Rick's Surf Shop Closing

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Slashdog, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    For all the NY/LI guys, I just found out Rick's in East Islip is closing. Apparently they've gotta close the shop due to the owners illness ... bummer.

They're having a solid sale that ends Saturday- go grab some steeply discounted gear (50%) or a board (-$100).

Wish I could get out there myself but I'm swamped with work and flying out Saturday.

Any of you guys frequent the place? It's been around longer than I've been alive... I think my first skateboard came from there.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    What a shame and loss for the owner. Guess no one wanted to buy it...

3. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Yea man. It's just a few towns over from me. Headed down last week to check the sale out.

That shop was so cool. For those that don't know, it's a house basically. I remember going there as a kid, they had that little hall way type thing with a blue blanket deal hanging there. Like being in a barrel. I thought that was so cool.

Rick was a cool guy to. He used to frequent the spots I surf regularly. He was always a pleasure to be around. He said that surfing is what kept him alive. Unfortunately he couldn't live forever. But surfing is what kept him going. I think his brother or maybe son or something took the shop over after he passed. I'm not sure but I went in there one day and he was behind the counter. I see him in the water all the time. But after seeing him in Ricks I realized he kinda looks like Rick. So I'm just assuming they are related some how.

It's sad to see the place close shop. Firstly because of the atmosphere there. It's hard to put my finger on it, but that place just had something about it. Just didn't have that stuck up vibe you get in most shops. And secondly, because even though Rick passed, his shop still was around. He still lived on through that shop. Sad to see it go for sure

4. Slashdog

May 22, 2012
    I hear you man. It sucks to lose a family-operated, family-vibe type of place. Interesting building (and big lawn) in a classic LI town, that place definitely has a special 'no-bullsh*t' Suffolk County kind of cool.

Not much left of that, in these days of unaffordable homes, corporate bullsh*t, and chain stores.

Did they have anything sweet?

5. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Ricks was awesome. I haven't been there in a while but but went a bunch when I was young... like Bass said always a cool vibe in the shop
    Sad to hear

6. mookieo2

mookieo2 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    I used to hang out there all the time when I was younger. It used to be an old funeral parlor. My friend worked there for a while and we would go surf with Rick after the shop closed. He was a good guy. His brother took it over after he passed away. Definitely a piece of long island surf history that will be missed.

7. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Sad indeed amigos. I bought my first stick from Rick. Cool, chill dude. Can't believe he's been gone for years now. Sad to see the local surf culture changing to all online drone footage. There's no more heart left in the shops.

8. Slashdog

May 22, 2012
    Maybe true, I don't know since I don't follow local footage on Insta/etc. But I do know that people have a different attitude out there than on the west end... for better (line up vibes) and worse (roided brosephs at demos)

9. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Ricks had the normal stuff when I checked out the sale. I only wear rip curl suits so that's what I was looking for, didn't have my size. Lots of cloths for cheap.

As for the vibe. Bunger...I hate that place so much. Funny thing is my dad grew up across the street when he was just making boards in the garage. But now that the kids run things, it's diffrent. I always feel like I'm being talked down to when I'm in there. One time I walked in, grabbed a leash for the LB. 9ft knee leash. Dude goes you know this is a knee leash right? Duuuuh it's a 9ft leash, clearly for a LB. It's just the attitude. Like what are you assuming I can't get to the nose/cross step?

Nature shapes I like allot. That's my shop. Mike's a good guy. But even that place has a vibe to it. If I walk in and it's just Mike, it's cool. But when some of the other employees are there it's very diffrent.

Then there was Ricks. Walk in and you feel welcomed and right at home instantly.

10. Slashdog

May 22, 2012
    Bunger Babylon, or Sayville? I've had good experiences in Sayville... Babylon, not so much.

Never been to NS but I've always had him on my shortlist for ordering a custom.

11. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Babylon. I live like a minute and a half walk from there.

NS is awesome. Really cool guy and gets into customs. When I go in there and start discussing a custom, he gets all excited. I have nothing but good things to say about the experience getting a custom there.

12. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Haven't been to Nature in a while. Mike is a really cool guy.... I need to get back out there