Its too f%&^$ big

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Gnarly, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Gnarly

Gnarly Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Am i the only one who thinks this swells really getting huge?

2. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Moderator

May 23, 2006
    Post in the tropical thread and stay on the porch.

3. daddy_nugg123

daddy_nugg123 Active Member

Mar 2, 2009
    no your not. if this sticks out this willbe some of the biggest waves in all 9 years i have lived here thats for sure...

16 seconds???? is anywere gonna be rideable???? Ive got a few spots in bayhead and squan in my head!!!

4. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Yo its gonna be nuts. . . double to triple overhead is it possible? Its gonna be INSANE

5. kook95

kook95 Active Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Wrightsville Beach hits 10.8 @ 17 seconds on Sunday at 4am. Did they update the forecast twice this evening? Going by past experience it seems like we should start seeing swell a little earlier though, like late Thursday or early Friday.

6. xgen70

xgen70 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    It will change between now and then. i just hope we get something clean. I would be happy with a solid chest to head high, that over head to 1-3 over would be enough for some to stay safe. Lot of water moving around at that period.

7. Gnarly

Gnarly Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    yeah ill be be happy with 1-3 foot over head clean

8. brandx

brandx Well-Known Member

May 6, 2008
    this is gonna be fun - finally some waves

9. wik

wik Active Member

Apr 26, 2007
    settle

It won't be triple anything. Just settle down and time the sets. It may be closing out but you'll get some looks. enjoy

10. mexsurfer

mexsurfer Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    i want stand up barrels, who wants to go to big monmouth and get towed (me)

11. dredg2

dredg2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2007
    I think the forecast will change towards end of week, it changed from waist to chest high this morning to double over head on Sat when I checked again this evening.

I havent seen this type of report in jersey in a long time let alone in August! haha.

1-3 overhead with offshore winds that are 5-10kts..you just have to go out and get a couple regardless of the tiring conditions with all the water moving. The current will def be in full force though.

Let's hope it stay this way.

12. chrisd

chrisd Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    this could get really interesting.

13. JaYbLaZeE

JaYbLaZeE Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Yes indeed. Im eager to see how this forecast is going to turn out later on in the week.

14. chadbrochill93

chadbrochill93 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    uhhh

can anyone explain to me exactly what the period means for the forecast. all ive ever done is just look at the summary and see what the wave height is and wether or not its gonna be clean or chop

thanks

15. C.Brook

C.Brook Member

May 12, 2009
    yea you guys should all stay at your home breaks in va md delaware no need to come down south during this swell itll be too big ,enjoy your home breaks last swell was retarted on pea island

16. mostchillin

mostchillin Active Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Let's see... Someone is already planning to tow in Monmouth... I'm going in search of the next "slab" in SC somewhere... Who said anything about it being too big??? No time and no brain cells doesn't equal any positive...

17. surfswell

surfswell Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Period is distance between waves. july 24th i saw pics of wedge and there were rips looking like hurricanes because of the long period swell. Im kinda ****ting my pants and really excited too but thepaddle out is not gona be fun and i hope OC is breaking{ non close outs} cause i dont like shore break spots.

18. Mancora

Mancora Active Member

Sep 23, 2008
    wow

Let's see who is who inside these barrels.REMEBER BIG IS BETTER.

19. LVl<E

LVl<E Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    yo bullshnops. one if the reports right no one around here will be surfing bc the way the waves break around here you wont be able to paddle out bc youll just be paddling right into the waves and not around them. two waves any bigger than overhead just close out here. also this swells 5 to 6 days away and if this hurricane comes its either going to hit us or bare east and go very far away giving us a nice head high swell so dont worry bout it just chill and wait for report to get more definate.

20. LVl<E

LVl<E Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    yo bullshnops. one if the reports right no one around here will be surfing bc the way the waves break around here you wont be able to paddle out bc youll just be paddling right into the waves and not around them. two waves any bigger than overhead just close out here. also this swells 5 to 6 days away and if this hurricane comes its either going to hit us or bare east and go very far away giving us a nice head high swell so dont worry bout it just chill and wait for report to get more definate.