Surfer loses two limbs in shark attack after being warned not to go into water...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    A 6-foot hole in the anti-shark safety nets guarding the beach at Boucan Canot on Reunion Island prompted officials to raise the red flag Saturday, but that didn’t stop a dozen or so surfers from entering the water.

“That same morning the nets were inspected a 2-meter hole was found, so they closed the beach,” South African surfer Davy Stolk told Zigzag, a surfing magazine in South Africa. “But the swell was big so the guys still hit the water while the waves were breaking over the nets.”

Officials were obviously worried about a possible shark attack, and those worst fears were realized when a 21-year-old student from nearby Etang Sale was bitten twice by a 10-foot bull shark, according to Surfing Life and local news outlet LINFO.Re.

Laurent Chardard lost an arm and a foot in the shark attack that occurred around 5 p.m. local time on the island east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean.

Full article:

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/surfer-...tack-warned-not-go-water/#2A3elGI5pD4Ag6EY.97

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Damn, 10 foot Bull...

3. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
  4. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Is this one of those"I told you so" moments?

5. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Pretty much. How many of us would have paddled out anyways? Not at your local break, but Reunion Island.

6. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    that sux the lifeguard sustained some serious injuries in the process. Sounds like he was beastin it on the jetski. Surfer was probably rocking a burkini too. le bastard!

7. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    When I saw the thread title I figured it must've happened at Pawleys Island seeing how it's so sharky there.

But yeah, I'd probably think twice aboot paddling out at Reunion after such a warning.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Paulie's Island... I thought that was in Galveston TX?

9. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Don't know how anyone still surfs Reunion. I would never be comfortable in the water there, even though it gets epic. You are basically sitting at the all you can eat buffet.
    When they have contests they line the break with spearfishermen just in case.

10. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I don't know , big clean or big sloppy?
    But a two metere hole and warnings from net keeping officials, I'll watch; bring towels.

11. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    no thats in sc, viva la south.

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    It's was joke, you know, our boy IBC aka SurfinPaulie

13. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Thats a big NO. I wouldnt be going in the water anywhere that has defective shark nets. Pauly's Island or reunion island. Shark nets are only installed because they are needed to keep people alive.

14. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    thought he was from texas lol.

15. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Betty Wouldn't Go

16. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Fu*k that... There is no way I'd be able to paddle out and try to block that out of my head. They got balls to surf there. Sucks he had to pay such a heavy toll.

17. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    its amazing how dangerous it is to surf there. I wonder why that island has so many sharks? Isnt it a law that you aren't allowed to surf anywhere there now?

18. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    There are so many sharks there because it has been atoll set up it's got long calm water right before you hit the reef and all the sharks are at the reef where it drops off, so it's easy pickings for all the fish to hang around the reef and surfers.

19. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Don't think I'd surf there even with nets intact. Those stats are scary. I like my limbs attached.

20. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Classic!