Fishing threade

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    A question for my fellow boarde riding sh!t tossing fishermen. Do you use braid or mono? If you use braid, what kind and why. If you prefer mono, what kind and why? I typically use mono, I like the Yo-Zuri Hybrid line and I like Suffix. I was thinking about jumping over to the braid. Read some reviews and I was going to try the Kast King brand.

2. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks and that looks like a cool site, but I am looking for experts, that why I came here!

3. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I use braid most of the time. Power pro... I like top water fishing and it cast's much better for me... Plus I get tired of losing plugs to Bluefish.

4. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Braid bro, braid.

5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Worked in the fishing tackle business and ran charters for 10 years. I only like braid for bottom fishing and vertical jigging in deep water. Stretch is your friend.

6. raddadbrad

raddadbrad Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Ders only one line to use 20# Suffix!

7. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Shut up and fish! lol

This debate could go on all night.
    Braid is great for casting, for many reasons. Diameter, strength, resiliency...more.
    Casting mono filament for line strength of 8 lb and less. Fresh water.
    Heavy mono used for jigging, trolling, chunking... from a boat. Salt water.

8. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
  9. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    does anyone use braided with a mono leader?

15# braided w/30# mono for live bait rigs. mostly pitching the finger mullet or tiger minnows under docks for reds. if i get lazy I'll drag it on bottom for flounder.

anyone else do this?

10. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Braid on all my rods, power pro and suffix. Even tie direct to a tacticle angler snap, no leader most of the time. Salt water fish are not that smart. Been into stripers all winter and had several 50 plus fish days and not one break off. Try doing that with mono. One thing about braid that sucks, on baitcasters the backlashes are insane. Since last November I have boated well over 300 stripers and not one was a keeper, can you believe that?!!

No bait artificials only, caught ten last night in an hour and the second to last one felt like a monster on light gear. Was sure it was legal because of its girth. Laid it on the ruler and it was only 25 inches but fat as hell. **** one more to my total and not legal!

For reds I might use a flouro leader, especially in shallow clear water.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  11. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    This is the set up I use. Never had any issues with break offs. Braid at 30lb. test has the diameter of 12lb. mono. Thinner diameter, less drag and line sag. Although for leader, I prefer to use florocarbon for higher abrasion resistance and longer life. Monofilament absorbs water believe it or not, and tends to break down alot faster with extended use. Excellent set up for all types of fishing.

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    56 pound striper caught in Delaware yesterday. What a freaking hog!

[​IMG]

13. goofy footer

goofy footer Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    "Z"

10# braid & 30# leader for deep jigging, top water "smack its" and our super duper CO HO swim baits from La. they use on reds @ the rigs. I like the lighter braid, strong enough for up to 35" Rocks and gets you down to 60 feet faster and much easier to feel the bottom with 3 oz jigs. We're fish'n the Tank, Tred and off Pop Island not Del Bay or migrant routes as we like MD slot limits over DE.

14. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Damn Mitchell, that is a hog!!

Thanks for the info fellers!!

15. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yea it's the way to go. Braid then leader- although only a few feet of mono for leader. They make this camo colored mono that I like. I use to use fluorocarbon but I don't think it's worth the extra cost.

Anyway- braid all the way. It's just easier- plus it casts way better. Huge difference in distance with the right rod.
    There's many benefits

16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Weighed in where I used to work.

17. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    this thread makes me wish I knew more about fishing.

Always been envious of people with fishing knowledge.

18. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    What color braid you fellas using? I was fishing this weekend and saw quite a few guys using yellow

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yellow is faster....

20. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Ha ha, that's what I thought. I figured it's personal preference. I ordered low vis gray