Surf Taiwan

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by zagaff3r, Mar 22, 2017.

1. zagaff3r

zagaff3r Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Anybody ever surf Taiwan? Seems like it would get good swell exposure on the East Coast. With the Chinese pushing Hainan as a destination, it seems like Taiwan would be an even better destination with more reliable conditions. Probably easier to get a visa too. what's the low-down?

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Truth be told--east facing beaches do not get better swell. In fact, due to Earth rotation, and Coriollis effect for winds, west facing shores do much much better on swell size, etc. Is there something about Taiwan that differs from that rule?? I doubt it, but, then again, I have never been there.
    Good luck if you go.

3. zagaff3r

Dec 30, 2016
    Im not sure you're right about that Barry. Gold Coast Australia comes to mind right off the bat. I know the East Coast of the PI goes off, Tanzania, Zanzibar, Madagascar are also supposed to get awesome surf, just way too sharky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  4. nopantsLance

nopantsLance Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
  5. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You could be right. I suppose what I read is "generality" of swell directions, many locations may be exempt or different. Try looking with Surfline--maybe they have some kind of a write-up on Taiwan, or maybe even a cam?

6. zagaff3r

Dec 30, 2016
    What, surflies! Blasphemy

Swellinfo for all Mescal, financial, and surf advise or pound sand

7. zagaff3r

Dec 30, 2016
    Hey Speedbump, haven't you spent some time over there?

8. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Yeah--they do suck, don't they?
    No organization has done more damage to surfing than Surfline. Truth

9. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Gaff all the pics I seen make it look kinda soft, albeit uncrowded
    never been, but I reckon with your talent/desires you'd be left wanting in Taiwan

just a guess, but if I was heading that way Id just go someplace a little juicier

honestly thinking about nica for a summer getaway, offshore all day and I know it, but could get to bali with little more air time....choices.....choices.....

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You know, I know a lot of guys going to Nica, and many of them (but not all), have told me Nica is over-rated. It is the "new Costa Rica", unbridled enthusiasm for now, but soon to be crowded with gringos packing line ups, then the realization that the surf isn't really all that good. I have never been, so, who knows what is true? BTW, the guys that downplay it, are all better surfers, than the ones that think the place is heaven.

11. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I want to go to bali. Going to be heading to CR later this year in the late fall/early winter just because i hadn't been on a real surf trip in far too long. And it's quick and easy. Plus i really want to surf witches rock. But after that I'm thinking bali will be the next years trip

12. HelpHelpLetMeOut

HelpHelpLetMeOut Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    barry I haven't been in 13 years but I remember Colorados being empty and tubes all day
    I know its not empty now, but that waves is legit fun, not crazy, but fun tubes

13. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    There was a vid on Fuel TV about 8 yrs ago(when they showed surf vids) where they highlighted a surf trip to Taiwan.. I can't remember the surfer who did the trip but it was a pretty cool vid. The island itself looks pretty tropical, lots of rainforests and waterfalls. I can't remember exactly how the waves were, which coastline ect.. but thinking it would be a pretty unique trip. Not much of a scene out there which adds to the appeal.

14. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Holy sh!t, haven't been on for a while but I have achieved "senior member" status! I'm coming up in the world

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Was it on the show "Drive Thru"?

16. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    It wasn't drive thru, it was a married couple that would travel and surf together. They were on the crunchy side, I remember liking the show.

17. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    These folks? Google Island Hoppers if so...

[video=youtube;pj5rULouFyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5rULouFyU[/video]

18. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    taiwan gets some, and it gets pretty good. Philippines is the surfing destination over there, and it's not hard to see why - B-utiful beaches. Something to how the sand works there too. but yea taiwan gets some big faces close to their stormy seasons- believe that's right before March

19. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    LOL, no, it was a regular half hour show they had every week. At one point the girl had a kid. I remember the Bali episode they did and the monkeys focking with them. Now it's going to drive me crazy. The Taiwan episode had a guy with no arms on the beach that they befriended, the human aspect of the episode. Also they ran into some pro surfer out there, I think it was one of the Malloys.

20. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    LOL I tried.