1. The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123

The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2013
    So who here owns or rides a motorcycle, or used to own one but they got rid of it and have a good story to tell? And have you rode it yet at Teahupoo like Vin Diesel in the new XXX movie?

2. baddarryl1968

baddarryl1968 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Grew up riding the sand tracks of Boca/Delray in the 80's on a 78 YZ 80. Hit a car real hard in front of Boca Academy on an RM 125. Rode back and forth to work in Atlanta on a Benelli 650 with little to no brakes. Got rid of my last RM 250 in about 01 when I broke 6 ribs and a collar bone on it. Also Cooper Webb's dad has shaped a number of boards for me. Endless stories.

3. Braap

Braap Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    I went pro at 15, went broke at 17 with three pro am national titles. In 250A and open Pro did well until I got hurt and realized i wasn't enjoying something I loved anymore. Still ride a harley a few times a week and ride at the track once in a while when the mood strikes and its fun.

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Owned several bikes when young, and a couple until recently.....Triumph Bonnevile 1970, last year they were made in Meriden, England. Also owned a 1969 BSA Lightning. Also up until few years ago a Triumph Thunderbird 1996 model. Got hit head on by an elderly lady who turned in front of me; was lucky.....I flew over her car, bounced on her trunk, and on to the pavement. Dusted myself off, and walked away. My bike was destroyed. One final thing---On inspecting my helmet, there was a 1/4 inch deep slash in it. it was from her car antenna. That would have been a slash in my skull into my brain. Ride a bike? Wear a helmet!!
    My first bike was an Allstate Compact, 65 cc similar to a Vespa, made by Pugh for Sears. Bought it to deliver the San Juan Star newspaper in PR, which I did for about 4 years or so. I was 13 when I bought it with my paper route savings.

5. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Dual Sport for life!!!!!

6. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Rode motoX from grade school until high school, when I discovered surfing. Haven't looked back since, although I've rode several times since then.

Started riding bigger bikes during the custom Harley craze. I still love to ride, but sold my bikes a few years ago due to my displeasure with the motoring public while riding in a big city (1,000,000+ population). The level of ignorance and douchebaggery of the non-biking public was enough to make me start carrying ball bearings in my jacket pocket. When I realized that somebody was going to get killed, I took a break.

Thought about riding again after I relocated, but it rains so goddam much around here, I haven't been able to justify it...yet.

Here's a custom Softail that I did a lot of improvements to:

[​IMG]

When the Softail became a pain in my arse, I got a Bagger and dialed the fark out of it:

[​IMG]

I like fixin' stuff up and making 'em purty.

7. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Currently ride a '16 BMW S1000RR. The guy at the shop told me it was a good starter bike.

I actually started riding as a teenager 30 years ago in FL on a beaten up old Honda 250. Amazing that I lived through that bike. Started riding sport bikes in college (ZX7-R, CBR 900RR) and eventually started using them both as commuters and on track.

Got older and had a few dollars, so recently a Triumph Daytona 675R, which was traded for a Panigale 899, then (after riding one at California Superbike School) bought the 1000RR. Have been down but nothing too serious, knock on wood. Currently commute from Rockaway to NYC on the RR and occasionally do track days. Wait, what were we talking about? Eh, no matter, rubber side down!

8. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Used to ride BMX, does that count?

9. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    moto + surfing = not a good combo

10. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    iv ridden quads a lot,never owned one just riding my friends in the woods.i tried to ride a dirtbike once,long ago.sad part was,it was a kid dirtbike lol,and it was automatic lol.long story short I almost killed myself on the thing,accidently accelerating over a stump.havnt been on one ever since,

it seems like bikes are something u grow up into,like ur dad does motorcross and ur riding at 5 and by the time ur 18 u could do wheelies on a riceburner.i did bmx,skated,surf.motorcross just never clicked for me,its a lot of fun,if I wasn't terrified id do it lol

11. The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123

The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Good stuff guys. I currently ride a 2014 Yamaha FZ09. Ill probably payoff this one then purchase a cruiser. Something along the lines of a HD Lowrider, Fatbob, or Breakout. Having a moto def helps the days go by during long summer flat spells.

12. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Why not?

13. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Aren't motorcycles for faegs?

14. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have owned a few, all small bikes, like Honda trail bikes etc. I love small motorcycles, even mini bikes. Never had an interest in a big road bike but after a near death experience on a small one I could see why you would want one. After that understeer on a road curve at 50 mph I lost my nerve to ride road bikes and other than little hops around I haven't ridden since. The Honda Grom does tempt me though.

15. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Rode Yamaha Mini Enduros when I was a kid. We used to try to get the cops to chase us on the Aqueduct near where I lived in NYS. Had beat-up Kawasaki 500 with no mufflers in collitch. Rode that thing through the student union one day, just because. Long before the movies & tv did it.

Somewhere in my 20's, went & rented a Wing from a place in Alameda. Headed over the Golden Gate up to Marin, then back over & souf on the PCH. No helmet, just magic tee shirt, Levi's & boots. Who needed a helmet - - when you're young, you just know you'll live forever :rolleyes:

Destination was a place in the mountains near San Diego, where a guy I knew had acres of camo netting over his weed plants hidden amongst the almond trees, a trophy blonde stunner wife & unreal custom Porsche import rides in the garage of his mountain mansion. We took those cars out at 3am & drove the hell out of them on those canyon roads.

Nice pics of those beauties, Keed

16. baddarryl1968

baddarryl1968 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Are you Jamie?

17. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I ride. Have for most of my life. In the last few years, only street bikes, but I started on dirtbikes and rode those for years. At this point I take a few trips per year with my dad, and commute on a bike in the summer and that's pretty much it. I still enjoy it, just don't make the time for it.

Took a fun one last year down the Blue Ridge Parkway into NC for my dads 70th. Nice roads, good weather, met some cool people, it was a lot of fun. Even stumbled on some twisties

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;t6fqiD1DLaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6fqiD1DLaA[/video]

18. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Gracias Yanqui.

Dude, your story sounds like a scene straight outta Boogie Nights lol. Or some Eagles or Seger tune. Funny thing is, so many other people have lived it too...it's uncanny.

19. ukelelesurf

ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Because he's a kook....apparantly he's never been to indo

surfmoto.jpg

Going to do a one month Royal Enfield trip in the himalayas in India this summer. Also have done vietnam and Cambodia on a dual sport....motorcycles click the same endorphins as surfing and music do for me////ymmv

20. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks! wish more surf vids would be of the same nature.

used to ride a monster 695 a few years back... the city is a sketchy place for a bike though. 2 accidents, hit an oil patch on a left turn at night once, and got cut off by a cab the second, twice broken collar bone...same collarbone. sold the bike, thinking i've been given 2 warnings. loved it though, it was my baby.