And then there were two.

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by CJsurf, Jan 14, 2017.

1. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    My winter project has been rebuilding a Skil 100 I got via a Florida yardsale. Paid next to nothing for the planer. This is my second Skil 100. Combined I paid $30 for them. ;) The first one came from an estate auction and was pristine when I got it. This second one obviously had very little use but was in rough shape from neglect. It was also missing its dust chute, blades and blade clamps for the cutter. I scored a complete cutter head with blades along with a Turbo Chute from a new friend in Hawaii. Then I ordered a set of bearings and brushes, belt and a stand off so I can make a new 25 foot power cord. Planer should be good for another 20 years. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    I keep dreaming that one of these is going to pop up at a local yard sale, and the seller isn't going to have a clue about what he's got.

3. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    My father is retired and in his retirement his hobby is auctions and yard sales. He knows what to look for even though he doesn't surf. He has hit vintage surf gold for me on a number of occasions.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
  5. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Here are two of my other recent finds that I'm working on.

Vintage Jim Phillips log.

[​IMG]

And then there is this beauty.......pictured first exactly as we found it among a pile of junk at an estate sale.

[​IMG]

Then after a bit of clean up. I'll put it this way.......I could sell the fin for more than I paid for this board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SloFlo

SloFlo Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    :cool:

7. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    how much for that steal?

8. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    That's very nice work.

9. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Find an original first generation 13" gold colored Fins Unlimited fin in mint condition......if you can.......and divide at least by 2. Perhaps even 3.

[​IMG]

10. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Nice work on the Skil rehab... especially the shoe modification. Clean, and well done. A few of my friends had their old Skils powder coated. Not me... I like the old worn look.

Funky chute... not too big and bulky for you? I fabricated mine out of some sheet aluminum, making it as small as possible, without clogging.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  11. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    That is the Turbo Chute. It harnesses the exhaust air to blow the dust away from the motor. It is big but it weighs nothing (Its fiberglass) and is much better than being tethered to a vacuum hose.

12. red dog

Mar 6, 2015
    I meant how much was the board at the estate sale!

13. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The answer is in the post. I'll put it another way. A little less than a smaller reproduction first generation Fins Unlimited fin.

14. red dog

Mar 6, 2015
    I know I'm half retarded but my horrible math and research skills have computed you got that for a song, NIIICCCEEEE!

15. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Nice find on the Con

16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Had some good weather and got around to making a board for one very stoked grom. First board with the new rebuilt planer. Couple of finishing touches yet to do on it but is close to done.

[​IMG]

17. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Best thread we have had in months. This is turning into a swaylocks kind of read. Finally something interesting among wetsuite threads

18. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The grom likes Red White and Blue boards. This one will be the step up to his small wave board.

[​IMG]

19. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    +1. Amazing board.

Edit - wrong post. Was talking about the Con.