Your 1st Skateboard

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Mar 17, 2017.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Mine was a Proline... opaque light blue, plastic deck, urethane wheels... now considered "vintage" and worth some money.

Second was a fiberglass deck made at a local surf shop, with tracker trucks and Sims wheels and bearings.

Then a Powell.

2. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Nice! They just built a huge (to me) concrete park a 5 minute bike ride from me. Some nice sloping transitions, a big shallow bowl, and a super deep pool. The tony hawk foundation put up $10k for the park if that's any indication of how nice it is.

Being somewhat novice, I got me some knee/elbow/wrist pads and a helmet. I'm going out tomorrow before the sun comes up and before all the neighborhood kiddies come out :cool:

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Dude all i wanted as a kid was some concrete to skate, like the stuff I'd see pics of out in Californeeway, I'm gonna invest in some pads and **** too bc I'm deffo gonna fall.

4. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    1977. Santa Cruz with Tracker Trucks and white YoYo's. Around the time that raiding local drained pools was popular.

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Suite! That's some good times right there.

6. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Dunno what brand but something like this. I didn't buy them, I'd just steal them from my older brother. And piss him off as I'd go out the driveway and down the hill and he couldn't catch me. He'd beat me a$$ when I came home though. Of course since I'm a dumb wookie I'd do it again the next day. Guess that's how I learned to take a butt-whooping.

I remember it was plastic, orange, and had a kick tail. A mind-blowing innovation at the time.

orange.jpg

The other one he had was like this one, but transparent blue and no kicker.

blue.jpg

No pads, no helmets. We used to do what we called a "catamaran", where one person would sit on one board, and the other on the other board, lock legs, and ride down the hill...just like a street catamaran. Came off one day and got drug down the street on my a$$. Still the biggest strawberry I've ever had.

Skating ended for me the day we were running downhills and I got the speed wobbles and slammed my head so bad I couldn't tell you what had happened for the last six years. So I devoted my time to trying to kill myself on BMX bikes and then moto-x. Didn't skate again until a few years back when RCarter hooked me up with a deck and got my pansy a$$ back into it.

Now I'm the old weirdo who goes tearing through the hood sometimes...

7. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    6 Years? That's crazy!

8. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Yeah, that was some freaky sheet. Woke up on the counter at my house. My friends had to carry\guide me home. It was weird, I couldn't remember anything but somehow knew my sister (the oldest) had moved out of the house. I said "What is Natalie doing here?" My a-hole brother says, "She just landed in her helicopter out back." I take off out the back door looking for it, with my brother laughing his head off the whole time.

Over time things came back. I mean I can remember every Christmas, school, b-day, etc...but no idea what was lost.

Not the last of my concussions. Too many hits to the head...does explain a lot though.

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    tlok, you are bringing back some memories man. I don't think we called it a catamaran but me and my bro did the same thing.

How about the tail and nose accessories? I remember putting the rails, tail skid, and nose protector on that Madrid board and pimping it out (neon bright style)!!!

10. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Right on man. Hopefully you didn't do the a$$ drag halfway down the street like I did.

Yep I remember those. And the first kid to show up with them instantly became The Boss.

I wonder why snowborts never went through a neon phase, seems like every other kind of bort did.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Damn that's crazy! Good thing you got some of it back, sh*t.

12. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks man. That was some Twilight Zone sheet. I always been too stupid to let pain keep me from doing stuff, but that was just too freaky. Didn't want to go near a skatebort after that.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Can't blame ya.

14. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Don't know what my first board was. All I know was it had clay wheels. It was a flea market special. I was 8.
    My first real board (sorta) was a Sims Screamer.
    222x600_sims_screamer_black1.jpg
    After that I went through numerous Zorlacs and of course a Vision Gator model.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Vision Gators were awesome!

16. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    first skateboard was an alien workshop deck,dont know the logistics on the hardware and model I bought the board from an older friend who stopped skating.bones bearings are the only thing I remember about skateboards.

lol I was at this skate demo a few years into skating,u know still a little kid probably 11 or 12.they started doing giveaways,and they said whoever has the most beat up board gets a new one.there was kids snapping their boards in half,banging them up lol,i ended up winning and got a flip board.it was kuel...

wish I could still skate but I feel like my bones are giving up,i cant flow like I used to.i used to be really good.i feel its a lot easier getting sponsors surfing rather than skating.nobody cares about skating,surfing all u need is one good wave on tape and ur set

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Flip were decent boarts, my buddies liked them.

18. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Lol, we used to do catamarans down Montezuma Hill, coming down from SDSU.

Until we got pulled over by the cops lol

19. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I had a Valterra, then a Powell Lance Mountain, then a mini hawk, then a Santa Cruz Claus Grabke, then a Schmit Stix, the lost god on and on

20. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    "Rainbow Rider" I got at JCPenny back around 1974. It had a plywood deck (no kicktail), Chicago trucks and urethane wheels (loose bearings).

This was at a time when you could pretty much only buy skateboards in the toy section of department stores. Soon after, the skateboard craze hit and bicycle stores got all kinds of skateboard inventory...or you could buy them through Skateboarder magazine.

After that first board, I bought an "Infinity" (yes, the surfboard maker) fiberglass kicktail deck. I used the trucks from my first board and put "extenders" on the axles, with some Sims "Bowl Riders" for the ultimate 70s flare.

After destroying the Infinity, I moved everything over to a "Banzai" aluminum deck (from glass splinters to what quickly became the equivalent of a serrated knife...kinda glad someone stole that setup).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017