Zip free

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    What's up fockers!?!? Okay, so I am thinking about getting a Rip Curl Flashbomb 3/2 zip free, thoughts?? I thought there was some discussion on here before about it, but I am to lazy to go look. AND if I was the one who started the old discussion, let's just pretend I didn't and start fresh. Okay, go!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    They look really warm/ new patterns

warmth.jpg

3. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Hey man, Rip Curl is at the top of their game!!

4. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Oh Neil or Diet Coke aka in non southern English O'Neill or die kook.

5. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Talking about southern, I Just spent the weekend enjoying some 73 degree weather in NC

6. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    From my point of view there is nothing good that is "zip free". Zip free line ups are no fun, zip free and wetsuits are no good, and most all this forum when zip free sucks. Following that logic this thread rules!

7. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Yea i got no experience with zip free. But why is the question. Back zips were annoying. Long zipper leash. Harder to zip. Less comfortable in my opinion. Chest zip corrected all those issues. I can't think of any problem with a chest zip. So why go zip free? Seems like it would stretch out over time. And since i can't see the benefit I'd stick with chest zip. What's the price difference between chest zip and zip free?

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Idk I still have 2 back zip 3/2s....

9. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    It much difference between chest and free, besides taking out the zip. I'm willing to try the 3/2, but I wouldn't go any thicker. Right now I have a 3/2 Dawn Patrol back zip and I really don't have any problems with it, but I feel like I need something else. Ha Ha. So, in other words, I have some money to play with.

10. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    flash bombs are the balls!

11. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010

My first proper winter wetsuit was a rip curl zipfree 6m back around 2005. Assuming it's the same design, which it probably is, the zip free is pretty good but not all that different than a chest zip. The suit is a little harder to get in and out of especially until the shoulders break in but it's really not all that different

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I wouldn't get the zip-free. I have a rip curl E-Bomb chest zip that is the lightest, stretchiest 3/2 I've ever worn. The zipper is very lightweight and the entry system is great. Overall its killer...better than the xcel and matuse 3/2s I've owned.

I've owned zip-free suites in the past - think i had one of these at one point
    and my experience has always been they feel great for the first season while they are super stretchy, by the second season the entry gets kind of played and leaky.

About Rip Curls...seems to me in a 3/2 the Flash Bomb just costs extra $$ for something you don't need. Its just an E-Bomb with the quick dry lining added to make it feel dry on the inside sooner. It's a 3/2...it dries in a couple hours anyway.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  13. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Thats why i go ebomb on a 3/2... flash bomb in my 5/4

14. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks fellers! I'll check out the ebomb chest zip.

15. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    never even heard of zip free,how do u even put it on and close it lol?

I still got a 4.3 backzip,things like 6yrs old,still mint.had a little tear last year in the glue between the kneepad thing and the neoprene.fixed it up,still good.use it til late December,gets a little water on the back of the neck but so what!!

got a chest zip 6/5/4.its a ***** to get in and out of but it does keep u dry.

16. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Cep, it's like a chest zip, but the zipper is permanently closed. You pull it open where the normal flap would be, slide in, then pull the neck over. I think I'm gonna take Mitchell's advice and go with the ebomb chest zip.

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Good decision.

18. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Thank you sir! I have a Dawn Patrol 3/2 now and I really don't have any issues with it, but I want something better. I also gotz some loot I can play with.

19. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Same here, it's my back up suite now but it's still in good shape.

20. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    All my suites are in excellent condition, as well as my boots and gloves. AND I can say, I do not have the boot stank that so many people have. I am extremely anal about rinsing and cleaning my suites.