NJ Lifeguards

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123, Aug 25, 2016.

1. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    I guarded in the lavalette/Normandy area.

When it was good it was surfers water 1000% swimming area....whereever. plus I wanted to surf there as well!

We never enforced things just to enforce but many guards don't have that luxury.

2. Lbibass

Lbibass New Member

Aug 28, 2016

Well, I personally think that lifeguards are necessary. However, once, I personally had to preform a rescue cause the lifeguards weren't paying attention. Soooo, it really depends on the day. If there is big surf, then yes. If the waves are flat, then probably not IMO.

3. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    well put it this way after next week there will be no more lifeguards.and u can surf at any spot of ur picking

4. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    barry when the surf is large enough to require a yellow flag, for starters. once it gets to 3 feet rips are much worse than normal. That's when the waves start to get "good." They move surfers when nobody is even in the water!

5. rhode island sale

rhode island sale Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2014
    They actually restrict people from swimming in 3 foot waves? God the east coast is a joke. How are people even supposed to use their boogie board they bought. Most tourists only ride white water so you need some size. The ocean has waves. Go lifeguard a lake if you can't handle rescuing people in 3 foot waves. Oh and even if they restrict people to waist deep water, most waist high waves are breaking in waist deep water at most breaks in nj. Many are very shallow breaks, thus why the waves are so hollow. So the swimmers would still be in the way even if restricted to waist deep.

Btw- There's huge areas of black ball flags all along the surfing capital of america in southern california. From san diego to LA. If they restricted swimmers from 3 foot waves, they'd never allow swimming the entire summer! People simply surf in the morning or the evening or go to areas that aren't flagged off. There's WAY more surfers there than here. Quite a simple solution. Easier than complaining on a surf forum board, which accomplishes absolutely nothing.

You're not dawn patrolling at pipe or contemplating mavs on a 30 foot swell. You're riding NJ in summer waves. This is comical. Be a big boy and set your alarm clock for the morning and then you can surf outside the "surf flags"! Or drive more than 2 miles outside your town. It's not a big deal. Plenty of people driver over an hour to the beach. There's also all kinds of areas unguarded in LBI from what I've heard from others.

I've seen people in RI getting into with lifeguards over close out garbage beach breaks all the while the point was firing. Go figure.

6. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    The lifeguards at Second Beach were earning their pay today.

There were two girls about 20 yards down from me swimming. I hear the guard whistling so I look around and see these two girls in this massive rip right over. I see the guard taking off his shirt to go after them, and they're swimming like crazy straight at the beach, but not moving. I paddle over to them and start yelling them, "Hey, swim towards me! You're in a rip!" And so they do, but meanwhile the guard is starting to work his way over. So I hung around until the guard showed up, and he kind of monitored them as they swam out of the rip and closer into shore. We weren't far out.

But those guards were doing that all day long. They weren't swimming everyone in, thank goodness, but they were definitely spending a lot of time in the water because the rips were just silly today.

7. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    A man drowned at Assateague Island, MD today. Swimming outside of a guarded area.

8. rickward

rickward Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I rarely post here because it's usually nonsense (no disrespect meant to the regulars, because I enjoy the banter). However, guards are absolutely necessary at any beach with a substantial non-regular population (ie, all the beaches in jerz). The guards at our local beach are among the best. Visitors don't know the power of the ocean, so they need guidance and supervision. I could tell 20 stories of kids and rips or parents going in after kids in rips and getting in trouble.

BTW, I'm not, nor have ever been, a guard.

Ironically, some of the most dangerous beaches are unguarded: because you aren't supposed to swim there under any circumstances.

Anyway, don't hate on the guards. They are the best water(wo)men out there. If you hate your local guards, maybe you should get to know some of them.

Anyway... "The more you know!!!" and back to the usual nonsense...

9. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Consider your sh!t thrown in the water

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Good. More food for us....
    Lifeguards are a waste of money from tax dollars. Swimming should be "at you own risk".
    At a Cabo San Lucas Hotel, at my arrival a pounding shore break, 10-12 foot waves were pounding right ON THE SAND, then sucking out. Not even the best of surfers could have survived that pounding, right on to "dry" sand. Every time a wave hit the sand, everything around you rattled.
    The hotel had no lifeguards. What they did have was a sign every 20 feet that read, "You swim, you die".
    Not one person in the water, even with a full hotel.

Tax dollars should not be used to stop morons from going in. Survival of the fittest.
    The USA is wayyyy too overpopulated anyways.

11. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    There is always gonna be dem morans tryin to swim in rip cuz they swim in the lake back home

12. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    And i think we need lifeguards btw just thought that maybe they should be guarding not watching their ipads and smart phones in the tower is all im sayin

13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Any lifegaurd caught on a personal phone or ipad while on duty ought to be fired on the spot.

14. 4ocean60

4ocean60 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    NJ Life

Yes NJ needs life guards because they get those dump a$$ from New York who can't swim.

15. Nosediving expert

Nosediving expert Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Brigantine has a horrible rock jetty sign set up. Where im at they are not even lined up close to where the rock jetty is. Its a small speed limit sized sign, facing perpendicular to the shoreline. Meaning you cant see it if you are in the lineup. They are barely noticible when you are on the beach. Ill bring it up at the next meeting.

16. NARNAR70

NARNAR70 Member

Oct 19, 2016
    Yo if they're hot and bump while they chill and "watch" the water who even cares bro