What would you do?

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by Bruce Springsuite, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Bruce Springsuite

Bruce Springsuite Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    If you were 22 and just graduated college with ~2 thousand in debt what would you do?

I live on the gulf and I would like to live somewhere where I can surf more.

Everything I do I would have to pay for, I don't have rich parents.

Would you try to build a career or move to where the surf is first?

DO you recommend any locations?

I am not a full kook but I don't shred.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Figure out if there is a market for what you do in your desired spots. You can pay off $2k by busting your ass waiting tables and surfing while looking for a job too. Pay them off ASAP. You're poor right now but you're used to being poor so its no big deal.

Consider your family if you move across the country or something. It's good to have support and a network. This is also the time for your grand adventure so don't base your decision on fam either.

Give more information if you want more specific answers too. degree, job desired, ideal locations. Cmon man, boring day at the office for me.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Short answer, do it now or you'll regret it. I wish I had moved here years ago. It happened the way it was supposed to happen for me, but man what a difference a year of consistent surf can do for your surfing. The past 6 months - year have been life changing for me.... do it!

4. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    $2K might seem like a lot of $$$ now, but its really not much at all son.

What's more important to you *right now*, at this exact moment in time? Surfing, or a career?

If you don't have any obligations (wife, kids) then one could pursue their own pleasure whilst peripherally keeping an eye open for career opportunities. There are a few things to consider:

1) Moving is expensive.
    2) No matter what your degree or experience, most people don't find their career niche until they hit 30-ish.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you're "all in" and don't do it half a$$ed.

No regrats

5. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Move to a surf spot and look for a job from there. The truth is you probably could have done that without going to college. The best thing I ever did was uproot myself and move back to the beach. Everyone asked what I was gonna do to make a living once I got there. I answered I'll figure it out. In the end I figured it out. Keep in mind I didn't move to a surf mecca and there was a tourist economy that I was able to capitalize on.

6. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    Clemson,

I have only surfed Jacksonville and the panhandle. I am asking for more general ideas and locations because I have not been anywhere.

Currently don't have a desired job.

Single and no kids

I have been working nonstop since high school. I know 2k is not bad so I plan on paying that off first. I currently work for a company that cleans condos and manages vacation properties. I do the inspections. Pay is decent for where I am. I could easily move up in this company because it is smaller and I work hard.

Sometimes I consider becoming a property manager and then relocating to a place with condos and better surf.

I made some poor decisions in choosing my degree but I don't feel like explaining it.

7. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    Are you on the west coast now? I have not been on here much lately.

8. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    Well, I am asking you guys for life advise so I guess that makes me a kook.

9. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    Yea, Sometimes I feel like college was a waste of time. At least I have a degree. Where I am is mostly a tourism economy so it probably be similar at most surf locations.

10. PA_KOOK

PA_KOOK Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2016
    I think you should make the move to New Jersey, specifically Belmar.

11. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    I cant bench enough to get in that lineup

12. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    ppl either work to live or live to work. i'm the former. pick a spot - obviously coastal given you're asking a surfing forum. plenty of places down FL's eastside coastline, then do F&B or hospitality - double shifts for about half a year. you'll get to know the area, some ppls doing so whom you work with, and able to pay off that 2gs. you should have a connect or an idea from there of what's a good job in the area to go full time

13. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Your current skill set will easily land you employment at just about any place of your choosing. I was in property management before I landed a different career path, and it's not a bad gig, so you're on the right path.

So, it's just a matter of picking where you think you'd like to live and surf.

It's probably not prudent to point out exact spots for you to consider, but I've never really been the PC type anyways. Being from California originally, most kids opt for Hawaii. With you being on the Gulf, you could consider the Outer Banks, especially with your experience in the vacation/hospitality end. Anywhere on the Florida Atlantic coast would surely be a surfing upgrade, no?

Just be prepared to "rock bottom" your lifestyle for a short while until your job is up and running...then off you go.

14. Panhandler

Panhandler Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Words of wisdom. I didn't do college, started my career early, and didn't have shiit for about 7 or 8 years. I got to move a bunch and grew my experience, and then a family. Now I make a sufficient salary, especially given our area. Theres a couple kids that work in my restaurant that are in a similar boat. I keep telling them, move. Your have the freedom of youth and being single. Pick a spot that interests you, bust your a$$, things will fall in line, eventually. Shoot for experience (both career and life), eventually the $ will come. You've seen how schiitty this winter has been, nothing like last year. Get out and enjoy your youth. Like DP said, you'll regrat it if you don't

15. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    First off, Bruce... I wish I was you.

I got to the beach the long, hard, tedious, painful way.

You are younger than my kids.

1) For God's sake, Keep Little Bruce in his Springsuite! Nothing will change your life more than surprise kids.

2) Don't get married, or even get involved long term. Nothing will mess up your plans quicker than a significant other.

3) Move to where you want to be when you only have to watch out for yourself. (Watch out for Yerslef; he's a peckerhead.)

4) As another wise head on here said, "Work to live."

I'm not bitter. I'm just old and have hind sight!

Good luck and God Speed!

The Screwbster

16. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    ^^^This.

Regards,

- The SwellInfo Team

17. Obeyville

Obeyville Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Pay off your debt, open 3 credit cards. Move to SD, surf in the mornings and find a job in the afternoons

18. Bruce Springsuite

Aug 13, 2015
    Yea, it has been flat. I see a lot of my friends getting stuck here with kids and **** jobs. thanks for the wisdomme

19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I think the SwellInfo Team is taking applications.

20. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Yup. I was able to do my property management stuff and surf at the same time, it was awesome. Sometimes I'd be surfing in Cardiff or O'side while they thought I was fixing plumbing lol. Surfing and getting paid, can't beat it.