Surf Truck Acquisition

Discussion in 'USA Mainland Surf Forum' started by MrMacdugal, Jul 8, 2016.

1. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Of course Ive always thought a FORD FLEX would be a great modern surf wagon. The roof is very WIDE. Wide enough to put two stacks side by side. The Flex is also big, like really big with a 117.9″ wheelbase. That means the ability to seat 7 adults in comfort and still have some room left over for luggage. With the third row seats up you’ll be treated to 20 cu. ft. of cargo space. Fold them down and that bumps to 43.2 cu. ft. Drop down the second row seats and you’ll now end up with a whopping 83.2 cu. ft. of room. All of that and still you can double stack boards on the roof! Oh and the DUB market is huge for these things if your into that.... LOL.

ford flex.jpg

2. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Personally I like the Pickup truck for surfing. Easiest way to get the board o the beach - and no worries with the wet wetsuite and gear on the way back... It all just gets thrown in the back. Don't even have to strap the board in- if your going local...

3. waldo-7

waldo-7 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    IMAG0169.jpg
    My work truck. I recently acquired a 99 Subaru forester with a blown timing belt for 300. Had to put valves in it but she's on the road now. It's a lot easier than hoisting a road up on to the roof rack of the truck. Way easier to park, and my 7.5' super fish fits inside. Subies are great cars but doing the timing belt and water pump at 100K is a must unless u want to put a motor in it. I lucked out with this one. I expected to find a cracked piston or scored cylinder when I opened up the motor.

4. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I have the 2-seater mommy van. Took out the middle seats. Everything fits.

5. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    I got a Subie Impreza. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the Outback straight up, but I lose so much money on the trade in that I'm just going to stick with the Impreza. Managed to tank through the snow without too much trouble last winter, although it was mild my northeast standards from what I understand.

My shortboarts fit inside no problem, but if it's longer than 8' it has to go on the roof.

6. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    A Dodge Caravan is a nice surf mobile, but I'm not quite ready to surrender my man card just yet.

7. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Well when I know its a longboard only day I take this.

mini car.jpg

But when Im not sure what the day is gonna bring I bring this one....

bettlebug.jpg

8. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    A Subaru is not in any way manly, unless you are a woman. From Vermont, or boulder, or Oregon, or Seattle. Real men drive mommy vans!

9. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    2010 Mazda CX-7

Enough room for everything and good mileage. I like.

13606568_10209794062031895_99448041775576297_n.jpg

10. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    Sorry but in New England where the weather is a nightmare especially in the winter, a subaru is one of the best CARS to have in the winter especially.

11. 2FUN

2FUN Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    I will also say this, if you are looking for a beater that is good on gas, very convinient and comfortable, has a ton of room and can have seats put in and out at will depending on how many people or how much gear you have a honda odessey is really tough to beat. Also, the motors are virtually bullet proof and last for ever!! In my young kid days that thing could lug 8 with plenty of room to boot plenty of roof space, and I could lay all the seats down and fit 15 boards of sheet rock in the back. It was a kick ass vehicle even though it was an MV....

12. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Just sayin', to mommy van is not surrendering your man card. If anything, big noisy pickups can be a sign of some compromising wimps trying to compensate for man inadequacies, and a Subaru is the gayest image out there.you started it!

13. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    This is proof.take a listen to the woman is a man, the man is a woman commercials. No wonder the younguns are confused!

14. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I agree. And it firmly establishes the driver as a kook before they paddle out - much more efficient.

15. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    Whelp, when I first arrived in RI I rented a Dodge Caravan for 2 weeks, with the captain chairs and what not. I also rented one in Kauai where they are essentially ubiquitous with Mustang convertibles. They truly are awesome surf rides...just a ton of room inside, practical, relatively good gas mileage, and frankly, easy to drive.

But...dude, they're minivans...I mean, c'mon man!