Cuba

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by notaseal, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Notaseal

Notaseal Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  2. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    might do it, scoring a board may be hard so might wanna bring one

3. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    That would be an interesting surf trip, wonder if there is any kind of local scene out there.... don't know what Castro's policy's were on surfing, probably scared if you owned a board you might paddle to florida on it

4. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
  5. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I read an interesting article about Cuba in Surfermag or something... stand by I'll try to find it

6. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
  7. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah , you guys are just looking for something to chat about huh?

8. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

I didn't learn of his passing until this morning. I am surprised I didn't hear the gunfire and the rattling of pots and pans emanating up from Hialeah and Calle Ocho last night.

9. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    thats fked up.

10. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    sick article, definitely potential but gonna be roughing it to do it, or posting up in a government sponsered resort

11. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    dude, the way you travel, just brush up on your Espanol and you could jump your way from hostel to hostel.

OTOH, Cuba is not exactly the dank 3rd World Banana Republic as portrayed by American media. In many ways it is, but the thing we tend to overlook is that many people from all over the world (particularly Canada) have continued to visit Cuba as a destination resort after the American embargo to this day.

Heck, it's even possible that traveling surfers from around the globe have kept many secrets. Hell, look at the place. Gotta be the biggest swell magnet in the Gulf and Atlantic.

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No. North side of Cuba is shielded by Bahamas. That means sh1t for waves.
    South side is Mar Caribe....more sh1t for waves.

13. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    yup,they don't have much of a swell window,puerto rico is better.

cuba looks cool from a distance,but not a place id like to go.i remember a while back they had a show on discovery channel "Cuban chrome" or some shyt.it was a car show.they aren't allowed to import stuff from America so that's why they have all those old cars and they'll put a fukin lawnmower engine in them complete nigrigs lol.fukd up how they living,finding an oil filter is like finding bigfoot and when they do get the part,they sell it like it was a kilo of meth,very expensive

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    all this new tourism Obama wants for cuba doesn't help the actual people living there.now big corps like hardrock,etc will be opening resorts and make billions and not giving a dime to the people.so if anybody does go,shop local lol

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

There are no shops. It is a communist state. No need to work. Just collect your $2 a month......and be grateful....or else!!

16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    As recently as two months ago there were makeshift boats washing up on Hatteras Island from people trying to flee that ****hole of a country. Hopefully with their monster dictator dead the lives of these people will improve.

17. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Well, except for the jobs that tourism brings.

18. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Oh, you mean like the exact same way it was before Castro lol?

"Cuban chrome" = duct tape

19. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012

We'll see. I read in today's paper that 65% of the budget is going to the military, so there is a huge investment in keeping things the way they are to some extent.

20. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Who knows? Maybe relations will normalize to a point where we'll return Gitmo back to them, much like we did with our large strategic naval bases in Japan and the Philippines. Maybe that was Obama's end game to begin with.

I just don't see their lives improving much at all. They really aren't any better off than they were under the Batista regime, other than their freedom to access things that the rest of the world has. On the plus side, they have full free health care and education. Although I don't see a Cuban college education being competitive with the rest of the world, I get a feeling that it will be highly prized in certain parts of Florida...even over Ivy League schools.

I just don't see American involvement changing their historically Banana Republic. We will probably just exploit them again like we did before.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016