What's your water camera setup, cost, etc.?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by salt, Mar 20, 2017.

1. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Go pro 4 (80$) is all I need. Don't film me self just others and da waves. I'm from da south and you talk funny O Barry.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

To youz guys, we do.
    To us guys, you do.
    But....I am originally from wayyy south of where you are. When I first got here, "me no spicking inglich".

3. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    How to learn a new language by immersion: sleep with a "dictionary".

4. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    My son in SF did that. He actually called his translator his "Spanish Dictionary." It seemed to work for him.

5. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Yeah it works. Unfortunately (or fortunately) you learn all the dirty stuff first.

I'm thinking about learning Japanese or Russian next.

6. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Smart son.

7. CBSCREWBY

Feb 21, 2012
    Being married for thirty years, all I can speak is English with a southern twang!

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Twang?? Buy and learn banjo. That is what I would do......

9. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    Married to Blaster's sister?

10. CBSCREWBY

Feb 21, 2012
    Yep... So is Blaster...

And Barry, No Sh!t.. I was talking to my wife about buying a banjo a couple of days ago!!! Seriously, I have a handful of guitars, a bass, a ukulele, but no banjo...

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

When you come looking for me, don't bring a weapon bring the banjo--we can play that song from Deliverance (I do play guitar, but never as well as I would like to).

12. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    When I went to college I realized I didn't speak English. I grew up on an island around gullah people so naturally talked as they did. Had to translate for my old man from upstate NY. When he spoke the whole room would get quiet because there was damn yankee in the room.lol. Now probably way more yankees here than southerners here. Love to hear the old Charlestoners speak. It' is an accent unto it's own.

13. Hawky

Hawky Well-Known Member

May 9, 2014
    Heres my setup, for anyones whos interested:

I picked up a Sony a6300 for a great deal at $700. It's a great all-around camera and its very affordable for what it has to offer. The new A6500 runs about $1400. I'd reccommend shopping around for a camera that fits your required specs. My first camera was a Nikon and i absolutely loved it.

For housing, i use HCWhousings. The owner makes custom housings for any camera for a quoted price. Mine was around $800. Really great company, if you're looking for a water housing shoot him an email. hcwhousings@gmail.com www.hcwhousings.com

Surf photography will forever be a hobby to me. There is some money to be made, but i don't think anyone could make a living being an east coast surf photographer. If you can, more power to ya.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hawky reppin hard these days. Goode jobbe amigo.

15. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    The late great Mickie McCarthy posted a tutorial on his facebook page about a year ago showing his process to build a water housing for a DSLR. The process was pretty simple and doable if you are any good with fiberglass and resin and the process could be adapted for any camera. Might be worth a search.

16. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
  17. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    This thread piqued my interest, I'm in the market for a new camera for the wife. Problem is, I don't understand most of what's being discussed because of the terminology. So help me out here fellers, and try to dumb it down for me a bit.

What I'm looking for: Something in the range of $500 or less with a fairly speedy motor drive for sequence shooting, and a quality zoom because the surf generally breaks very far out with a lot of soup in between.

Strong, simple and quality for rank amateurs. Nothing frilly or fancy

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Buy her a Kodak Brownie.
    Is that dumbed down enough?? lol

19. kidde rocque

Mar 6, 2016
    O abuelito

no mames buey

20. CJsurf

CJsurf Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2014
    I have used both the Sony superzoom and the Canon superzoom and gotten respectable results. Here are links. I think the Canon has a slight edge on burst shooting.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-S...qid=1492563499&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+superzoom

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powers...id=1492564014&sr=1-1&keywords=canon+superzoom

Here are some pictures I took using the Sony.......and mine is the previous model version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]