Its too f%&^$ big

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Gnarly, Aug 17, 2009.

1. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Anyone know what surfline is calling for on sunday?

2. A-FRaME-GaINES

A-FRaME-GaINES Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    Md-Delaware Forecast
    FAIR-GOOD
    SURF: 5-7 ft. - head high to 2 ft. overhead and fair-good conditions
    SE/ESE swell from Bill continues; swell begins to fade in PM

3. BCA

BCA Member

May 20, 2009
    Well said Hanaebu. What's the point of unprovoked, anonymous trash talking on a surfing forum? Weird.

4. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I agree and I'm not very familiar with internet forums, but I thought a surfing forum wouldn't have much BS. I guess surfing means different things to different people. It shouldn't involve douchebaggery though, in my personal opinion. :(

5. shupat08

shupat08 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Well said Stoney, BCA and Hanaebu.... can anyone throw a poor college grad a bone and let me know what surfline is calling for NJ on sat and sun? Thanks.

6. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    why surfline and not swellinfo???

7. shupat08

shupat08 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Just wanna see what both say to compare. I didn't think that'd be a problem. Personally, I use Swellinfo 99% of the time. But for a hurricane swell like this, I'd just like to compare both.

8. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    their definitely going on the conservative side... which is not necessarily a bad thing... but the swell projections are much bigger than that...

As I've been saying... The question is not going to be if there is going to be really big swells, but how the local breaks will handle it...

Mavericks in california may go 40ft, but there are breaks next to it that are just overhead on the same swell.

9. Hanaebu

Hanaebu Active Member

May 25, 2009
    Thanks guys. I'm just of the mindset that we're all out there to have fun. The one thing that I love about surfing is meeting people in the lineup and making friends to paddle out with. Since we're all part of a larger "family", so to speak, we should be looking out for one another not dogging each other...regardless of skill level. Maybe it's an old school way of thinking but it makes sense to me.

Those who trash others need to remember that there is always someone better than them and we're all beginners compared to someone else.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Another thing to keep in mind when choosing your break sunday is that ground swell with large periods has the ability to wrap around bends in the coastline. ;)

11. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Well put .

12. Yamaha racer 686

Yamaha racer 686 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    so im driving 5 hours one way from school to get to somewhere in jersey Sunday to catch some of this ridiculous overhead stuff . rather not get stuck at a closeout location. i must say i haven't surfed much in jersey except for atlantic city and manasquan.

do you think the squan inlet will hold this? especially if it stays double to triple overhead?

not looking for your secret locations just somewhere that might hold the swell.

if it stays triple overhead and clean (only way im doing 10 hours of driving is if its glassy) i will try and paddle out if i think i can make it out there. especially if there are other people out as well.

good luck guys.

ps. get to try the new 6'8x20x2.25 if it holds up. with 5.5" nose rocker, 3" tail rocker, single concave into a v in the tail. i think the board will handle this swell just fine. me on the other hand...

13. endlessummer89

endlessummer89 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2007
    WOOOOOOO I remember sitting on the beach when I was 12 watching the bombs from Fabian roll through and being all mad that my parents would not let me paddle out ( A good thing :D)

Ever since then I have been waiting for a swell like this, just bought a new leash for my 6'8 pintail can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!

14. StuckinVA

StuckinVA Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I remember Fabian. That was a fun swell. If the current forecast holds, Fabian won't hold a candle to this monster.

Getting updates that there have been two rescues already today in Avon. Let er rip!

15. NORCAL TRANSPLANT

NORCAL TRANSPLANT New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Keep ur FISH in the tank

Coming from OB SF, anything under a 6'6" is simply not going to work. Its all about speed, and ur micro east coast skate chip is just what it is...useless. Double overhead is my limit for beachbreak, been in bigger, but know ur limits. 6' foot leash will snap. If were lucky ther will be peaks, if not, huge walls of oppression. DO NOT ditch ur board around other people, nothing wrong with ditching in big surf, just as long as ur stick does not become a weapon to others. If you see someone loose their board, do the right thing and make sure they make it to the beach.

16. timNB

timNB New Member

Aug 19, 2009
    board

what kind of board do you think you need for these waves??

17. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    if it truly is triple OH, you'll need some size. He is right about the fish type boards too. if that's all you have, you're better off staying on the beach.

18. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Yeah, I have only 1 board that will handle something that size. If it breaks i'm screwed. :confused:

19. endlessummer89

endlessummer89 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I have two boards ready, a 6'8 pintail, its pretty thin too, not sure of the thickness but something around 2 1/2. The second board I have is a chemistry 6'4 "40 oz" which is a pretty thick board. I am 5'6 145 pounds so these boards should do me fine. Depending on your size you should want something around a foot taller than your standard shortboard (5'8 for me) and if it's a pintail, even better!

O by the way, has anybody heard any garbage about the coast guard being on the beaches this weekend in nj not letting anybody paddle out???

20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I would recommend 6'6 to 6'10 with a good amount of rocker. If you go out there with your run of the mill shortboard, you wont be able to generate enough speed.You essentially will be swallowed by the wave, Oh and I second Norcal Transplants suggestion of using a bigger leash (8ft).:cool: