Downshift or brake in neutral

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by frothy cheese, May 31, 2016.

1. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Did a quick search and couldn't find anything on my question so here it is: for those of you who drive a car that's manual, when coming to a complete stop/slowing down, do you downshift through each gear until you come to a complete stop (such as at a light) or do you just throw it in neutral and coast/brake until stopped and then go all the way to first? It's not like I cant't drive my car, but I'm just curious to hear if you great peeps have any helpful advise to help expand the longevity of my first car. Thanks!

2. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Do one wrong - strip gears, must replace clutch

Do other wrong - replace break pads marginally earlier

Depends on context, but either work

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I personally go to neutral and use brakes. Once in a while I will downshift, but no all the time. You should also learn how to replace your own brakes, it's really not hard at all and it save a lot of money in the long run!!! Actually, learn brakes, learn how to change your oil and any other smaller maintenance jobs on your vehicle.

4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I like to downshift, HOWEVER, I recommend brake in neutral to most drivers.

In most cars you can replace the brake pads and rotors 2 or 3 times before it equals the cost of a new clutch.

5. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Pretty much this. No major advantage to compression braking unless you are driving in a spirited fashionne. To make your car last longer, change the oil and filter regularly and perform other scheduled maintnance items. Take care of small problems before they become bigger problems.

6. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    downshifting is a classy way to slow down. i miss driving a manual transmission. i took either approach...downshifting or braking in neutral. when zipping around like a maniac, you have to downshift going into turns, etc.

7. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was taught to be in the habit of downshifting, but lately I've been thinking about how in the long run I would rather replace brakes than the clutch so I'll start trying to use the clutch as little as possible. Also, oil changes are something I can and would like to do myself, but with my little truck it is hard to get under there without it being on a lift.

8. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Oh also, does anyone have input on what to leave it in while its parked and off? I was taught to just leave it in first when parked, but does it make enough of a difference to leave it in neutral instead?

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Man, I miss having a manual shift. I would always coast until I knew the next step. Light change or other cars for instance....change in momentum or abrupt stops. I liked being able to go to second or whatever needed based on my momentum on the "fly".

I never had to replace a clutch and never was afraid to use it. Always throw it in to second on the downshift into a turn so when you are coming out of it you can pop it and take off!

10. northendcanyon

northendcanyon Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I always downshift all the way down to second gear, never to first though because there's no point.

It's better because you are always in gear and have more control. You don't want to dump the clutch and make the revs jump real high, because of course that's putting strain on the motor.

Automatic transmissions downshift when you brake, they don't go into neutral.

To me it's more natural. I usually downshift around 2000 RPMs that way the rev jump isn't too big from gear to gear. If you wait until 1500 RPMs then the revs will barely jump in the next lower gear so it's not really an issue.

You're not wearing the clutch downshifting unless you are doing it completely wrong. The thing you would stress is the motor components, such as the crank bearings and connecting rods, because you are putting excessive resistance on the motor.

With modern engines downshifting properly is not going to do any damage. And it definitely reduces the wear on brake pads, although as others have said it's a lot easier to change brake pads than it is engine components.

But like I said earlier, automatics downshift constantly, they are never just hanging around in neutral, and it feels really uncomfortable to me to be floating down the road in neutral.

I drive my car like it's a race car though so you should take that into consideration. Also my engine components are overbuilt.

11. northendcanyon

Mar 21, 2013

See I would never admit I coast around turns in neutral, that's just bad driving. You should be in gear always and you should never keep the clutch pressed to the floor either. You can but that's also a bad practice and causes wear on the pilot bearing.

Ya'll do your thing though.

12. Pax

Pax New Member

May 31, 2016
    I drive a 1988 4runner that's manual, I always downshift into second gear and then clutch in and brake to stop. I have found its the best way.

13. Valhallalla

Jan 24, 2013
    It's not all that important to do your own oil changes. It's usually just as easy to have somebody else do it. When you buy four to six quarts of oil plus filter, roll around on the ground, get dirty and then have to dispose of the old oil it's hardly worth it to do it yourself when you can get it done for $20 or less. Never a bad idea to form a good relationship with an honest and reliable auto technician.

14. northendcanyon

Mar 21, 2013
    Just put her in neutral when you stop, no reason to clutch in. I can drive my car without using the clutch because I'm a boss but ya'll shouldn't even try it.

15. Valhallalla

Jan 24, 2013
    Leave it in gear when you park. Serves as back up to your parking brake.

16. BignoseLawnchair

BignoseLawnchair Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Use the brakes for slowing down. Trailer truck drivers are coached to downshift at the top of steep grades to use the engine's inertia, in tandem with brakes, to maintain a safe speed on the way down. Truck transmissions are designed to handle this work. Your sentra's is not. You can still downshift safely by double clutching and blipping the throttle to smooth the transition into the lower gear. This is fun, but unnecessary. Your brakes are the right tool for the job.

If you are interested in driving your manual transmission vehicle like a hero, start by learning about "racing line," then look into heel-and-toe technique to keep the car in the optimal power band. Here is Senna murdering it in an nsx and a pair of perfectly shined loafers:

[video=youtube;96ekbvjyr0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ekbvjyr0g[/video]

17. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    I agree with the unnatural feeling of not going in order of gears, my truck doesn't show RPMs though so i just have to look at the speedometer and listento/feel whats going on under my feet. From what I read it sounds like we drive similarly, half the time I drive it's race car style, but often I'm just cruisin' locally

18. northendcanyon

Mar 21, 2013

Bro stop acting like a pro and trying to scare people. You can downshift in your sentra and you don't need to double clutch and blip the throttle, that's not practical when you are downshifting through the gears quickly to come to a stop.

You should brake in gear until your revs get below 2000 RPM, then quickly shift to the next gear, maybe let up off the brake momentarily.

It's a dance, and not everyone is a good dancer. If you want to learn then don't be scared. If you want to be an amateur then coast in neutral and brake.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  19. northendcanyon

Mar 21, 2013

I don't actually look at my tach most of the time either so I feel you, you are just synced in with your vehicle and I suspect you are a solid driver.

Carry on, Good Sir.

20. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Definitely have that! Thankful to get hooked up by the guy my dad has gone to for years. He understands my financial abilities paired with my old little truck and does everything he can to help