Rincon PR: January 11-18

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Slystick, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Slystick

Slystick Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Hello,

From heavy lurking throughout the past 2 years I know a lot of you have been to puerto rico. Heading to Rincon Jan 11-18. Will be with 1 other experienced surfer and 1 intermediate. The forecast is predicting well overhead at most breaks (7-10ft) throughout our stay. What are some breaks that would be considerably smaller say stomach-chest and appropriate to bring the intermediate surfer? We have a car and are willing to drive. We will be staying just off sandy beach.

Thanks in advance

2. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Crashboats might be doable. Sandy Beach is pretty tame too. Beyond that everywhere I've surfed there would be a bit heavy for the inexperienced if its big.

3. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Southermost spot in Rincon that might be what your looking for is Little Malibu, but it's shallow n sharp.
    You can try your luck with the crowds at Crash Boats or in town (Aguadilla) at Bridges or School Yards.
    Other than that your **** outta luck unless you take a ride to the south side of the island where it'll mostly be wind chop.

4. pclark844

pclark844 New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Try Marias, It will still have a lot of size but if you stick to the left towards the pistons the waves with be weaker and more manageable for intermediate surfers.

5. wik

wik Active Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Maria's. it'll be solid, but can be pretty user friendly. If your intermediate friend is uncomfortable over chest high, hand him a video camera.. or a boogie board. Have fun.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    With it being a North swell you're gonna want to be south of the point like Archy said, but it's gonna be big regardless, they might just need to sack up and paddle out at Maria's and hope for the best, when in Rome.

7. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Your inexperienced friend will love the coral.

8. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Since when is 6-10ft for (advanced surfers)???

9. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    This is what i was thinking. Guess everybody has there own definitions

10. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    When it's 6'-10' Hawaiian

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Idk 6-10 Maria's or otherwise is no joke. Not Mavericks or anything but that's not small.

12. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Not saying it's small. But in my mind an intermediate should be able to handle it.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Handle it sure, but there are consequences if not careful. Especially at a crowded break with lots of talent. Not to mention the waves, current, reef, etc.

14. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    That could be said about literally any wave. ALL of my surf related injuries have come in the smaller waves. I hear what your saying and not disagreeing. But you've surfed it right? Do you consider yourself advanced or intermediate?

I get butterflies every time it's over 6ft. When it gets big you get more careful. Doesn't mean you shouldnt push yourself. Obviously if he doesn't feel comfortable in his ability he shouldn't go. And obviously every one has a diffrent definition of advanced and intermediate. But i feel most people would agree that an intermediate should be able to handle themselves in those conditions.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Yeah I agree with you that it could be said of any wave that size, but it's different down there if coming from East Coast and if it's your first time in PR. I just suggest being cautious if that's bigger than your regular comfort zone, but go for it if you're confident. People have died there at that size, just sayin.

I have surfed there many times, a few of that size, Im intermediate I'd say, especially back then. But, by no means did I dominate or destroy that wave at that size, was picky which ones I took and managed to survive. I ended up in the ER my last trip down though. Severely dislocated shoulder. Sh*t happens. Only injury there in 4 trips, so 25% failure rate lol

16. BassMon2

Jan 27, 2015
    Thats exactly what I'm saying. Iv never surfed there at that size. But iv been out in that size stuff while traveling to breaks iv never been. The fact that i feel comfortable at home in 6-8ft during winter when it's 0 degrees out gives me the confidence to push myself and get out there. Play it cautiously and be picky. Never expected to dominate or destroy.

Just to clarify. I don't think an intermediate should be able to surf a 10 foot wave like it's nothing. I just think that it should be close enough to what they have surfed that they can push themselves and handle it, wisely.

I think we're on the same page here

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Right on, agreed.

18. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I've had two near death experiences in Puerto Rico. Nearly drowned on a 2 wave hold down on a big day at Wilderness. I'd call that day 15 foot faces. The second was a hard bounce off the bottom at Middles in hollow 8-10 foot conditions. Lucky I didn't break my back or worse. Landed in a sitting position on the reef, stung my spine and knocked the wind out of me severely while underwater. There is a whole nother level of power there and its not a very forgiving place when you screw up. Also had some of the best rides of my life down there.

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Dude, it's scary when I think of how close I probably was to drowning. Getting back in with one arm while the other is hanging by a thread and just getting rag dolled over and over again was a b*tch and took patience, lots of heart, and the will to survive. No BS, I thought it might be my last wave when I was pinned to the bottom and couldn't come up for air.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Holy shlt really? I consider 6 to 10 foot advanced, even wind swell. If it has any long period to it it's friggin huge.