Safely Taking a Beating

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

In larger surf you do what you need to do to get through. Survival mode, really.
    Anybody that criticizes you is a worthless piece of dung, not worth listening to.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Keep this in mind, scobey--I am just needling you. Just in good fun; do NOT take it seriously.
    I woulsd still have a beer with you.

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Doubtful that anyone wants to have a beer with your passive-aggressive asshat, gerbil troll.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Agreed for the most part, I'm asking to hear different opinions. I feel any time I've done it it was warranted and the right decision. Asking questions doesn't mean you don't belong out there, it's a discussion.

Agreed as well.

5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Reel, reel, reel....
    Look Ma!! I caught me a skankee!!!

6. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    We really need a thread on how to safely take a beating on the SI Forum.

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Start one.

8. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    All good Barry, Just busting your balls as well!

9. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Bingo: as predicted ^^ from the asshat.

'Just trolling' is complete BS, gerbil troll. Your soft khack routine is just that.

10. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Barry in all honesty I think that's more your bag.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Maybe,
    I'm naturally on edge due to anxiety a lot of times, the weed chills me out. I'm more tolerable and more easy going and don't have that feeling of being on the verge of exploding any minute when I have my medicine. I hate the feeling of antidepressants and believe they only make matters worse. Herb is much safer, less mind altering and more effective and it doesn't hurt that I thoroughly enjoy it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :cool:
    More than anything in the world Towelie!

12. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    DPSUP, does surfing eliminate or exacerbate that anxiety?

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Surfing alone or with a buddy helps, but a temporary feeling that wears off once I go back to reality and have life to deal with. It does extend my fuse a bit though so I'm not as quick to be snappy. When there is more than a handful of people and someone in the lineup is being a d*ck or if it's just straight up crowded than it kicks up and I get pissed quick, and I hate that because surfing should be relaxing and fun. I usually have to paddle down the beach to get away.

14. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012

Dude, that is a sign you are smoking way too much...j/k. I get that way in the line up sometimes also. I kick myself and say exactly that.... " this is supposed to be fun"!

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    LOL Well i'm way more tolerant of this behavior with some herb in my system. It's when i'm not smoking that i'm more likely to lose my cool, which is a big reason why I keep a steady dose of it in my system. I don't like being short fused. A really good session can hold me over for entire day though, the high of ripping some chest to head high waves is similar to taking a couple puffs, only problem is those conditions don't happen every day lol

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You are NOT alone in feeling that way. Regrettably, surfing has changed, and not really in a good way. Agro is in: soul surfing is out. The recent generations are NOT out there to relax, but rather, to show they are better than you. Large egos at play.
    It is nice to get a couple of hours by oneself or with a couple of friends. Still happens here in New England on work days, sometimes on weekends. I suppose that is the advantage of being retired, and, living 1 minute from the water......

BTW, the weed isn't helping you; it is only making your anxiety worse, once the effect wears off. Sorry, but that is what clinical evidence shows. And I tell you this from the vantage of a former weed smoker.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I appreciate your thoughts on this, I really do. However, I believe everybody is different though and while it may make matters worse for some, I feel it's beneficial to others, due to body chemistry and genetics. I may be wrong on this, i'm no doctor, but I can say from experience what works for me. I was prescribed Zoloft and Xanax about a 10 years ago, was on it for a while and I hated what it did to me, it changed me, and not for the better. I was becoming somebody else. I got off it and decided to self medicate and it has been so much better ever since. If I go 100% substance free, I will live, and I will be OK, but I won't be the nicest person a lot of times. My wife can attest to the difference as I have gone months with nothing before and she eventually asked me to get back to my herb lol

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Interesting. Sounds like deeper items at work there, amigo, with that short fuse asspect.

I know from whence you speak 'cause I used to have the shortest fuse known to mankind. And could back it up in spades. Not always a good combo, trust me. Can I say, oh, hello officer.

Took a long while to get to mo' bettah equilibrium: I morphed my mind into 'not much really is worth getting annoyed about.' Some things, for sure, are worth throwing down (like the ODC who parked his chairs & umbrellas in back of my rig at the-place-that-shall-not-be-named) :cool:

Maybe utilize the weed as a platform, so to speak, to get your mind into a less-anxious place.

As for crowds. I'm at the point where I just get out of the water if it's people dropping in and / or 3-4 goobers going for every wave, with the 140 lb guys on longboards back paddling and / or snaking & catching every wave early on. Otherwise, I'll get stressed out, possibly then say something, blah blah blah & it goes in a direction that will not conclude in a positive asspect.

Because you're spot-on: surfing shouldn't be about that crap.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah, i'm hard wired this way. Both my parents either have high blood pressure or hyper tension. Both are hot heads, both are life long weed smokers, both are far more tolerable when they are smoking then when they're not. Guess I was pre-programmed this way.

It's not just about that though. The other thing that I deal with is I have a hard time focusing on anything and my mind is all over the place. Take a puff and my focus zeros in on whatever it is that I need to be doing. Maybe it's ADD, ADHD, IDK, all I know is it sucks. If I take a puff, I can do my work and I get it knocked out with no distractions. Right now I'm trying my hardest just to stay on task. It's life as I know it.

20. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Balance between confidence and a healthy respect for mother ocean. Early 90's a friend had me come up for a winter swell in San Francisco. Big and drifty with good conditions. I was happy just to get through the break and then after a couple good rides just got over confident. Damn near drowned after a 3 wave hold down. Scared the crap out of me. Scraped my way onto sand and swore I was done surfing. Little by little got my nerve back but it made me a lot more careful. If you paddle into challenging conditions just take your time and sit out the back and watch whats going on. Wait for one you feel good about and then push over that lip and go for it. If it seems like too much...it is.