator

Beach Patrol Capt. Butch Arbin says the man may have suffered a spinal injury. Witnesses observed the surfer fall off in shallow water. Capt. Arbin said he does not believe the man survived. Initial witness statements made it sound as if he bailed out after a ride and may have struck the bottom and sustained a neck injury but later reports suggested he had suffered an aneurysm and later died. [Getting medical updates these days from hospitals is often difficult because of HIPAA laws].

18. wallysurfr

wallysurfr Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I really have a problem with these local towns restricting surfers to one or two beaches. It's really dangerous. Most towns have 1-3 miles of coastline and they force surfers to all go at the same beach even when there is no one in the water! Recently, in Spring Lake, they have been forcing surfers to surf at one beach even if it's rough and there is a red flag. Bathers do not need as much room as surfers. On average a bather is in the water for what 15 minutes? Surfers are there for 1-3 and sometimes 4 hours or more! I think that the bathers should be restricted to certain beaches and there should be more beaches opened up for surfers.

In the summer of 2006, I was surfing my home break (at the time) in Sea Girt, Philladelphia Ave. with at least 45 other surfers. One break, 45 surfers. It was only a matter of time before something happened. I shouted to my friend, be careful man it's really shallow inside.... I took off backside and a grom was paddling right through the impact zone. I turned hard at the last minute but was forced to dive off my board or risk running right over this kids head. I hit the sandbar head first and broke my neck. I floated face down for about two minutes in and out of conciousness. I couldn't feel my legs or arms and finally got ahold of my limbs and literally crawled to the shore. Meanwhile, the lifeguard on duty was talking to some teeny boppers and didn't notice anything had happened not that I would have taken his assistance anyway after making everyone surf on that beach. I was so angry. Thank God that my wife (girlfriend at the time) is a chiropracter and we had x-rays within about 30 minutes and a brace for my fractured vertibrae.

I don't have any long term affects but my orthopedic surgeon told me that I am his miracle case because about 95% of his patients who have impact to the top of their heads like that are quadrapalegic. I have thought about getting a petition signed by local surfers and telling my story to get these towns to open more surfing areas in the summer. But I realize that I will just get more frustrated/angry when I go through all of that effort and nothing comes of it. Their reasoning is "the bathers make up a majority of our revenue each summer". Well, I have to buy a badge also even though I LIVE here and SURF here all year round. Why don't I or other surfers have any rights when it comes to the water?

19. skoot1200

skoot1200 Active Member

May 15, 2009
    So, do a paddle out? Honor the dead, and it would make a great opportunity to garner attention to the second class citizen treatment surfers get during tourist season. Press eat up photo ops like that. This would be our chance to unite the brother/sisterhood, & bring some media attention to the plight.