kelly SLAUGHTER

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by cepriano, Feb 23, 2017.

1. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    lmao wow so apparently theres this trending thing,kelly slater called for a daily culling of sharks on reunion island.everyones losing their shyt but they really don't know sh1t about the place.

I'm all for saving those guys,but reunion island is a whole different story.first off its overpopulated with sharks,the sharks have like 2 spots on the entire island where they can score some dead fish,its a given u go in the water u will be attacked if theres no shark watchers.

its no joke there,been following that island for the past 10yrs or so,its no joke.i watched one special a few years ago about some up and coming surf prodigy from the island.kid surfed everyday had his sharkwatchers bla bla.at the end of the show he went out alone and got killed.

so whats everyones opinion,is Kelly slaughter a fookin douche ,do u hate him now lol,or do u think he is correct?

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Reunion would be better off it they culled surfer population.
    And so would every surf beach in the world.
    Cull surfers. They are morons anyways........

3. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    There's a difference between eating fish for consumption and killing hundreds of sharks just because of a good break! I don't see sharks sneaking onto land and eating us! We're addicted to salt and you should be smart about what salt is dangerous! A great white WILL kill on cape cod, just a matter of time! They won't dare go after all those sharks that multiply by the year! The odds are ridiculous that you'll never even encounter one! I Was surfing 200'from a 15 footer eating a seal on coastguard beach 2013! Total fkn rush! If a booger goes down they'll close the beach not go after the shark that's just being a shark!

4. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Seems weird to kill the sharks. How self centered to think surfers are entitled to surf there unharmed because the wave is primo. Rather than kill the sharks, go find somewhere else to surf.

On another note, what is causing the explosion of shark population there?

5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    10/10 cep

i say cull. feed babies on reunion the shark teet milk in bottles. soon the population will have shark dna in their cultural assemblage. then we form a corporation to harvest the youngest children's meat as a hybrid meat/fish. we can eat the young tender shark children and surf without worry.

paging archy

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    we must eat the children before age three for the best taste.

7. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    One Japanese fishing boat could fish those suckers into extinction within one week

8. northendcanyon

northendcanyon Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    The only reason anyone feels safe on land is because humans have killed most of the monsters.

There were real monsters that lived on this earth with humans. There were periods of our ancestor's lives where we were prey items for giant blood thirsty monsters, and I'm talking modern man within the last several hundred thousand years. There were giant birds, both land-bound and flying, that definitely ate humans. All of the mammals today are dwarfed compared to the animals that roamed even 10,000 years ago in North America before the great extinction that took place.

We are monster killers. And frankly, sharks are monsters. There are some species that are less monstrous than others, but many are blood thirsty monsters. If they lived on land humans would have wiped them out.

Consider the situation in Reunion Island and try to understand what the people that live there are facing. They're monsters, friends. And we are monster killers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    with all due respect, is Slater the king of reunion now?...I don't see what business he has in telling them what to do. I've done no research on the island, but I'm guessing they're chumming up the water or something to cause such problems. We've surfed with visible sharks in both the gulf and atlantic...and who knows what monsters I've been near in the dark waters of the pacific. They never bothered us.

10. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't think he was trying to be king of reunion. He's giving his opinion and even said I'm no scientist, it's just one mans opinion..
    there is obviously an issue there and it's most likely man made... but there is still a problem. It's tough to say what the answer is, but I couldn't suf there.

11. northendcanyon

Mar 21, 2013
    How long have you been alive? It's rhetorical, my point is not that long (in a geologic or evolutionary frame of reference).

Humans have been systematically wiping sharks out on the east cost of the USA for hundreds of years. Until a few decades ago, fisherman would kill any shark they caught.

The shark populations have been, for most of our lives, decimated. We have no idea how the historic populations were, and people did not leisurely swim in the ocean in the numbers they do now at any time previously in human history.

Most sharks are protected now on the east coast, and they are beginning to make a come back. For example, as was mentioned by reddog, the great white population on the east coast is getting to a point where it's inevitable that a person will be attacked. If you are a fisherman and you catch a great white, you can get fined for landing the fish. So where any fisherman would have killed that fish in the past, they will avoid it at all cost because it's a protected species.

People have become way too removed from nature, so that we are no longer aware of how dangerous it is.

I don't think it's dangerous to surf on the east coast at this time. I mean relatively. However, in the future, that will almost certainly become less true than it is today. If in several decades people are regularly getting eaten by sharks while surfing off of New England or the Carolinas, then we will all have a different perspective.

12. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Kill em.. sharks have way more places to be other than my surf breaks.. you hang out in my part of town and mess with my homies dey get a cap in dem sharky axes. Surfers need a more Atlantic City mentality.

13. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010

I have no problem with there not being a very healthy white shark population on the east coast. There are plenty of white sharks in the world. Things are definitely out of balance in Reunion. If your friends were getting taken out on a regular basis you want to kill them too. Culling some sharks in Reunion will have no affect on worldwide shark populations. Most of the attacks are by bulls anyway and there are plenty of bull sharks in the world. Time to thin the herd.

14. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I see where Slater is coming from. The population of sharks have increased in near shore waters and their feeding habits have adjusted due to offshore fish being decimated. It's no different than your local deer population getting out of control and opening up hunting season. There's not enough cayotes to keep up with how fast deer multiply so we have to establish means of control or else it becomes dangerous.

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

It need not be man-made, nynj. Reunion sits in a geographic location that provides ample opportunities for reef development, and therefore further opportunities for food chain development, all the way up to top predators. Subsequently, it then is ideally located to be a favored breeding ground for predators as well. I would bet that the same side of the island where the surf is best, and the sharks like, happens also to be the side of the islands that get deep water upwellings, bringing food for corals and smaller organisms, setting a good base for the food chain.
    Diving should be awesome there.

16. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Something along this line is already in the process for organ harvesting.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/545106/human-animal-chimeras-are-gestating-on-us-research-farms/

17. northendcanyon

Mar 21, 2013
    Respectfully, Sir, but the problem there is man-made. The fish populations have been destroyed by over fishing. Which isn't peculiar.

But it's not only that, the people there used to eat shark meat before it was banned due to the presence of a bacteria that was causing disease. Probably something from the reef.

Also it's important to note that historically, before 2011, the island had very few instances of shark attacks. However, since then, they have experienced 50% of the worlds shark attacks on one small stretch of beach.

I'm fairly compassionate in regards to wild life, I Wouldn't want to senselessly kill any creature. But in this situation it makes sense.

And again, this is highly important, in the United States we practiced indiscriminate culling of sharks for centuries. The repercussions of which are still with us today. Those effects are slowly being undone, which isn't something I'm actually against, but it will have implications and it will change our outlook in the future, In my opinion.

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Instead of killing them, would catching a sh*t ton of them and relocating them to various places around the globe to spread them out more be a good idea? Would it work? Would they just find their way back eventually? Just an idea.

19. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You could be right. I am not aware of their fishing and eating habits.
    The bacterial disease was affecting humans, or the sharks?? If humans, maybe they should have washed their hands before cooking--that accounts for about 99% of bacteria ingested by humans.
    Anyway, sounds as if the bull sharks filled an empty biological niche as top predators, and surfers filled same in as top prey.