This is your bort on drugs . . . . repair advise

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Agabinet, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Poor Evo. Totaled at a rocky beach. Lucky it wasn't my head. I am about to begin repairs. The three bashes on the bottom and two on the rails aren't so bad, but before I start the nose, just wondering if the repair gurus have any advise. Board is a Firewire Tomo Evo, so its XTR, and I will use Q Cell and epoxy resins . . .but for that big nose rip (like Nicholson's nose in Chinatown) -- any words from the experts? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    take it to a shaper if it was a fin box ok ive done those but im not fking with that lol

3. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Thanks for the link, Im familiar with that thread and not totally new to repairs . . . just with that huge rip in the nose. . . . I think I have to slice all that ripped glass off and do a proper patch, wondering if any of the veterans out there had specific suggestions for a patch like that. TIA

4. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
  5. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    . LOL My local shop quoted me a price that would make Roy Stewart proud. I am going DIY on this . . . I figure, as long as its water tight, most of the Evo nose is missing any way!

6. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
  7. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    thats fked how much did they want?

8. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    For the whole shebang -- three on the bottom, two on the rail and the nose . . . $675.

I like my local shop. Owner is a friend. But its like how I got into fixing my own motorcycles. Shop wanted $2500 to tear down the motor and replace big end bearings. I figured . . . I can do that. Took eight months . . . but I learned a lot on the way.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

675$!!!!!!! You can buy a new board for that much money!!!

10. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    True dat, which is why I am going the DIY route . . . Also when I finish the bort I am going to put armor plate all around it. THem dang reefs will think twice about tangling with old ironsides.

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Looks nasty...

How does the rocker look in the nose? If you cut away all of the loose glass, is the rocker still there?

12. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Yeah, the rocker is still there.

13. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    I think the recipe is to cut off the bad glass, keep the existing foam in place, use Q Cell to fill in the gaps and then two layers of glass and resin.

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ^^^That's pretty much the prescription. If there's a floppy chunk of foam in there, glue it back into place with good old Elmer's white glue. You can also use lightweight spackling compound... Dap Fast N Final... to fill in surface scratches and small voids, but if they're too deep, go with filler and epoxy.

15. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    IMG_1335.jpg IMG_1334.JPG

Thanks to LB Crew for advise, it took a long time but I declare my Evo repairt. Lotsa epoxy was spilt, lotsa qcell was snorted, lotsa sandpaper was consumed. 7 rail dings, three bottom dings, and a complete nose job.

16. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

All of that and you are not even a plastic surgeon!!! Yet......

17. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Killer job dude. That's a solid repair. I've gotten into the habit of enjoying my DIY repairs. I get better and better every single time.

18. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    20151008_145424_2.jpg
    this was a rescue for a buddy ,it was a total pos 20151211_123855_2.jpg it had been burned ,shot with bbs,eaten by rats but i did what i could

19. Agabinet

May 3, 2012
    Wow, that is an amazing job. Board looks awesome.