bodysurfing

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by souljahsky, Aug 6, 2009.

1. souljahsky

souljahsky Well-Known Member

May 28, 2006
    i like bodysurfing when it's small. these chest high waves just don't push my Yeti-ness anymore. i like to manatee it into the barrel. it's a lot better exercise without a floatation device anyway. the only question left is, to cleave, or not to cleave? only break out the cleaver when it's overhead? i think that's the answer. then again, it's always overhead bodysurfing.

2. terra-firma intolerant

terra-firma intolerant Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2008
    What are these chest-high waves of which you speak of? :confused:

3. Northbeach

Northbeach Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    have you ever seen in the surf vids in crystal clear water where dudes bodysurf beneath the surface of the water behind the face of the breaking wave... its hard to explain exactly where they're positioned on the wavebut looks super fun... I saw them doing it in the video Watermen. its a weird technique that looks like it only works out on clean overhead pointbreaks.. anyways, just wondering if anyones seen this technique or know if it has a formal name?..... wish i was bodysurfing in some endless 5ft tahitian sets... md/de SUUUCKS, (right now)

4. GreatWhiteShark

GreatWhiteShark Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Stop, you're making me hungry. mmmmmmmm

5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    i dig bodysurfing the shorey, like Waimea style.

6. InletRider

InletRider Well-Known Member

May 27, 2007
    bodysurfing heaving brielle road .enough said

7. mofosurfer.com

mofosurfer.com Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    I always keep my fins in the trunk. Even on days it's crapthere are usually some waves that you can find to body surf. And on days it's just too mushy for a good body surf, you can always break out the surf mat.

Surf mats rock. I love mine. :D

8. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Yeah since it super SUCKS for waves right now, I've been doing some fun little bodysurfing here and there. I've been doing a lot of swimming with da fins to keep my legs in check. I swim jetty to jetty then back. Gotta stay active somehow when the ocean looks so pitiful.

9. Mr.Lipton T. Bag

Mr.Lipton T. Bag Member

Jul 21, 2009
    surfin beneath the wave is super fun. i usually have some cheap swim mask on to help my vision cuz the waters in nj r hardly tahiti clear . it's cool to watch the sand rush by as you move along with the perspective of a fish . very fun when waves r crap!

10. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yeah, the dolphin glide. Its the same technique you see all of the dolphins using to surf. I have only seen one guy do it. He is an old local who bodysurfs all over sunset cliffs when its huge in the winter... I'm not sure how he does it, but it looks like after he makes his initial decent under the top of the lip is when he pulls into the wave face, but it is only for a few seconds and then he pops back out... I think that is what you are talking about... But yeah, it was on a really big, pretty slow moving reef/point break. Luscombs to be exact.