NE recap

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by DonQ, Sep 8, 2016.

1. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    The last two and a half years here has been interesting and frustrating to say the least. In short, we are surf deprived. In my short time in MA maybe 3 solid swells have come and gone.
    Countless striped bass have been caught, two car accidents (not of my doing)1 new car with 20,000+ miles of commuter driving since last august. 108 inches of snow in 2015. Winter is Sept thru June. Summer is July thru August when ocean water temps hit a balmy 60degrees. I don't mind the cold water, but a 3/2 in August? And a 3/4 and boots in September? Definitley a different breed up here and I give you guys big creds for it. When it gets BIG, there are spots that rival any place on the globe. Trust me on that.
    Rubbed elbows with some celebs in the bars and knocked back many Green Heads. (Thanks Newburyport brewery)as they say" salt of the earth". Keep on keepin on, boyz.
    Lobsta, scallops, steamers, mussels, cod, haddock all done right.(New England has the best seafood) I will miss a lot of it. The surf and lack of it I will not.
    I feel very fortunate to have experienced New England and it's people and have made some life long friends here. All in all, New Englanders are a tough breed but they will always have your back.
    Their toughness is not a front.
    It's an endurance thang.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I've heard it said that living in New England isn't so much about endurance as it is having a lack of imagination. Butt those were NYer's flapping their gums.

Great post by DQ, worthy of induction.

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Interesting- would always welcome hearing more about the surf up there... Specially some of the points and reefs and such... I would be day dreaming about that while dropping into a Belmar bomb with a sand bottom and a few jetties...

4. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Don Q this past winter was all time and super consistent.

Great post.

5. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Not going to blow up spots here out of respect but maybe we can discuss it over a good pizza one day. K?

6. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    It can be inconsistent, n I dunno where you're at...but where else can you live 15-30 min from a spot affordably (that is, in a 2+ bedroom house with a yard, etc)

For my $ I gots it made, specially since last winter there was no winter, just swellllz nov-jan and 40* air temp

7. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hear Hear Don Q!

New England 4 lyfe! Where you moving to homie?

This past winter is what's getting me through my loss of watre time since la bambina.

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

And how, pray tell, is the bambina doing?? Well and healthy and beautiful, I hope!!

My grandbambina is doing well and is as beautiful as her mom and grand mom!! Biased opinion, of course!!
    But all are happy in the Cuda mansion!!

9. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    It only gets tougher young buck but you'll get your water time. Hope the little one is doing great and your teaching her all the good stuff.

Reluctantly, my wife and I are headed back to the land of enchantment. "Christies Corner" I'm almost embarrassed to admit that but its home.
    New England will always be a little slice of heaven to me. I can see why most don't leave.
    I'll be back!

10. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I was just going to say, what are you getting at? Hittin da road?!

11. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    You talkin bout Dirty Jerz when you say Christie's Corner?

12. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Most people around here retire and go south. I want to retire and go north.

13. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm glad to hear o Pa Pa! Ours is doing great, almost 4 months, holding her head up, talking/cooing a bunch, teething, very alert.

Having some issues with the in-laws but they could #eatmyfuk.

Don Q you always have a friend in Southern NE.

LBCrew, colony in Nova Scotia???

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

I already did that.
    Don't.
    It sucks.

15. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    I can relate DonQ, best to you. As a Florida boy who somehow ended up in New England for the past 16 years I sometimes wonder wtf? Never in my wildest of wild dreams did I ever imagine I'd climb over a bank of snow to get to the surf and then surf in 38 degree water, but oh the places we go. I will say though, thank god for wetsuit tech, and the NE coastline is the ****. Within an hours drive I can access 4 point breaks, 3 river mouths, 10 reef breaks, and countless coves and beachies. When it is on, it's so on. But we all suffer consistency here on the EC, it's our lot, but we never take a good day for granted.

Best.

16. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Been a New Englander for 20 years and still not sure how that came to be. Most of my family is in SoCal. When I visit them they shake their heads at me and ask WHY?? I tell them they are spoiled punks with their consistent waves. They consider Encinitas in January cold water surfing. I do love it here and am proud of the area I live in and the scene here. Some of these kids rip out on the water and don't get nearly the attention the Cali kids get. I don't mind the cold, am surrounded by points,reefs, and beach breaks. Most importantly my little girl is here so I am here, when she gets to college age and if she decides to head to warmer climes I may consider packing it up, but man, this place gets in your blood.

17. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Fkn A Manik, Fkn A.

Imo, no better feeling than cruising to the beach in fall, knowing there's swell, and watching the foliage light up in dappled morning sunlight.

18. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Hell yeah bro, you said it perfect...

19. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Thanks guys, it's something that most will never come to know.
    I embrased it and love it and it will always be in thoughts.
    Hold down the fort while I'm gone!

20. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Allow me to repeat myself.
    New England sucks for surfing.