Biggest East Coast Wave

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by davincimoon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    ash Wednesday storm, hhi we did get triple over head only a few paddled out the bars were so far out i wish i could of seen it or someone local got photos.

2. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    This break has to take the cake during sandy.

3. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I've seen a break on the south side of the St. Lucie Inlet, in the northernmost reaches of Hobe Sound Wildlife Refuge, about a half mile out to sea. It is reportedly 3 -4 feet deep out there on the shoals,and I've seen it break on a good size day, just peel for like 150 yards. I've been told it is a tow in break only when it gets large, it's called Phantoms, I've never ridden it. Has anyone else heard of it or seen it or surfed it?

4. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    From a casual observer, it looks like those OCMD waves from Sandy and those huge Reef Rd days are the biggest I've witnessed.

But I'm betting that the paddle out at Ruggles was WAY easier lol

5. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    bullshyt dude that's france!!!...by the new point breaks standards lol

6. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I've snapped at least three leashes over the years getting caught by clean up sets paddling out at big reef road. Sometimes it can be a dry hair paddle out, but if a seven wave chicken little set (where you can't see the horizon even before they break) rolls in, there can be carnage.

Pumphouse is an easy paddle out during out going tide. You just jump off the jetty into the inlet and get sucked out to the bouy, then you paddle north past the peak, take a few deep breaths....a few more deep breaths... and GO! Don't hit the jetty! Once you've cleared the rocks and kick out in the inlet in deep water you get sucked back out and it's wash, rinse, repeat. If the current kicks ib from the north, or the tide switches to incoming, it can be big trouble. Then you're out there, tired, fighting to find the very small takeoff zone. Good luck. I've broken boards, not leashes out there.

7. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Sounds like fun.

8. Timatoe

Timatoe New Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Halloween 1990, Satellite Beach FL

9. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    ^^ intro tread, Freddie

10. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    As a punk rocker, it was lots of adrenaline induced pure joy. That was then. As an old punk rocker, it's fun to reminisce. Clean chest high to a couple feet OH with nice lulls (minus SUPers), now that's fun!

11. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    That's when I banged your mom on the beach, she was wearing a little red riding hood costume. It was epic.

Just joking.

Seriously, intro treadde is proppoure etikette.

12. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Next level wourdesmything and sh1t, Goode jobbe

13. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Me during hurricane Bertha in 95 at the Pit, Long Branch, NJ image.jpg

14. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Dayum, very nice bottom crank on a pretty serious wave...you're gonna give RadBrad a run for his $$$ lol.

How long is that board?

15. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Lol, same here bro. "When it's small, gimme a call".

16. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks, that board was 7'2". It was a little too big, but my only other option that day was a 6'1".

17. CaptJAQ

CaptJAQ Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2011
    You mean 1991? (The Perfect Storm)

I surfed some damn big waves at Whalebone Junction OBX from The Perfect Storm. It was somewhere between double and triple overhead. (Highway 12 was closed, we managed to squeak through the roadblock in Manteo with the help of a local girl who we talked into driving us through the roadblock.) We were trying to maintain a low profile, as they had evacuated everyone, so no pictures.

18. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Definitely 1991. Surfed Lake Worth Beach. Can't say Lake Worth Pier because it drifted out of site almost immediately. Shape wasn't great, but it was incredibly big and definitely illegal to surf (or so the guy with the badge and the gun said).

19. crindlefish

crindlefish Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2015
  20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012