Where to go without Zika this winter?

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by mookieo2, Aug 14, 2016.

1. mookieo2

mookieo2 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    With Zika supposedly pretty bad in PR, most of the Caribbean and Mexico anyone have any places to go surf and bring the family this winter that's not too expensive. I would hit Sri Lanka but not going to bring a 1 and a half year old baby on a 20hr flight.

2. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Hawaii. Oh too expensive.
    Costa, Panama, Peru, Ecudaor.

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I hear rio is nice

If you are really ready to surf some real waves in warm water- book a flight to Belmar.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Central America AND equatorial South America both have zika as well.
    Here is one for you--France!! or Portugal. or both.

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Concur with Barry: Europe. USD is about $1.10 to the Euro, so it's not a 30% shot to the financial nutsack like it was in the years prior to Brexit. Great food, vino, kultchah, 8 hr flight to Paris, bring wetsuits, booties, gloves depending on time of year. Good waves all around Hossegor region; if it's huge, 45 mins to Hendaye.

Sideways note, when I got off the plane in LIR a few weeks ago there's a large sign in the airport just prior to Customs: Zika! Next to it is the no trafficking in children sign that's been there for years. Point being, there's gonna be something wherever you go.

CR, and Asia, have had dengue for years.

If you're gonna go to CR, perhaps go during dry season. Fewer mozzies. I was there during rainy season this year & got bit a grand total of twice. It wasn't like the mozzies are on a rampage. DEET up, bro.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. BlackSurfer

BlackSurfer Member

Nov 24, 2014
  7. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    lol worried about zika and not chickengunya or dengue... fkn rookie. fk dengue though sucks man. you know most people that get these infections have no symptoms.

8. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    Thanks Barry, wasn't aware of Zika in those areas.
    France!!!! Yesssss!!!! Best surf trip I ever had. If I had the money and the refugee situation wasn't what it is I'd move there in a heart beat.
    Lots of wide open spaces, empty A Frames for miles. If it gets too big for the beachies, plenty of reef breaks in the South that will go off, and not more than a couple hour drive from as far North as Lacanau. Great food, wine, culture. If you need a break from the beach, the Pirines Mountains are a 3 hour drive from Hossegor. And Gay Paris is a 5 hour train ride from Biarritz. Fly into Borduex. You'll be on the coast in 20 minutes. You can rent a camper van and park almost anywhere at the beach, or stay at a campground. There are many right at the beach that offer trailer home rentals for $30 a day.

9. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    yo mom's house.

10. waldo-7

waldo-7 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2015
    i was in costa back in march they had sines about it at all the hotels. warning of mosquitos

11. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    No Zika, Not Cheap, But damn Cool!
    12:37 Howz that form? Fukin A!
    [video=youtube;uxnvI47HBhg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxnvI47HBhg&index=120&list=WL&spfreload=10#t=781.956794[/video]

12. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    If you really are that worried about infectious diseases then all tropical locales are out. Go to Cali.

13. mookieo2

May 10, 2013
    Well even though Belmar is pretty close to me I'm not good enough to handle the 23 footers there.

I'm going to Kerry Ireland next summer to stay with some friends.

I'll check out the pricing for France but I'll probably stay way from Europe for a bit. Might just end up going snowboarding in Utah and Wyoming.

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    So, this looks like it was a waste of Yee Elde Forume brain cells. Snowboarting in Wyoming....?

Be sure to get back in touch with us in re medicale advise.

15. archy 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    I know what you mean with the baby 'n all.
    Talked to my cousin in Italy recently, and refugees don't seem to be that big o deal except for major cities, and border areas.
    If you fly into Bordeux and stick to the coast, I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Never been to Ireland, but I'm sure it's equally impressive.
    Either way cheers, good luck, stoked for ya!

16. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015

Don't be that guy with a 1 Y/o on a plane. Do camping and such.
    Far away from everyone else...
    Obx can get heavier than most places I've seen. Which isn't much, but still. You get what I'm saying.
    You can get a mansion for 100/day in the winter. Me and my college mates used to do do that.
    Great times. Hit the food store up before you get there.

17. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Or SD.
    It's beautiful every time of the year.

18. mookieo2

May 10, 2013
    I hear ya. When we went to Tahiti there was a baby screaming for 15 hrs on the flight. (Who brings a baby to Tahiti)

19. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    **** you Mookie I get bit all night Long by mosquitoes I probably had West Nile virus 10 times over seriously. The damn Sketo's down here like a little birds. Who the **** takes trips to Wyoming to go snowboarding you need to kill yourself and be reborn a Hindu and get banged by the shredding machine.