First Trip

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by frothy cheese, Jun 1, 2016.

1. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Then I'm screwed! Jk that and some average surfbortin skills are all I got

2. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Im going to check the jetty but i the pizza i ate last night is keeping me trapped on the toilet reading this thread

3. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014

o barry

4. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Bought the tickets last night and have been swimming a lot this summer. Also, I definitely plan on buying a board out there now after doing my homework on it

5. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    When are you going?

6. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    september 9-17

7. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Never seem to hear much about Hawaii during the fall, usually just summer and winter.

Anybody with experience chime in?

8. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Yeah that's kinda what I figured. Weird how the most consistent place in the world goes a little dormant while the entire mainland starts cooking.

Fvck I love fall.

9. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    So would yo be as kind as to share some knowledge on where somebody looking for this rich experience would commonly have to drive to/around to find better sized waves this time of year? Ive been hearing more skepticism about there being any waves lately than I have about how to prepare for decent waves. Thanks for the help guys

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010

Dude no worries about getting waves in Hawaii in the fall- I have been there numerous time in the fall and have always scored some fun waves... Sure it wasn't 12ft or anything...but a good 5 to 8ft (they call it 3-4) which is fine by me- cause it's less crowded then cause they consider this small... If your expectations are riding big waves- probably not going to happen- but if your ok with chest to head hi- you'll have fun!

I have gone in the fall in the past due to cheap air fare- like 550 range from Belmar- round trip non stop flight.

I don't recall a time that I went where it was completely flat- sure the north shore will be flat, but there was still waves on the south shore. Some days where waist hi - but the waves breaks well so even being small it's still fun.

I didn't read the whole threade- but it sounds like your going to Ohau? Generally the north shore will be flat- but there might be a small swell that will show up there- you just gotta check the reports. Mostly the waves will be on the south shore. I personally like the ala moana area- near the harbour. If it's flat everywhere- there is usually always a wave at diamond head- just get there early before the wind does. If you end up getting a huge swell on the north shore and it's too big- head around to the west side of the island and it will be manageable... The island is not to hard to figure out --- but you'll need a car.

As far as boards- I would suggest bringing your own since you could spend the first few days looking for a board and waste time... If your only there a week... And bring a board with slightly more foam/ beef (if you generally ride a toothpick) as the waves break different over there. And be careful of the reef if you never surfed reef- just try not to touch it with your feet

11. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    If you have any specific questions - feel free to PM me... I don't check on here regularly

12. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Try not to touch it with your face either

13. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    Hey Frothy,
    September should be fun because you'll be getting south swells, and might even see some north swells come in during that time period. I honestly can't remember when the north shore starts to get waves, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get something while you're there.

You'll want to do what so many others have said and drive to where the surf is on a given day. Some of my recommended spots:

North Shore: Laniakea/Hultins, Ehukai Beach Park/Gas Chambers, Kammies/Monster Mush (?) (that spot between Rocky Point and Kammies). It will all depend on your comfort level and the size of the surf.

West Side: Tracks, Ma'ili Point. Don't tell anyone, but the west side breaks on south swells. It also breaks on north swells. So there is a good chance there will be something over there. The downside is that the breaks on that side tend to have a lot of locals on them, they tend to be less user-friendly with sharp reef, and frankly I don't know where most of the breaks on that side even are. Tracks gets super crowded, and I only surfed it a handful of times, but even with the crowds I was able to get some waves. It's also one of the easiest set ups on the island, and especially on that side. Worth a look.

Ma'ili is a lot more difficult and dangerous. You can really get messed up out there if you don't pay attention. There can be a lot of current, and there is some seriously shallow-to-dry reef in front of the main peak. So, really watch your line ups. But if you get it good, the waves there can be hella long. Worth checking, but take some time and watch how folks line up, surf, and get in/out, and definitely don't get lured too far south of the peak or you're gonna wind up on that dry reef very sad.

South Shore: Barbers Point (Kalaeloa) can be good and fun, but is usually crowded as hell. There are some alternate breaks from the main beach if you look around some. The only spot I surfed in town was a spot called Fours, and it was crowded but fun. Diamond Head almost always has surf, but can get kind of blown out by the tradewinds. Still, if you're out that way it's worth checking.

Windward side: It's hard to find good waves on the windward side. There is a break or two right by the Kualoa Ranch; you'll see the cars parked on the side of the road where the break is. I've also seen a wave somewhere along the drive towards the North Shore in one of the beach parks near the Hukilau(?)..not sure exactly which one or how to spell it anymore. Frankly, if you're going to surf tradewind swell, I'd just head to Diamond Head.

14. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    there is nothing nowhere ever

15. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    first coat yourself in poke from the supermarket, and wear a buncha shiney jewelry and wristwatches and paddle out as far as you can and it may be worth it

16. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Thank you very much Mr. Belmar and Toonces for the help! Stank, will do.

My current plan for boards is to check out UsedSurfboards when I get there and grab something that will suit me for what the week looks to bring. Anybody suggest something/somewhere different or have a great advantage to bringing boards that I'm missing?

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Bring a Ouiji board...

18. Speed Bump

Speed Bump Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Don't go to HI in September just to get waves, go to get laid.

Unless there is a ridiculously out-of-season NW running--there won't be 'cuz it's a La Nina year--just stay in Wakky and plow hawt touristas.

Drink, party, and chase skirt in Wakky as soon as the sun goes down. Set your watch an hour before sunrise before you get s-faced. When you wake up in some chick's hotel or hostel bed, if she hasn't stolen your watch, and if you've still got both kidneys, go hit dawnie at one of the town breaks. Moana if you can get down there. Come in when it gets crowded, sleep, then paddle back out for evening glass.

Repeat.

Take a break and go explore away from town if a real swell comes in.

19. Toonces

Apr 25, 2016
    When toonces drinks beer and then posts on the forums, toonces talks too much.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  20. Mr.Belmar

Aug 19, 2010
    If your only going for one week and want to maximize your water time- I would suggest to bring a board. Since you could spend a whole day or two looking for a used board- unless you not picky and don't care about cost. That's is my experience... If your going longer then a week... Then I guess it doesn't matter.

Make sure to look up the surf shops in the area prior to leaving- So you have a game plan. Surf and sea on the north shore used to have the largest selection of boards- but they where mainly new as I remember not used.

Maybe another idea if checking craigslist in Hawaii a week before you go- finding a board you like and already contacting the person and set up a time to check it out so you dont waste time