Downshift or brake in neutral

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by frothy cheese, May 31, 2016.

1. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I'm talking about downshifting into a turn...not coasting into a turn.

I would definitely coast for a bit approaching a light to try to time my shift versus shifting all the way down. I probably was hard on those cars but had fun driving them!!!!

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    holy **** a northendcanyon appearance???

3. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Thanks guys! Good to hear all the different perspectives and it's a confidence boost to realize I pretty much do it all right already

4. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Yeah all four ball joints were replaced when i got it, they were beaten down so that's what I dropped the most money on. That's pretty much what I started this to ask about, if I'll need to worry about dropping more money on the clutch if I downshift or if i should start to brake in neutral, glad to get a lot of answers!

5. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I pin it to the redline, yank that ***** into gear, and dump the clutch. I only stop to pick up b*tches, but when I do it's always a sliding-parallel parking job that is all e-brake and steeze. That's right, no clutch or brake pedal necessary. It's like Kenny powers, James bond, and the transporter all got high together, that's my driving style. Fast and feverish.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  6. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Its pretty easy brakes and downshift in tandem if you hear you engine over revving you are doing it wrong your downshifting should result in a very slight revving between shifts. But after reading this turns out I'm wrong...Downshifting shouldn't be used to brake but rather to stay in the correct gear if you need to move forward........From Click and clack at car talk:

When coming to a stop, my wife uses only the clutch and brakes of her 5-speed Honda Accord and doesn't shift until she has stopped. I was taught to slow a car with a manual transmission by downshifting through the gears and then applying the brakes after shifting into second gear. My wife says that either alternative wears out parts of the car and she would just as soon wear out the brakes and not go through the hassle of downshifting. I maintain that the transmission is designed to take the strain of downshifting and that my method will result in fewer repair costs. Who's right?
    Mike

RAY: Well, Mike, on behalf of the Board Of Augmented Transmission-related Payments (BOAT-Payments), I'd like to thank you for increasing the number of clutch replacements this year, and in doing so, helping local mechanics keep current on their discretionary installment loans.

TOM: You're right that the engine and transmission really couldn't care less when you downshift, but what you don't realize is that the clutch really suffers.

RAY: So, Mike, as much as we hate to do this in so public a forum, we're going to have print right here in the newspaper that your wife seems to know more about driving than you do. We realize that your pride and reputation were both on the line when you sent in this question, and that because of our answer, you'll probably be saying a lot more "yes, dears" than you would have liked over the next twenty to thirty years, but that's the risk you take when you go public with something like this, Mike.

TOM: When approaching a red light, the first thing you should do is step on the brakes. When the engine speed drops to near idle (before it starts to buck), step on the clutch. Then put the car in Neutral and let the clutch out. If you keep your foot on the clutch pedal while coasting or waiting for the light to change, you're wearing out an important part of the clutch called the clutch release bearing.

TOM: When it's time to move again, push in the clutch, put the car in first gear, and drive away. If you're not sure when to do this, just wait for guy behind you to start blowing the horn.

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Go neutral and brake if it's a definite stop ahead of you, if somehow you don't have to end up coming to a complete stop put it in the correct gear for the RPM's / speed you're at currently, usually 2nd or 3rd gear when going back into gear at a relatively slow speed, don't gas it too hard right away, make that shift as smooth as possible to avoid a hard shift. Almost never put it into 1st if you're already moving, I usually only use 1st out of a dead stop.

8. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Thank you DP and ukelele, those replies sum up what I was looking to hear and should do slightly differently

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Anytime, seems to work and I've never blown out a clutch or burned up a transmission other than normal wear and tear over a long period of time.

10. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    This ^^^^^^^

11. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Brakes are cheap. Clutches are expensive. I slow down in gear, as long as you don't disengage at high rev, simply putting it in neutral is fine. If you need to speed back up, make sure to put it into an appropriate gear (bogging your engine is bad for a lot of parts). If I'm driving aggressively, I like to blip the throttle, but it's totally unnecessary unless you are trying to stay in optimal power band. On my bike I blip every shift, but with a sequential gearbox it just feels more natural (it also sounds pretty awesome).

12. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Dont we all wish we were better at this specific sentence?

Always good wisdomme

13. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    That's what the fock im talkin about! DO IT!

14. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    what cars have manual transmissions these days?

15. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Either really crappy ones or really expensive flashy ones I feel like.

16. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    My case...but I take pride in it

17. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    brakes are easier to do than a clutch lol.

I'm a neutral guy.u do know when in neutral u don't need to hit the clutch to brake right?

I wouldn't throw it in neutral from 5th gear,id say around 3rd gear or so doing 30mph.when u downshift ur slowing the car down without breaking,but if u downshift too early well then u know what happens.

turbocharged cars tho,to feel that boost youd go 1,2,3 rev it up high,let it fall a little,and downshift to 2nd and the boost kicks in and the car rockets off.all my friends that drive stick cant drive stick for shyt lol,i don't bother correcting them anymore.my older brother is a car guy,lives for new car parts how we live for the next swell.lucky I drove most of his cars and know how to drive lol.with a racing clutch,u let that clutch a 1/4'' off the ground itll stall out.one quick motion is all it takes..

and if ur going up a hill doing 10mph,please put it in 1st.my buddy keeps his shyt in second and the car struggles to move lol

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Well, some cars have those paddles for manual (actually, digital) shifting right behind the steering wheel.
    My Outback has them. I never used them. Too lazy.......

19. waldo-7

waldo-7 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    There really is no advantage to it as far as the life of your brakes for most drivers. If your speed racer or are driving a truck that weighs 4tons plus. Then I would say yes. All of my vehicles are 5 speeds. My dodge service truck I use for work I tend to use 4th and 3RE to slow down. Before I'm on the brakes. My RX7. I use 3rd and 2ND. Usually drive that one a little faster. My Subaru forester I just use the brakes. There are exceptions. Such as going down hill.

20. waldo-7

waldo-7 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    It also doesn't make a big difference in the life as the clutch. What will wear faster are the sincronizers inside your trans, but that's only if u down shift to fast.